Peterloo Massacre 200th anniversary 16th August

Re: The Peterloo Memorial Rally on Sunday

Think he's currently on Wiki looking for some other important event.

Thought he might come back with the Splitting of the atom or the first Rolls Royce etc. FFS.

Peterloo was to do with real people and their lives.

Mike N said:
Think he's currently on Wiki looking for some other important event.

Thought he might come back with the Splitting of the atom or the first Rolls Royce etc. FFS.

Peterloo was to do with real people and their lives.

and led to the Manchester Guardian and little circle or reformers that pressed for and eventually helped achieve indirectly getting through parliament the Reform Act 1832, but hey ho that's not important really is it

dazdon said:
For me Peterloo was the most important event in Manchester's history.
It was one of the most significant but the most important was when a group of Flemish weavers discovered that the damp climate made Manchester ideal for textile work. Or when Richard Arkwright opened the first cotton mill.

Prestwich_Blue said:
dazdon said:
For me Peterloo was the most important event in Manchester's history.
It was one of the most significant but the most important was when a group of Flemish weavers discovered that the damp climate made Manchester ideal for textile work. Or when Richard Arkwright opened the first cotton mill.
Agreed.

Ducado said:
Mike N said:
SaintGeorge67 said:
I quite like the Piccadilly idea actually.

I'm told Manchester had applied to host some major UNICEF event at Manchester Central in 2019 (I forget the specifics) which would also be a nice touch.

I think the renaming of Piccadilly station with Peterloo Station would be a fantastic idea. M.C.C. need to do something significant and long-lasting to mark the most important event in Manchester and one of the most important in the country's history.
It was not the most important event in the history of Manchester

In your opinion.
But then I suppose if you had been around in those days you would have banned the march anyway, then taken the credit for preventing a massacre.
Or possibly just told everyone gathered there that the march had run it's course, so you were locking it.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Ducado said:
Mike N said:
I think the renaming of Piccadilly station with Peterloo Station would be a fantastic idea. M.C.C. need to do something significant and long-lasting to mark the most important event in Manchester and one of the most important in the country's history.

In your opinion.
But then I suppose if you had been around in those days you would have banned the march anyway, then taken the credit for preventing a massacre.
Or possibly just told everyone gathered there that the march had run it's course, so you were locking it.
This amuses me greatly.

Ducado said:
Mike N said:

In your opinion.

Good to see Nij's sabre is nice and sharp today.

Ducado said:
Mike N said:

In your opinion.
Whilst very funny as always I do think PB has a point regarding the reason why Manchester became Cottonopolis. Without that it would have remained a provincial town with a tiny population.

SWP's back said:
Ducado said:

In your opinion.
Whilst very funny as always I do think PB has a point regarding the reason why Manchester became Cottonopolis. Without that it would have remained a provincial town with a tiny population.

My mum used to always say this and my great Auntie used to say that without the Belgians Hitler would never have bombed Manchester/Stockport. Both also used to say that people from Bury speak funny because all the Belgians settled there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.