Peterloo Massacre 200th anniversary 16th August

Re: The Peterloo Memorial Rally on Sunday

moggymoz said:
Rascal said:
blueish swede said:
the publication of “Conditions of the working class in England”, which led to the meeting between Marx and Engels.

Probably right up there that in terms of influence in the world.

I dont think Manchester as a City has a defining moment, it is a defining City. For a smallish City our influence on the world has been immense and its something im really proud of.

The one thing that im most proud of though is the statue of Abraham Lincoln in our City. Our forefathers undertook hardship to help Lincolns goal of emancipation whilst the scousers ran ships to help the Confederacy.

Manchester is a City built on graft, honesty, innovation, morals and political idealism whilst that city down the road was built on the profits of slavery

So where the f**k did it all go wrong :(

Some cunts started the rags :))

Rascal said:
blueish swede said:
the publication of “Conditions of the working class in England”, which led to the meeting between Marx and Engels.

Probably right up there that in terms of influence in the world.

I dont think Manchester as a City has a defining moment, it is a defining City. For a smallish City our influence on the world has been immense and its something im really proud of.

The one thing that im most proud of though is the statue of Abraham Lincoln in our City. Our forefathers undertook hardship to help Lincolns goal of emancipation whilst the scousers ran ships to help the Confederacy.

Manchester is a City built on graft, honesty, innovation, morals and political idealism whilst that city down the road was built on the profits of slavery

It has always been a very radical City in terms of what we would call left and right wing thinking.

When I say that Peterloo was not the most important event in the Cities History (remembering the origins of the City go back to pre Roman times) I do not mean to decry the the terrible event

Unfortunately, Manchester's Tourist Board appears these days to bestow more significance upon football and some pilled-up herbert shaking maracas.

The world would be a very different place without Manchester, the first industrial city in the world. It really is impossible to quantify how much Manchester helped mold the whole world.

Manchester would not be the city it is without Peterloo. Really hope the city gives the respect it deserves when the 200 year anniversary comes round.

Mike N said:
The world would be a very different place without Manchester, the first industrial city in the world. It really is impossible to quantify how much Manchester helped mold the whole world.

Manchester would not be the city it is without Peterloo. Really hope the city gives the respect it deserves when the 200 year anniversary comes round.

I'm sure Pat Karney will do his best to make a balls up of it!

urban genie said:
SWP's back said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
In your opinion.
But then I suppose if you had been around in those days you would have banned the march anyway, then taken the credit for preventing a massacre.
Or possibly just told everyone gathered there that the march had run it's course, so you were locking it.
Whilst very funny as always I do think PB has a point regarding the reason why Manchester became Cottonopolis. Without that it would have remained a provincial town with a tiny population.

he does, but cotton production had been around for many years before Arkwright had build his first mill in Manchester and the town was expanding and becoming an important Lancashire town, with the bridgrewater canal construction, it was always more than likely going to become a major city, and these thing preceded Peterloo, the reason some believe this is more important because it was an actual authority killing it's own people and that is significant because ultimately it changed public opinion to influence the extension of the right to vote gave impetus for the rise of the Chartists Movement and workers rights and we reap the benefit of this in the democracy we enjoy today. It was critical to our freedoms

Fucking the scousers off and opening the ship canal was quite significant

Manchester was also the place where Mr Rolls met with Mr Royce for the very first time to discuss the possibility of designing and making a motor car together. It was at the Midland hotel and there is a plaque on the wall outside.

stonerblue said:
urban genie said:
SWP's back said:
Whilst very funny as always I do think PB has a point regarding the reason why Manchester became Cottonopolis. Without that it would have remained a provincial town with a tiny population.

he does, but cotton production had been around for many years before Arkwright had build his first mill in Manchester and the town was expanding and becoming an important Lancashire town, with the bridgrewater canal construction, it was always more than likely going to become a major city, and these thing preceded Peterloo, the reason some believe this is more important because it was an actual authority killing it's own people and that is significant because ultimately it changed public opinion to influence the extension of the right to vote gave impetus for the rise of the Chartists Movement and workers rights and we reap the benefit of this in the democracy we enjoy today. It was critical to our freedoms

Fucking the scousers off and opening the ship canal was quite significant

Those scousers seem to be making a comeback with Liverpool being rebuilt on European Union grants. They seem to know every trick in the book so Maybe MCC should be seeking a EU grant for a suitable Peterloo memorial.

Yes, I know it says Sunday, the thread is from last year. Anyway, anyone know of anything planned tomorrow (Saturday 16th August)? I'll be taking a look around the Free Trade Hall / Peter Street area tomorrow, I expect that something will be occurring.

Or even two years ago...

Dalian Blue said:
Yes, I know it says Sunday, the thread is from last year. Anyway, anyone know of anything planned tomorrow (Saturday 16th August)? I'll be taking a look around the Free Trade Hall / Peter Street area tomorrow, I expect that something will be occurring.

Or even two years ago...

1pm tomorrow.

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/PeterlooMemoria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/PeterlooMemoria</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.