Peterloo Massacre 200th anniversary 16th August

Re: The Peterloo Memorial Rally

Bumping this as this years memorial is today at 1pm in St peters street for any who wish to pay their respects to those that died, Maxine Peak will be doing a reading

194 years On the 16th of August 1819 the huge open area around what's now St Peters Square, Manchester, played host to an outrage against over 60,000 peaceful pro-democracy and anti-poverty protesters; an event which became known as The Peterloo Massacre.

An estimated 18 people, including a woman and a child, died from saber cuts and trampling. Over 700 men, women and children received extremely serious injuries. All in the name of liberty and freedom from poverty.

The Massacre occurred during a period of immense political tension and mass protests. Fewer than 2% of the population had the vote, and hunger was rife with the disastrous corn laws making bread unaffordable.

urban genie said:
Bumping this as this years memorial is today at 1pm in St peters street for any who wish to pay their respects to those that died, Maxine Peak will be doing a reading

194 years On the 16th of August 1819 the huge open area around what's now St Peters Square, Manchester, played host to an outrage against over 60,000 peaceful pro-democracy and anti-poverty protesters; an event which became known as The Peterloo Massacre.

An estimated 18 people, including a woman and a child, died from saber cuts and trampling. Over 700 men, women and children received extremely serious injuries. All in the name of liberty and freedom from poverty.

The Massacre occurred during a period of immense political tension and mass protests. Fewer than 2% of the population had the vote, and hunger was rife with the disastrous corn laws making bread unaffordable.

Nice bump :)
Just 6 years until the 200th anniversary, Should be taught in all Manchester schools.

Re: The Peterloo Memorial Rally on Sunday

I agree that it should be taught in Schools, not so sure they should rename Piccadilly station Peterloo Station though

urban genie said:

I saw this today. Didn't hear Maxine's reading as I had to be elsewhere.
Quite a few floral bouquets left at the scene.

Hopefully they wont get kicked up and down Peter Street by the pissheads tonight.

I quite like the Piccadilly idea actually.

I'm told Manchester had applied to host some major UNICEF event at Manchester Central in 2019 (I forget the specifics) which would also be a nice touch.

Ducado said:
I agree that it should be taught in Schools, not so sure they should rename Piccadilly station Peterloo Station though

That would be fantastic.

Manchesters political history is something all mancunians should be very proud of.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.