Phil Foden - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to be sensible, let's talk practically about the future.

David Silva probably has 1 season left in him. That's when his contract ends and based on this season and how tired he's looked recently it looks about right.

So in 15 months time, August 2020, KDB/Gundogan/Bernardo/Foden needs to be as strong as Silva/KDB/Gundogan/Bernardo is now or our team gets significantly weaker (which isn't going to happen under Pep)

So Foden has 15 months to get up to a level where he's as useful as Bernardo and Gundogan now. Where he can start a huge game if he has to, where he can play 10 games in a row if there's injuries. That isn't going to happen magically overnight, or through playing a lower league team once a month, it has to happen through league minutes.

And if it doesn't happen, then the club will go and spend £80m+ on Aouar, or Joao Felix or whoever is the next big thing that summer, and then Foden will have to leave because his path will be blocked for 3/4/5 years by 4 players in their young-mid twenties.

That's why you move things around to accommodate a kid every now and then, because it saves you a huge amount of money, and it gets you a player with a unique connection to the club and fans.

It's not an emergency, we don't need to start playing him all the time straight away or throw him into huge games tomorrow, but he needs to start getting some serious league minutes in 2019, and that's not just going to happen on it's own.

And yes, he won't be quite as good as world class players on his first start, so the team will be slightly weaker that day, but that's just how it goes, and we'll still be much better on paper than the opposition because he'll be surrounded by 10 world class players.

Excellent post. Why can’t some posters understand there’s middle ground between starting League games and two-minute cameos? All most are asking for is some extra serious minutes.

The counter argument would be why cannot people simply accept he isn't ready for such minutes just yet, but his time will come

I do wonder if anyone has noticed that we have a fucking good team with serious players in every position. We have a manager who knows a thing or two about the very best players on the planet.

I cant help but think Foden is in good hands and will reach his potential partly as a result of the careful and considered introduction to senior football at the very highest level.

Baffles me why there is so much pant wetting going on about the lad. He will most likely go on to be one of Manchester Citys greatest players...maybe even the greatest. Sit back and enjoy his journey.

I do wonder if anyone has noticed that we have a fucking good team with serious players in every position. We have a manager who knows a thing or two about the very best players on the planet.

I cant help but think Foden is in good hands and will reach his potential partly as a result of the careful and considered introduction to senior football at the very highest level.

Baffles me why there is so much pant wetting going on about the lad. He will most likely go on to be one of Manchester Citys greatest players...maybe even the greatest. Sit back and enjoy his journey.

Of course we’ve noticed. And equally, you’ve probably noticed this is a discussion forum where even the best manager in the world can be held up to scrutiny.

Hopefully the lad’s humble enough, malleable enough and loyal enough to take the long view. Not everybody would. However, you’d assume Pep knows how far he can control him.

Pretty sure only Ryan Sessenyong(sp) has had more minutes in the Prem for players under the age of 21.

Pretty sure only Ryan Sessenyong(sp) has had more minutes in the Prem for players under the age of 21.

Assuming you mean just English players, then Trent Alexander-Armstrong, Morgan Gibbs-White, Tom Davies, Oliver Skipp, Kayne Ramsay, Dwight McNeil and Callum Slattery have all played more mins in the league than Foden this season. There may be others too.

Assuming you mean just English players, then Trent Alexander-Armstrong, Morgan Gibbs-White, Tom Davies, Oliver Skipp, Kayne Ramsay, Dwight McNeil and Callum Slattery have all played more mins in the league than Foden this season. There may be others too.
Hmmmm! How many of them are more talented. Not that that's the only factor.

They weren’t my facts they came from Sky.

I dun get people are asking more. He is just a kid. We don't want to overwork him yet. Look at rooney, he basically played too much as a kid and fell off the cliff before he was even 30. Besides we have the best midfield in the league and arguably in Europe, foden has to compete with both Silvas, KDB, sterling, sane and mahrez. If course it's tough. Give him time ffs

Another way of looking at it would be.

If he is happy to be here next season (not asking for a loan/transfer), then clearly he is happy with the situation regarding his game time and development. Im sure he has a road map to phasing in him completely, but next season will tell us a lot more about how he feels (not how some fans feel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.