Phil Foden....no longer just potential

I've thought this for a long while. He shares a lot of similarities to Lampard, in terms of his ability to get into dangerous areas and score goals.

Foden, though, has the extra facet of skills like Gazza, that ability to play between the lines with his back to goal, drive directly at players.

That makes him a helluva player already.

And he's ours!

He's about 3 feet narrower than Frank too, helps get through those tight gaps.

Also, I don't think it's luck, his relationship with Sterling. Raz puts in a lot of time with the young players to help mentor them, he's very close to Tosin as well, and Sancho when he was here.

Better than Silva is a big big call. Don’t think we will ever see a player who can dictate a game, control the ball and have the vision of Merlin
Different players though. And Merlin has to take some credit for nurturing Phil into the player he has become.

I know what you're saying - but for me, it's his football brain and vision, rather than his talent, that actually sets him apart from other emerging younger players. His link-up play is exceptional for someone so young and the one-two give and go last night, for me, perfectly emphasises just how in tune and aware he is on a football pitch.

Better than Silva is a big big call. Don’t think we will ever see a player who can dictate a game, control the ball and have the vision of Merlin
Different players though. And Merlin has to take some credit for nurturing Phil into the player he has become.
Foden could finally put to rest the discussion of who's better, Bell or Silva.

The answer is Foden (potentially).

I've thought this for a long while. He shares a lot of similarities to Lampard, in terms of his ability to get into dangerous areas and score goals.

Foden, though, has the extra facet of skills like Gazza, that ability to play between the lines with his back to goal, drive directly at players.

That makes him a helluva player already.

And he's ours!
You just have to watch the goal replay I posted further up in the thread to see what really makes Phil special.

Watch him take a glance over to Kev and the two defenders near him and make the decision not to immediately play a one-touch pass to Kev as Ilkay passes him the ball. Watch as he anticipates — and waits — for Robertson to rush in, taking a “extra” touch on the ball, baiting that thick, snide ****, using his instincts against him. Watch as Phil almost singlehandedly — with his run and positioning — makes the eventual acres of space Kev can then play a simple (for him) first time ball in to. And watch him read Allison’s response to know exactly how he needs to strike the ball first time to put it in the net.

What sets Phil apart from other equally technically gifted young players is his ability to read these discrete, “micro situations”, determine the possible solutions, and consistently select the optimal one, chaining those optimal solutions in to sequences of beauty (and productivity). It’s his innate football intelligence.

It’s what set King Colin apart from the rest. It’s what sets El Mago and the Ginger Prince apart.

And it’s what sets the new Manc monarch apart.

Long may he reign in a sky blue shirt.

Love him, I won't compare him to Silva at all as they are different players. Foden is direct, takes players on, moves the pitch forwards. Maybe in a few years he will drop back a bit and dictate games but at the minute hes playing like he did when he was at school. Any chance he has a Spanish grandparent or anything. Keep him far away from Gareth and the dinosaurs.

Like Christmas Day, we all knew Phil would arrive sooner or later, he’s been held back like a hungry lion & unleashed on the premier league, what a performance that was last night, on the pitch a billion pound of talent, and only Kev could surpass his brilliance. We’ve come back firing after lockdown & I don’t think it’s a coincidence he missed our only off par performance. The pace at which he operates at is what impresses me the most, whether he’s closing somebody down, the speed of a pass or a late run into the box, he’s clinical in front of goal and very two footed, I loved watching his battles with both scally full backs, they even had to switch them to stop him drifting inside, the way he plays can only be infectious to other players & our press is much better when he plays. There’s been a fair bit of negativity around the place with UEFA/CAS, Leroy’s departure and Sergio’s injury, and a large amount of squabbling on here! but at least we’ll all agree, this lad is a world beater and he’s ours : )
Love the way he always Wants the ball.

It’s been a pleasure watching his development.
The skill was always there. That was plain to see.
The stamina and pace was what he lacked and maybe had a lot to learn about pep’s tactics.

but each season the gap narrowed as his physical attributes caught up with fully developed athletes.
Just last season he looked half a yard slower than a top four team and that seems to have disappeared altogether now.
I don’t think he will play 3 or 4 games on the trot just yet otherwise we will just burn him out and waste all the hard work and patience getting him to this point.

the best bit about him? He hasn’t had his goal scoring coached out of him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.