Phil Foden PFA Player of the Year and 4 City players in PFA Team of the Year

People who follow individual players more than clubs, or football generally, don't make much sense to me. I don't mean taking an interest in a player or coach, because you like them. I mean obsessing over them and spinning agendas as you say with Mahrez (who I was a big fan of to be honest, but still).

Ronaldo has the most extreme and insane of these 'celebrity worshipping fans'. Many of them seem far more interested in Ronaldo than football itself.
Yeah that's the ugly face of modern football, its not like footballers weren't always worshipped by some, we have had Maradona, Pele etc but these players were very well aware of the fact that they were footballers first and the fans and endorsement deals just came along with that but now we have PR teams turning players into brands instead of footballers.

I think it started with Ibrahimovic and his team coming up with all those stupid "Ibra doesn't use an umbrella when it rains, the rain uses an umbrella when Ibra steps out" basically mindless, childish memes.

More recently we have seen this with Bellingham, it might have worked for him (still early days) but unfortunately the results aren't always favourable, A certain footballer called Anthony comes to mind, a footballer, who at this point might as well be a caricature character in a Monty Python skit.

Yeah that's the ugly face of modern football, its not like footballers weren't always worshipped by some, we have had Maradona, Pele etc but these players were very well aware of the fact that they were footballers first and the fans and endorsement deals just came along with that but now we have PR teams turning players into brands instead of footballers.

I think it started with Ibrahimovic and his team coming up with all those stupid "Ibra doesn't use an umbrella when it rains, the rain uses an umbrella when Ibra steps out" basically mindless, childish memes.

More recently we have seen this with Bellingham, it might have worked for him (still early days) but unfortunately the results aren't always favourable, A certain footballer Anthony comes to mind, a player who might as well be a caricature character in a Monty Python skit.
Yeah I totally agree. As you say back in the days of Pele and Maradona they were aware they were footballers first.

Footballers now seem like they wanna be celebrities as much as they wanna play football. I really don't like the likes of Ronaldo and Ibra for this reason. And as for Bellingham, - he's obviously a good player but the hype around him is just repulsive, severe PR and every aspect of his life seems micromanaged.

Antony is too poor a player to even benefit from his attempts at PR as you suggest.

Like you say it's the face of modern football. It's just the way it is. I suppose it was inevitable in a world with the internet, social media, far more games on TV, and less distinction between sportspeople and movie stars, musicians etc. Maybe we are old guys stuck in the past. But I do think it's a bad thing about modern football and ruins some players' attitudes.

Yeah I totally agree. As you say back in the days of Pele and Maradona they were aware they were footballers first.

Footballers now seem like they wanna be celebrities as much as they wanna play football. I really don't like the likes of Ronaldo and Ibra for this reason. And as for Bellingham, - he's obviously a good player but the hype around him is just repulsive, severe PR and every aspect of his life seems micromanaged.

Antony is too poor a player to even benefit from his attempts at PR as you suggest.

Like you say it's the face of modern football. It's just the way it is. I suppose it was inevitable in a world with the internet, social media, far more games on TV, and less distinction between sportspeople and movie stars, musicians etc. Maybe we are old guys stuck in the past. But I do think it's a bad thing about modern football and ruins some players' attitudes.
The PR massaging by the Rag Diaspora and the RDAHMeedya will last until the next match and/or where he finds himself at a loose end!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.