Philippines

Have a transfer from airport to hotel sorted if arriving that late, just as a general rule of thumb, save the independnent travel adventure stuff until you have woken up fresh after the long flight

Haha sounds good fun, agree Manila is very edgy, similar to Bangkok
Watched City get battered by Thailand all stars in Manila, think that was about ten years ago.

Philippines is certainly nowhere near as cheap as it used to be, not helped by our crappy pound; everything has doubled in price in last ten years. Booze from supermarket is ridiculously cheap. Makati is the financial district / bar area and is probably one of the safest/ commonly frequented part of Manila by tourists.

Manila is most definitely more dangerous than Bangkok. I’ve only had a few nights in Manila compared to months in Bangkok, never felt unsafe in Bangkok yet Manila is a different story. Dodgy as fuck. Not a bright idea to get in trouble with any of the locals, that goes for both Filipinos and Thais, a lot of them don’t value life and will kill you without blinking.

South East Asia is becoming very expensive, Thailand especially. The baht is strong against all countries and it’s driving many westerners away. Love philipinnes too, but I can’t stand the food. Compared to other SE Asia countries, the food is fucking vile. Do fancy another trip to Angeles and Palawan this Christmas though.

Manila is most definitely more dangerous than Bangkok. I’ve only had a few nights in Manila compared to months in Bangkok, never felt unsafe in Bangkok yet Manila is a different story. Dodgy as fuck. Not a bright idea to get in trouble with any of the locals, that goes for both Filipinos and Thais, a lot of them don’t value life and will kill you without blinking.

South East Asia is becoming very expensive, Thailand especially. The baht is strong against all countries and it’s driving many westerners away. Love philipinnes too, but I can’t stand the food. Compared to other SE Asia countries, the food is fucking vile. Do fancy another trip to Angeles and Palawan this Christmas though.
Agree with you on both counts mate. Manila is far more dangerous than Bangkok and the food is generally pretty wank.

Certainly never wanted to mislead anyone, Manila is definitely more dangerous than Bangkok, but there is no reason you can't enjoy it, cracking City with so many possible adventures!

Saying that his choice wasn't Bangkok or Manila, he already decided to go Philippines.
Personally as a City I would rather go Bangkok than Manila, Bangkok has much more to offer for the tourist but that's another discussion

I never had any issues in Manila, was even singing Bluemoon in a cinema with over a thousand Pacquiauo fans during their fight in 2010? and no mither! Seen much more trouble in Angeles and Cebu, you always have to be aware of the risks and sometimes/ some people enjoy the buzz more.
Worst place I have seen for foreigner injuries was Ko Phangan in Thailand; but I wouldn't recommend people not to travel there, quite the opposite.

Truth is Mindanao is also much more dangerous than Manila; issues with the MILF, but you could also mention the major issues on the Southern border with Thailand and Malaysia. Risk of getting caught with opium / blow, going Viking on magic mushrooms, swimming with sharks, getting bitten by cobras or getting drugged/ robbed by Ladies / beaten by katoeys. Philippines also has much higher risk with Volcano and Earth quakes, god I'm jealous sitting here wishing I was in SEA!
Philippines is much cheaper/ less spoiled than Thailand as it isn't overrun with tourists, sadly it is becoming much more popular and more locals are also travelling; with that development increases, prices increase and there will be more people in that special hidden lagoon etc.

Truth is neither are safe compared to U.K, but life is for living so go out and grab what you want!
Work Hard Play Hard, I'm a bit of a loose cannon so my advise is probably not always best!

Read the latest consulate advise (Bohol did have warnings previously), I'm assuming you are travelling alone so best err on the side of caution if that is your personality or better still find a travelling companion!

Cheers

Last edited:
Yeah as it stands I will be travelling solo. I've put the idea out to a few mates but I'm not waiting around for them to say yay or nay.

I'm a pretty experienced traveller, but I do understand that Philippines is perhaps a notch or 2 below the likes of Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore/Bali (areas in SE Asia I've been) in terms of safety in certain areas. But that doesn't put me off in the slightest, I shall keep my wits about me and I don't plan on heading off the beaten track too much.

I got me head kicked in at Kiev away in February 2016 so I do, sadly, have experience of a bit of bother whilst abroad haha

Yeah as it stands I will be travelling solo. I've put the idea out to a few mates but I'm not waiting around for them to say yay or nay.

I'm a pretty experienced traveller, but I do understand that Philippines is perhaps a notch or 2 below the likes of Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore/Bali (areas in SE Asia I've been) in terms of safety in certain areas. But that doesn't put me off in the slightest, I shall keep my wits about me and I don't plan on heading off the beaten track too much.

I got me head kicked in at Kiev away in February 2016 so I do, sadly, have experience of a bit of bother whilst abroad haha

Nice one (not that you got your head kicked in though), probably don't need to say it but make sure you get decent travel insurance sorted

Can be more fun travelling solo, you make the adventure and do things on your own time

Nice one (not that you got your head kicked in though), probably don't need to say it but make sure you get decent travel insurance sorted

Can be more fun travelling solo, you make the adventure and do things on your own time

Yeah in some respects I prefer travelling solo, I like being able to do what I want, when I want, without compromise. I'm comfortable in my own company so it really doesn't bother me. I've backpacked a couple of times in my youth on my own.

In Feb this year I did Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, Penang, Ko Lipe, Singapore and Doha on my own. Was supposed to be with the gf but we split up before departure, so I thought fuck it lets crack on and had an amazing couple of weeks. Can appreciate why that wouldn't appeal to some people but personally I find solo travel can be almost liberating and strangely addictive.

Basically I'm a selfish twat! :)

Yeah in some respects I prefer travelling solo, I like being able to do what I want, when I want, without compromise. I'm comfortable in my own company so it really doesn't bother me. I've backpacked a couple of times in my youth on my own.

In Feb this year I did Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, Penang, Ko Lipe, Singapore and Doha on my own. Was supposed to be with the gf but we split up before departure, so I thought fuck it lets crack on and had an amazing couple of weeks. Can appreciate why that wouldn't appeal to some people but personally I find solo travel can be almost liberating and strangely addictive.

You can say that again, didn't pop round for a cup of tea whilst you were in my home city:-(

How was Lipe? Not been for about 10 years but fancy going back soon

If you decide to head to Palawan or Mindanao, check the Home Office website first, as a while ago they issued advice not to go to those areas, due to the Islamic Fundamentalists, Abu Sayyaf. This would invalidate any insurance you have, if you ignore it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.