Pitch invasions

It’s not now become a tradition… a City pitch invasion has long been a tradition.

Bert Trautmann testimonial, 1964
League title win, 1968
European Cup Winners Cup final, 1970
Relegating United at Old Trafford, 1974
Relegation v Luton, 1983
Promotion v Charlton, 1985
Promotion v Bradford, 1989
FA Cup quarter final v Spurs, 1993
Last game of the Kippax v Chelsea, 1994
Play-off semi v Wigan, 1999
Second to last game v Birmingham, 2000
Blackburn away, 2000
Agüerooooo!, 2012
League title win, 2014
First home game after league title win, 2018
League title trophy presentation game, 2018
League title win, 2022
First home game after league title win and league title trophy presentation game, 2023

I’m sure there’ll be more I’ve missed and I’m sure they go back further than 1964, that’s just the earliest my Father can remember of them.

City released a documentary about our fans swarming to Blackburn and invading the Ewood pitch.

I didn’t go on the pitch yesterday but I wasn’t particularly arsed that people did. It lasted 11 minutes (I did keep an eye on the time of it), it’s not like it was a 45 minutes delay to the presentation.

Great post mate, a true City fan of old

Why is everyone being so miserable. We used to pitch invade every single season on the last game. It was our way of letting the club know we are happy. I think it’s an incredible thing. No other club does it. Just us.
It’s not being miserable, it’s respecting the club’s wishes which are there due to the governing body’s rules, the law (whether you agree or disagree) and their duty to ensure the safety of employees, contractors and visitors (including supporters). By continuing to do it the club have to anticipate it will continue which means higher costs on match day in terms of numbers of stewards and police and potential fines, all of which ends up passed back to us in higher ticket prices.

But hey ho, go ahead, have your fun.

Why is everyone being so miserable. We used to pitch invade every single season on the last game. It was our way of letting the club know we are happy. I think it’s an incredible thing. No other club does it. Just us.
Have to remember that this is the players and officials place of work and they should be able work in a safe environment as would all employees

I enjoyed reading that post, thanks for that. I mean it.

However, if you are invading the pitch because it is 'tradition', you've pretty much missed the point of a pitch invasion.

If you are invading it to take selfies, pictures of your kids on the pitch, vlogs on a stick, you've missed the point.

If you are invading the pitch to do a few staged shitty knee slides..

If you are invading the pitch to appear on TV..

If you are invading the pitch to try wreck the goal posts, to hold up a shitty banner, to take part in a look-alike contest, to protest ticket prices... you've missed the bloody point.

That's what yesterday's one was, all of the above. The only thing it wasnt, was a spontaneous outburst of joy and emotion. Which is pretty much the main damn point.

And it was obvious well ahead it was never going to be that, this year. It was anything from a piss poor failed attempt at recreating scenes from 2012, to a laughable embarrassment.

The rest, i.e arguing people are miserable, too woke, not working class enough, pitch invasions are good etc etc, is just deflection and a distraction.

Not one person here has said anything of merit about yesterday's one. The only positives noted are, it was fairly short and nobody got hurt. Wow, great!

I think you’re wrong. It was about pure emotion, as well as tradition. It’s our way of appreciating the club and it has been for years and years. Too many people were overjoyed at seeing City win another title and we might never win it again. I genuinely don’t understand why it’s offended some people and all I can think of, is must be purely down to ‘don’t break the rules’ mentality, ‘keep the establishment happy’.

It’s the latest look at me moment for the social media generation

there was basically a queue in the family stand for people waiting to get on the pitch , no one trying to stop them , no one batting an eyelid

the club were broadcasting warnings pre match and again at half time

just stay off the pitch eh , you’ve made yourself and the club look a laughing stock

I think you’re wrong. It was about pure emotion, as well as tradition. It’s our way of appreciating the club and it has been for years and years. Too many people were overjoyed at seeing City win another title and we might never win it again. I genuinely don’t understand why it’s offended some people and all I can think of, is must be purely down to ‘don’t break the rules’ mentality, ‘keep the establishment happy’.
You think it can only be down to those two things? Have you not been reading the thread?

It’s not being miserable, it’s respecting the club’s wishes which are there due to the governing body’s rules, the law (whether you agree or disagree) and their duty to ensure the safety of employees, contractors and visitors (including supporters). By continuing to do it the club have to anticipate it will continue which means higher costs on match day in terms of numbers of stewards and police and potential fines, all of which ends up passed back to us in higher ticket prices.

But hey ho, go ahead, have your fun.

Mate, are you joking? Higher ticket prices because of a pitch invasion? This is not taxation. Cost of living has gone up 10% and ticket prices have risen less. They are not going to charge the fans a penny.

The club has to be seen to do something, but as they said on the ‘all or nothing’ documentary, if people want to go on the pitch, they’ll go on the pitch.

No one has ever been hurt. Apart from the Villa goalkeeper getting brushed and breaking his arm, only to have a miraclous instant recovery.

We could just stand there in pure silence clapping and eat prawn sandwiches for some people, moaning about everything.

It’s what CITY do, we’ve always done it, we always will. It’s the ultimate compliment for the efforts the team have put in.

Don’t think it’s being miserable really. Yesterday was all about the players and their achievements, but some people couldn’t help make it about themselves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.