PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

You're in the Upshot (like Popbitch, but for sport) as well.

As the Premier League threatens to strip Man City of their titles for dodgy financial dealings, there are a few old rivals hoping to claim their discarded crowns.

But while Steven Gerrard books the open top bus and Ole Gunnar Solksjaer clears space in his 1999 memorabilia basement, spare a thought for the poor bastard who exposed Man City in the first place.

Whistleblower Rui Pinto revealed City were cooking the books on his Football Leaks site, a selfless deed which earned him the handsome reward of 237 criminal charges and a life in the witness protection programme.

On the plus side, he was named joint winner of the 2019 European Whistleblower Award.

Sure, he's had to undergo 13 sittings for facial reconstruction surgery, and he's now confined to a paranoid existence under an assumed identity in a non-descript bedsit on the outskirts of Nogueira da Regedoura.

But at least he can draw comfort from the Golden Whistle he keeps in a shoebox buried at the end of the garden.

They'll never take that from him!

Anyone know who City's cyber security provider was post takeover? If they had done a better job then no hacked emails and this shit never happens. Liverpool would also not have been able to hack our scouting database.

It would not surprise me to learn that Swales had awarded a 30 year IT contract to his nerdy nephew who had a ZX Spectrum in 1982.
Ha Ha - I still have my nerdy spectrum in the loft somewhere(and a ZX80 & a ZX81) - I was hoping that one day it would be worth something, but i'm guessing that as millions were sold many do also.
For the Gen Z on here you will have to google Clive Sinclair (No relation to scott)

The image rights and Mancini's contract all came out of the same hack I think.
Yes, I think you're right. I should probably have phrased it as this being a re-run of CAS with a bit extra about Mancini/AJ and image rights. None of us really know.

Hudds fan in peace.

Now the dust has settled a little bit I just wanted to pop on and say that not everyone is against you. I have been non-stop fighting your corner to all and sundry since the news broke as, at least as far as I'm concerned, this is nothing but a shady attempt at a monumental stitch up, and it's pretty clear who the accusers are, even if it is being disguised under the Premier League banner...all the other bits of news that have broken since do nothing but underline that belief. At least it helped them get that little rat Greenwood out of the headlines for a bit...

Beggars belief to me that a club with a £500million deficit on the bottom line of their bank statement can throw shade at a club with zero debt whatsoever. Stinks in all honesty.

I would normally end something like this by wishing you luck, but you'll fight this and you'll win this. You'll never lose the particular tags in the eyes of certain people, but fuck 'em. I'll come back when all this is done and drink a pint of their salty tears with you all. Get into them City.
If you ever visit North Manchester..the pints are on me sir. Nice one

Anyone know who City's cyber security provider was post takeover? If they had done a better job then no hacked emails and this shit never happens. Liverpool would also not have been able to hack our scouting database.

It would not surprise me to learn that Swales had awarded a 30 year IT contract to his nerdy nephew who had a ZX Spectrum in 1982.
Once again for the hard of hearing...

The Liverpool 'hack' was no such thing. Pinto (and most probably many others) hacked pretty much everybody including the people investigating him. As said previously, if someone with the skill or resources wants to, they will hack you.

Whilst £750k per year is of course immaterial in the grand scheme of things, I would imagine it’s above the audit threshold and thus could be used by the PL as ‘proof’ of fraudulent financials for the years in question.
Surely, if Al Jazira actually paid that money in pursuant of a contract with Mancini, we would not be guilty of fraudulent accounting by not including it in our accounts unless there was collusion between us and Al Jazira. We might be accused of an ffp breach, not a criminal matter.

What would the fraud be?

Edit: And as far as I can make out, nowhere do the charges or the breaches refer to fraud. They refer to breaching a requirement to present annual accounts that comply with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements. PL rules are a regulatory requirement, so if the PL has an unresolved accounting issue with anything, that is a breach. Not sure about this whole fraud / misleading auditors things at all.
Fraud is a slip of the tongue perhaps on my side - if it’s a true scenario where we didn’t report a £750k ‘second salary’ for Mancini to BDO, then 100% if asked BDO would fall back upon the requirement for the club to provide input on known material (by audit threshold) items…

And honestly, as the amount is so completely inconsequential, IF - and we don’t actually know it was ‘hidden’ in City’s statutory accounts numbers - it would be so phenomenally dumb from City’s executives that they would deserve a public GoT style flogging.

And I don’t believe the executive team are that dumb.

*edit* I am only discussing a scenario whereby Mancini had a contract with a City UK entity, paid via Al-Jazeera.

If he had a contract direct with Al-Jazeera, paid by them in full then at worst case it’s a minor item not included in an FFP submission.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.