PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

I take the view, as a general principle, that it is for the majority to strive to reach the standards of the best, not to drag down the best to their level. If Man City are dominating the league, the other clubs should be bringing themselves up to your level, not dragging you down.
Indeed. Competition balancing is not about degrading the overall product (which is the entertainment value of the games).

Unfortunately, the league brass is aware bringing up the other clubs will take time, money, and good management, which few have patience (or, in the case of United, Liverpool, or Spurs, capacity) for, so they’re choosing to try to reduce our ability to “balance” the league.

Indeed. Competition balancing is not about degrading the overall product (which is the entertainment value of the games).

Unfortunately, the league brass is aware bringing up the other clubs will take time, money, and good management, which few have patience (or, in the case of United, Liverpool, or Spurs, capacity) for, so they’re choosing to try to reduce our ability to “balance” the league.

Personally I prefer a league in which there are one or two who are dominant, as it's more interesting. Man City are now the 'pantomime villain', if you will (in a constructive sort of way), and as the underdogs we could cast ourselves as plucky heroes in the drama of that match yesterday, and what made it exciting was the possibility - and it was a real possibility - that we, the heroic underdogs, might cause an upset. That excitement would be gone if teams were more balanced or equal. I would argue that dominance by an elite is an ingredient to competition and a competitive drive in all, as long as the dominance does not become hegemonic.

None of that is to say a more equitable league would be uncompetitive, but I do think it would be boring.

Every era should have its 'pantomime villain' and 'exciting team' that the boys talk about in the playground and even pretend to support before they grow up and start following their local side. It fuels dreams and gives us people to admire.

Due to Man City's investment in your community, I as a Leeds supporter could attend your wonderful stadium and enjoy myself watching some of the best players in the world, and I had that hope in the dying minutes that we might just take a point, even snatch victory. I enjoyed it. I know the best team won, but I also know we tried. It's what the game is about.

Last edited:
I take the view, as a general principle, that it is for the majority to strive to reach the standards of the best, not to drag down the best to their level. If Man City are dominating the league, the other clubs should be bringing themselves up to your level, not dragging you down.
Indeed, we've consistently raised the bar required to become a Premier League winner.

That can only be a good thing as we force the teams below us to continually strive to reach our standards as you say, improving the overall product of the Premier League which brings benefits to the entire English game.

Personally I prefer a league in which there are one or two who are dominant, as it's more interesting. Man City are now the 'pantomime villain', if you will (in a constructive sort of way), and as the underdogs we could cast ourselves as plucky heroes in the drama of that match yesterday, and what made it exciting was the possibility - and it was a real possibility - that we, the heroic underdogs, might cause an upset. That excitement would be gone if teams were more balanced or equal. I would argue that dominance by an elite is an ingredient to competition and a competitive drive in all, as long as the dominance does not become hegemonic.

None of that is to say a more equitable league would be uncompetitive, but I do think it would be boring.

Every era should have its 'pantomime villain' and 'exciting team' that the boys talk about in the playground and even pretend to support before they grow up and start following their local side. It fuels dreams and gives us people to admire.

Due to Man City's investment in your community, I as a Leeds supporter could attend your wonderful stadium and enjoy myself watching some of the best players in the world, and I had that hope in the dying minutes that we might just take a point, even snatch victory. I enjoyed it. I know the best team won, but I also know we tried. It's what the game is about.
Decent post mate.

Hopefully a few words were spoken in the right ears about the utter scum who've spent years throwing mud and baseless accusations to besmirch our name.
I don’t think the good Sheik is that bothered. He is an investor with minimal emotional connection to the club. He wants capital returns, not kudos.
This is good for us— bring in a top guy like Khaldoon to oversee it and let him get on with it.

I don’t think the good Sheik is that bothered. He is an investor with minimal emotional connection to the club. He wants capital returns, not kudos.
This is good for us— bring in a top guy like Khaldoon to oversee it and let him get on with it.
Not bothered ?
1683569231681.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.