PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Will be interesting to see what happens if Everton fail FFP , will the three relegated clubs go legal on Everton & the Premier league ? Wouldnt be suprised if Masters brushes this under the carpet to prevent any legal wrangles , which will leave him in a sticky situation with our charges.
We know Richard Masters is just a puppet for the Rags & Dippers , he jumps to their tune and the only reason these charges were undertaken is to placate the red 'istree clubs , a pathetic attempt at yesterday's powerhouse football clubs to stay relevant . F*ck 'em.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Everton fail FFP , will the three relegated clubs go legal on Everton & the Premier league ? Wouldnt be suprised if Masters brushes this under the carpet to prevent any legal wrangles , which will leave him in a sticky situation with our charges.
We know Richard Masters is just a puppet for the Rags & Dippers , he jumps to their tune and the only reason these charges were undertaken is to placate the red 'istree clubs , a pathetic attempt at yesterday's powerhouse football clubs to stay relevant . F*ck 'em.
Never mention Fight Club.

The clubs sign up to a treaty, the PL contract that is a memorandum of understanding. The PL hold all the rules and if clubs don’t want to follow, they don’t have to take the spoils and will soon be back in the Championship.

The PL, who have been controlled by the few, understand that times have changed and it is they that hold all the power. Bringing their broadcast indoors will suit them but nit sure how that will fare for sporting integrity.

Very interesting post. I have a number of questions but two in particular I've wondered about and you are more qualified to answer. When Platini introduced ffp he announced they were fully compliant with European law, did this mean EU law and if so could teams playing in European countries not members of the EU in theory have challenged in their own courts the legalities of this? Also if this is the case after Brexit is there any recourse to challenge against say freedom of free trade as an example.

Intended to come back and answer this at the weekend, but was busy with family stuff on Sunday, while Monday was a working day for me (and proved quite a tough one).

Yes, he meant EU law and specifically competition law. EU competition law states that a restriction on competition can be treated as allowable if it can be shown to give rise to benefits to consumers which outweigh any restrictions of competition.

IIRC, he managed to secure an agreement from the relevant directorate of the European Commission that the rules did give rise to such benefits and, as I recall, there was also a statement that sport in general should be treated as a special case as compared with other economic sectors. This is something sporting bodies often argue, but with wildly varying degrees of merit IMO.

But the thing is that the Commission is an enforcement body. While statements to the above effect were no doubt useful for Platini, the ultimate decision as to what does and doesn't breach EU law lies with the Court of Justice, so the Commission's consent was no guarantee UEFA would prevail if the matter were litigated. There were some challenges working their way through the system, but to be honest I didn't follow what happened to them.

In terms of someone litigating in an individual country whose FA is a member of UEFA to have UEFA regulations declared unlawful in that state, I think that would be of limited value. They'd simply exclude the litigant in question, or all clubs from that country if the FA were supporting the challenge.

It's hard to see UEFA seeing too much of a problem in a legal challenge in most non-EU states, whereas obviously the heft of the EU would give them serious problems of its courts made an adverse ruling. IMO, they'd think they could ride out an adverse ruling even in post-Brexit Britain, where currently the most lucrative domestic league is played,

Thought he'd retired. Maybe he just retired from his job at the MEN.

It's not that uncommon for people who've retired to then take bits of freelance work to supplement their income when they work in industries where that's common practice. I'm rather hoping to be able to do similar myself in a few years' time.

Intended to come back and answer this at the weekend, but was busy with family stuff on Sunday, while Monday was a working day for me (and proved quite a tough one).

Yes, he meant EU law and specifically competition law. EU competition law states that a restriction on competition can be treated as allowable if it can be shown to give rise to benefits to consumers which outweigh any restrictions of competition.

IIRC, he managed to secure an agreement from the relevant directorate of the European Commission that the rules did give rise to such benefits and, as I recall, there was also a statement that sport in general should be treated as a special case as compared with other economic sectors. This is something sporting bodies often argue, but with wildly varying degrees of merit IMO.

But the thing is that the Commission is an enforcement body. While statements to the above effect were no doubt useful for Platini, the ultimate decision as to what does and doesn't breach EU law lies with the Court of Justice, so the Commission's consent was no guarantee UEFA would prevail if the matter were litigated. There were some challenges working their way through the system, but to be honest I didn't follow what happened to them.

In terms of someone litigating in an individual country whose FA is a member of UEFA to have UEFA regulations declared unlawful in that state, I think that would be of limited value. They'd simply exclude the litigant in question, or all clubs from that country if the FA were supporting the challenge.

It's hard to see UEFA seeing too much of a problem in a legal challenge in most non-EU states, whereas obviously the heft of the EU would give them serious problems of its courts made an adverse ruling. IMO, they'd think they could ride out an adverse ruling even in post-Brexit Britain, where currently the most lucrative domestic league is played,
This from memory.
The case in Belgium, originally brought by a consortium of supporters organisations resulted in a win, the court deciding ffp was anti-competitive. The Commission said it would have to be litigated in a higher court for them to act on it. It went to a higher court (I forget which) (EDIT Belgian Court of Appeal) who sent it back to the original Belgian court who said they could not rule. Stalemate.
PS EDIT:The ECJ stated that our case had no merit and UEFA claimed victory.
Google DuPont Belgian case on ffp. Several articles.

Last edited:
They defend it until their club has the means to invest, then they realise what a sham it is. City were lucky and managed to grow before the rules stopped other sides doing what Mansour did. City then looked at the ffp rule book and then used it to maximum advantage. That’s why United and Liverpool are struggling whilst City are a well tuned machine.

The losses that United are making whilst the interest rates creep up are hilarious irony. The lobbied rules to stop investment but now their money stream from the bank is starting the cripple them they can’t spend what they’d like to keep up. They probably need another 5 players this season but won’t be able to spend what they want.
This is one of the most beautiful side effects of FFP. Many of those whom it was designed to protect - the Milan clubs for starters - have either fallen foul of it or found themselves restricted by it. Even better that City could actually be held up as a FFP success story!

Even better that City could actually be held up as a FFP success story!
It's so funny isn't it. It's relegated the Cinderella story of Leicester, kept clubs that might have similarly benefitted from cash injections at bay (Everton, Newcastle, Villa), fucked some of the European "I Love the 1990s" clubs, and forced us to diversify and invest in the EDS and CFG and campus.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.