PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Spot on Gordy. Back in 2015, I got the chance to attend a Q&A with David Gill at my old school, which was celebrating its 500th anniversary. I got to ask the final question, which was what were the united hierarchy's thoughts when the takeover happened. His answer was that they took great interest in what was happening at the Etihad but felt secure in the fact that they were united and their position couldn't be challenged. He was very complimentary about the way we were run but then he came out with the now famous remark that "I'm no being arrogant but they'll never be bigger than us in Asia".

I couldn't believe my luck that my question elicited that answer, which was reported all round the world. Whether we're ever bigger than them in Asia or not, hardly matters now. We are the more successful team and have bigger revenues.

I wonder what his answer would be now, if I asked the same question?
He`d probably retort "fuck off and mind yer own business". ;)

Post takeover the biggest advantage we had is they never believed that ADUG were serious resulting in complacency, they had guaranteed UCL income the cosy cartel didn’t have to try hard to make more money than the others. City swept past them on the blindside building a business with initial owner investment, appointment of first class executives who built an organisation second to none in football one that is built on a vision of sustainability and self financing. Connections in business are vital, powerful companies want to be connected with the sovereign wealth funds, they will see City has a way to stay close, for example SAP want the UAE business, sponsorship of City keeps them cosy. What is strange is that the others still don’t get that City are a different class. Rival fans refer to shirt sales they don’t understand the nature of the kit suppliers contracts. The new generation of fans don’t give damn who won the PL in the eighties/ nineties, those decades are as relevant today as the 20s and 30s, some weren’t even born now they see City with Haaland, Grealish and Foden as the ones to follow The videos on social media of the players celebrating, Jack and the others had fun and people love it, they have personality it’s no accident that the team have a strong bond. By all metrics City are becoming the biggest club in football and KAM has no desire to let us rest on our laurels. Long may it last that the likes of chuckle think it’s not possible for City to out-income the rags he really should know better as a businessman and club owner. The only weapon they seem to have is to sling mud at us with trumped up charges that won’t make a difference See the video of the UAE contingent arriving at the final not just Mansour as UAE Vice President but also the President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan they we’re met by Turkish President Erdogan wearing a City scarf. So not just business connections but also political Mansour attended Charlie’s coronation as UAE representative trade talks took place at the time
The others didn’t know who they were dealing with when the takeover happened and it seems nothing has changed and long may it last

Edit We are in safe hands if the celebrations of the young sheikhs are anything to go by

It was conscious bias based on racism, they just assumed more money than sense, no idea & they’ll milk them for cash before getting bored. If they’d have been running like a real business & seeing a competitor entering the market, SWOT analysis would have shown what was happening. Even the oracle Harry Redknapp said stop moaning, learn & copy.

Post takeover the biggest advantage we had is they never believed that ADUG were serious resulting in complacency, they had guaranteed UCL income the cosy cartel didn’t have to try hard to make more money than the others. City swept past them on the blindside building a business with initial owner investment, appointment of first class executives who built an organisation second to none in football one that is built on a vision of sustainability and self financing. Connections in business are vital, powerful companies want to be connected with the sovereign wealth funds, they will see City has a way to stay close, for example SAP want the UAE business, sponsorship of City keeps them cosy. What is strange is that the others still don’t get that City are a different class. Rival fans refer to shirt sales they don’t understand the nature of the kit suppliers contracts. The new generation of fans don’t give damn who won the PL in the eighties/ nineties, those decades are as relevant today as the 20s and 30s, some weren’t even born now they see City with Haaland, Grealish and Foden as the ones to follow The videos on social media of the players celebrating, Jack and the others had fun and people love it, they have personality it’s no accident that the team have a strong bond. By all metrics City are becoming the biggest club in football and KAM has no desire to let us rest on our laurels. Long may it last that the likes of chuckle think it’s not possible for City to out-income the rags he really should know better as a businessman and club owner. The only weapon they seem to have is to sling mud at us with trumped up charges that won’t make a difference See the video of the UAE contingent arriving at the final not just Mansour as UAE Vice President but also the President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan they we’re met by Turkish President Erdogan wearing a City scarf. So not just business connections but also political Mansour attended Charlie’s coronation as UAE representative trade talks took place at the time
The others didn’t know who they were dealing with when the takeover happened and it seems nothing has changed and long may it last

Edit We are in safe hands if the celebrations of the young sheikhs are anything to go by
Never even considered the last paragraph, we aren’t leaving the party for a long long time. Hopefully the haters saw the same as you and felt another nail being hammered into their coffin.

Global fan base is a big red herring. How does the fake shirt bought in a market in Lagos contribute to Arsenal or United's revenue? Sponsors aren't just selling to fans of the team they sponsor but to every set of eyeballs watching the game and they will want to be associated with the successful teams because that makes them look good. City are the most successful team in the most successful league and this is the main driver of revenue not a guy earning less than a dollar a day in Rwanda.
I think there is a slight benefit of having snide gear sold for clubs, it is slight but it's also part of exposure for them and sponsors.

Let's say in a far flung country there are 1 million snide City shirts, 5 million raggy ones, 3 million dips ones and 2 million arse ones...now there's no direct value to the clubs from these shirts but people wandering round as mobile advert billboards would be of use to bump up the value of deals.

It's maybe quite minor miscellaneous but I'm sure it'll come into the thinking of both the clubs and companies.

All this going on with Chelsea, Saudi Arabia, PIF & possibly Newcastle suddenly makes an alleged 3rd party payment to Mancini seem minuscule, no?

FFP has always been a joke, but if we receive any form on punishment when this shower of shit is happening so brazenly, even the biggest City hater (with half a brain) can see the hypocrisy.
You are right but tribalism and jealousy will outweigh sense.

Great post Gordy. Says it all.
Uk and UAE now have the Sovereign Investment fund, aimed at UAE investment in UK. Mubadala is the main contributor. I hear their top man is a good bloke. The inward investment is vital to UK economy. We are some way down the list of UAE’s trading partners but it is growing. You are absolutely correct when you say top class companies want to keep close to UAE through sponsorship of City. Money talks.

Spot on Gordy. Back in 2015, I got the chance to attend a Q&A with David Gill at my old school, which was celebrating its 500th anniversary. I got to ask the final question, which was what were the united hierarchy's thoughts when the takeover happened. His answer was that they took great interest in what was happening at the Etihad but felt secure in the fact that they were united and their position couldn't be challenged. He was very complimentary about the way we were run but then he came out with the now famous remark that "I'm no being arrogant but they'll never be bigger than us in Asia".

I couldn't believe my luck that my question elicited that answer, which was reported all round the world. Whether we're ever bigger than them in Asia or not, hardly matters now. We are the more successful team and have bigger revenues.

China is UAE’s biggest trading partner and India is high up on the list. David Gill could be proved wrong yet.

Was there any muffled laughter in the room at the time after that remark or was the audience mostly made up of non football people?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.