PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

There is a lot of talk about relegated clubs pursuing Everton for compensation, as i understand it sporting bodies are allowed draw up rules (within reason) that would not normally apply to any other section of society "no jeans at the golf club etc" ..surely then if these clubs went full legal, then the various FFP type legislation would be up for scrutiny as well. i don't know of any other business and football is a business now, when you are registered on the N/Y stock exchange and take tens of millions out in dividends and stuff it in the tax dodging Cayman Islands then you are a business. Then surely Everton should have full recourse to the legal law of the land as well. Try prosecuting or sanctioning an owner of a business for investing his own money in his own enterprise.

Finally, finally....an in-depth look at what Everton's defence was and how ridiculous it became. It's an article on the Telegraph site, won't link as you need a subscription, and it shows that Everton had lots of assistance from the PL for a long period to ensure that they didn't fail. They ignored it. They then came up with increasingly bizarre explanations after admitting they had.

One of the most outlandish ones, it actually defies credulity, is that they should be allowed 10 mill off because they didn't sue a player who had been investigated for child sex offences. Although never charged or named he is no longer at the club but their case was that if they sued him it would affect his mental health. The panel decided they would never have received that money under any circumstances.
Rooney!

Finally, finally....an in-depth look at what Everton's defence was and how ridiculous it became. It's an article on the Telegraph site, won't link as you need a subscription, and it shows that Everton had lots of assistance from the PL for a long period to ensure that they didn't fail. They ignored it. They then came up with increasingly bizarre explanations after admitting they had.

One of the most outlandish ones, it actually defies credulity, is that they should be allowed 10 mill off because they didn't sue a player who had been investigated for child sex offences. Although never charged or named he is no longer at the club but their case was that if they sued him it would affect his mental health. The panel decided they would never have received that money under any circumstances.
Wonder if they included us for calling a game off, cost them millions!!!!!

Its funny how Stefan is now a quoted expert on the 115, yet if I remember rightly he said City would get off at CAS and no one, nick harris included, quoted him then. Indeed the ping pong cheat from the Times said all City supporters were rats before the hearing. Unfortunately Stefans views on this fit with the medias hopes and so they have jumped on them. As in all memories I could be wrong, again;-)
I was thinking exactly the same thing about him suddenly being quoted. Reading Stefan's posts/tweets/explanations along with PB's posts/explanations on the CAS stuff was a real eye-opener.....they both tried to stick to talking about the facts of the case and managed to keep the emotion out of it.

As you say BlueM it's funny they didn't give Stefan the time of day on CAS, but now they've suddenly cherry-picked a (unfavourable) narrative from him without adding the context - and he's being quoted everywhere on it.

To paraphrase what I've read from Stefan over the previous months (and apologies if I have any of this wrong) he's always said that these are serious charges and if proven could lead to serious sanctions, maybe including relegation. And those are the key words he's always used....if proven. But....he's always said the bar on proving these charges will be set high. And he's always said that it would take an almighty conspiracy involving the club, auditors and owners to arrive at the situation of the PL charges.....and he's always said a conspiracy on this scale is highly unlikely given the people and companies involved. But those parts, which offer the context, don't fit the media narrative. So those parts don't get reported. And that sums up our media sadly.

Keep posting Stefan (and PB) as they certainly help me to understand the bigger picture.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.