PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

I can't take any credit for this...expect for reading it, but some legend of a Blue had this email published on the Football 365 website today, quoted in full below.....it's great stuff..

"Man City DID fail to cooperate with the UEFA enquiry and were fined for it, that’ absolutely true. The context though that everybody conveniently ignores, is that City were perfectly cooperating with the CFCB investigation right up until that body leaked sensitive business information of Man City’s to the press, and then they stopped because UEFA couldn’t be trusted not to leak files to their mates that were supposed to be confidential (and indeed were of great interest to rival clubs chasing sponsorships). This was even commented upon by CAS so feel free to use this point next time you’re all pretending that you read the judgement.

In regard to the PL case, City deny the failure to cooperate charge and it’s fair to say that according to the journalists covering them, they were pretty shocked this came up. They even commented on this in their initial statement.

It’s funny how [people] rant on and on about how corrupt UEFA, the Big Four, the ECA, the PL and the rest are but when it comes to Man City apparently they’re all paragons of virtue and it’s not a stitch-up despite the 115 charges being conveniently released the day before the Independent Football Regulator vote, despite the fact that the press release was so rushed that they had to go back and edit it because they quoted the wrong regulations (which for a legal statement tells you a lot), despite the fact that UEFA attempted to break its own rules to charge City and were caught by CAS, despite the fact that City only failed FFP the first time around because UEFA DID change their rules 2 years into a 3 year Monitoring Period to disallow some exemptions, despite the fact that of the 5 actual allegations by the PL 2 of them are instantly dismissable and the other 3 have already being investigated and cleared by numerous courts.

People coping on the Etisalat deal don’t understand firstly how small that deal is and secondly how it will be clear like everything else was.

Do you know why City have 115 charges against them? Because they’re fishing. The PL spent 6 years investigating City’s accounts (with cooperation of City by the way) and came up with a bunch of easily dismissable stuff (“paying people off the books”, etc), a bunch of stuff other people have already investigated and which they have no new evidence of (sponsorship deals) and a vague charge which doesn’t really mean anything concrete and is subjectively judged (failing to cooperate).

If the PL ACTUALLY believed that they had the evidence to go against City then they’d have a small and watertight case, instead they’ve gone as wide as possible. There were 28,000 documents submitted in the Everton case as evidence relating to a single charge. How many do you believe the PL will get for 115 charges? How much manpower do you think it would take to go through and cross reference it all?

This is all irrelevant any way to be honest, because not a single one of you actually cares about this case in the terms of its legal merits. You’ve already judged City guilty so if YET AGAIN there are no financial irregularities found then it doesn’t matter to you, because despite having no legal, accounting, marketing or football business experience then you all know better than every court in the land. Stop pretending you’re on some moral crusade for truth and start acknowledging that you just want City to fail for other reasons and you’re hoping through ignorance that the financial irregularities that still remain completely unproven is the thing that will topple them because your clubs have no ability to compete on the pitch due to terrible mismanagement. Oh and the guys who were “there’s no smoke without fire”/”just because it’s not proven doesn’t mean it’s not true” the other day, please please please disqualify yourself from jury service because you’re a danger to society.

I’m sure this will result in some face saving deal for the PL who will hand down some massive and hilarious sentence docking 5 billion points and stripping every title ever won ever which they know will be completely unenforceable and will be overturned about sixteen seconds into the appeals process. But they get their big PR win for a few months, City get dragged through the press as per usual and the fact that it all gets dismissed on appeal won’t matter a jot to people because everybody wins in that scenario apart from those of us who would prefer Governing bodies not to purposely attempt to stitch up people because they happen to be taking revenue away from clubs they’d prefer it to go to.
And no, you still don’t understand how the time barring thing worked."

GOOD MAN, WELL SAID!

I am loving every single second of this. Every time I see a social media post about Everton, our club is talked about more than them. Opposition fans just drooling at the thought we get relegated.

You get the odd fan who clearly knows their onions, but in the main we are doomed and will have our titles stripped!

When our lawyers destroy these charges and we go on and win everything all over again, that is when life gets even more sweet than it is. It is fucking brilliant.

From what little is known publicly about the case, and findings from the CAS verdict, it is entirely possible that City could be found guilty of not co-operating with another investigation. However, Ioannidis (leading sports lawyer and professor at Sheffield Hallam University) and Plumley (sports finance expert and also at Sheffield Hallam University) contend that the Premier League must instead prove its most damning allegations - held to a higher standard than a normal civil case because of their seriousness - to satisfy the judging panel.

"It would not be good enough for the Premier League to argue that Manchester City failed to co-operate with the Premier League’s investigation," they write. "The Premier League would have to go beyond this, by proving that Manchester City, as a matter of fact and evidence, failed to produce accurate financial information (and/or lied about it) in relation to their revenue, within the meaning of the current regulations.

"This is not an easy burden for the Premier League. But it should not be easy, because the allegations produced are of a very serious nature.

Wasn't that an old analysis from months ago, or have they issued something else?

I spent a chunk of my weekend arguing with someone who claimed to be trained in law that the CAS judgement was actually quite clear that City had broken multiple FFP rules if you just knew how to read between the lines. A little bit of education is a dangerous thing.
Trained in law - read between the linesIMG_9935.jpeg
Was this the guy?

And in case it hasn't been noticed, the Non Cooperation is the only one not inherently linked to the others. In the sense that if you prove innocence of one, you are almost by default then not guilty of another 2 or 3 of them. Whereas that one is a but in isolation, you could be innocent of all of them, but be deemed to not have cooperated.
Essentially as CAS found.

@Prestwich_Blue really helped unravel this mess with his superb summary in that podcast.

To be honest, when fans see a generic list of PL rules consisting of acronyms like "Rule A 4.6.7" & it's not specific to what City are being accused of, it's a massive switch off, hence why so few understand what's happening outside of clickbait headlines.

Colin brilliantly broke it down which enabled me to finally fully understand our situation, enabling me to research it further.

My head fuckin hurts with all the reading & studying over the last 24 hours, but as they say "To be fore-warned is to be fore-armed".

Cutting to the chase, I believe if our fate is left up to the PL's Appeal Panel, we're seriously fucked!

HOWEVER, once IREF is created to oversee UK football, I honestly believe these charges will be dismissed.

It will essentially be UK Law vs the PL's private members club Rules. UK Law wins every time & football will finally be run in line with all other UK business sectors, & not for the benefit of ManUre, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spuds & poor old Everton, who are one of the five founding members of the PL, who've now been defenestrated by the other four founding member's attempts to finally stop the march of Manchester City.

It's like a fuckin episode of Stop The Pigeon, with us being the bird!

6027722f65e718d68589fb012f47d360.jpg

They apply to the PL for a licence. I assume the PL grants the licence for their clubs to play in UEFA competitions.

716dce86422c49696e09d9d18af79490.jpg
Yes, that's my understanding too, hence why a breach of UEFA FFP Rules automatically become a breach of Premier League FFP rules, which is why City are being tried twice for the same bullshit charges. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Thanks - perhaps that should have been obvious - but I am still a little confused

I thought that they had been charged - they admitted guilt - the case was then referred to the panel (as ours is currently being) and that the PL wanted a 12 point penalty and the panel have given a 10 point penalty

So I thought that they were at 'the next stage' and therefore there should be no further appeal

In my defence - I have been away golfing so only been reading snippets

You are right. Everton were charged, the "independent" panel found for the PL and a sanction was levied. Everton have appealed, so there will be a new "independent" appeals panel. City can follow the same appeals procedure if the panel finds for the PL in our case.

After the appeals panel, there is a final right of appeal, on certain limited matters, to an actual tribunal, more like CAS.

I can't take any credit for this...expect for reading it, but some legend of a Blue had this email published on the Football 365 website today, quoted in full below.....it's great stuff..

"Man City DID fail to cooperate with the UEFA enquiry and were fined for it, that’ absolutely true. The context though that everybody conveniently ignores, is that City were perfectly cooperating with the CFCB investigation right up until that body leaked sensitive business information of Man City’s to the press, and then they stopped because UEFA couldn’t be trusted not to leak files to their mates that were supposed to be confidential (and indeed were of great interest to rival clubs chasing sponsorships). This was even commented upon by CAS so feel free to use this point next time you’re all pretending that you read the judgement.

In regard to the PL case, City deny the failure to cooperate charge and it’s fair to say that according to the journalists covering them, they were pretty shocked this came up. They even commented on this in their initial statement.

It’s funny how [people] rant on and on about how corrupt UEFA, the Big Four, the ECA, the PL and the rest are but when it comes to Man City apparently they’re all paragons of virtue and it’s not a stitch-up despite the 115 charges being conveniently released the day before the Independent Football Regulator vote, despite the fact that the press release was so rushed that they had to go back and edit it because they quoted the wrong regulations (which for a legal statement tells you a lot), despite the fact that UEFA attempted to break its own rules to charge City and were caught by CAS, despite the fact that City only failed FFP the first time around because UEFA DID change their rules 2 years into a 3 year Monitoring Period to disallow some exemptions, despite the fact that of the 5 actual allegations by the PL 2 of them are instantly dismissable and the other 3 have already being investigated and cleared by numerous courts.

People coping on the Etisalat deal don’t understand firstly how small that deal is and secondly how it will be clear like everything else was.

Do you know why City have 115 charges against them? Because they’re fishing. The PL spent 6 years investigating City’s accounts (with cooperation of City by the way) and came up with a bunch of easily dismissable stuff (“paying people off the books”, etc), a bunch of stuff other people have already investigated and which they have no new evidence of (sponsorship deals) and a vague charge which doesn’t really mean anything concrete and is subjectively judged (failing to cooperate).

If the PL ACTUALLY believed that they had the evidence to go against City then they’d have a small and watertight case, instead they’ve gone as wide as possible. There were 28,000 documents submitted in the Everton case as evidence relating to a single charge. How many do you believe the PL will get for 115 charges? How much manpower do you think it would take to go through and cross reference it all?

This is all irrelevant any way to be honest, because not a single one of you actually cares about this case in the terms of its legal merits. You’ve already judged City guilty so if YET AGAIN there are no financial irregularities found then it doesn’t matter to you, because despite having no legal, accounting, marketing or football business experience then you all know better than every court in the land. Stop pretending you’re on some moral crusade for truth and start acknowledging that you just want City to fail for other reasons and you’re hoping through ignorance that the financial irregularities that still remain completely unproven is the thing that will topple them because your clubs have no ability to compete on the pitch due to terrible mismanagement. Oh and the guys who were “there’s no smoke without fire”/”just because it’s not proven doesn’t mean it’s not true” the other day, please please please disqualify yourself from jury service because you’re a danger to society.

I’m sure this will result in some face saving deal for the PL who will hand down some massive and hilarious sentence docking 5 billion points and stripping every title ever won ever which they know will be completely unenforceable and will be overturned about sixteen seconds into the appeals process. But they get their big PR win for a few months, City get dragged through the press as per usual and the fact that it all gets dismissed on appeal won’t matter a jot to people because everybody wins in that scenario apart from those of us who would prefer Governing bodies not to purposely attempt to stitch up people because they happen to be taking revenue away from clubs they’d prefer it to go to.
And no, you still don’t understand how the time barring thing worked."

GOOD MAN, WELL SAID!

Paul in Manchester take a bow

Anyone seen Rodney Marsh’s tweet?

“I believe City have, allegedly, prepared a monster counter defamation law suit in fact and in law”

KFA or ITK?

No idea if this is true but I hope it is.

I would be looking to nail everyone that has besmirched City’s good name including the clowns posting on social media from their Mum’s bedroom.

This could be the biggest defamation case in history!

Last edited:
Yes, that's my understanding too, hence why a breach of UEFA FFP Rules automatically become a breach of Premier League FFP rules, which is why City are being tried twice for the same bullshit charges. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

And United breaching UEFA FFP? The PL seem to think any breach in the PL should be a 6 point deduction. Not so fussed about UEFA breaches then?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.