PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

If I recall correctly, they fell into the five categories below, but Colin explained how each one related to City specifically in a way that was very easy to understand & relate to.

Another was to do with related companies. There's a ruling that clubs have to show three proposals to prove the sponsorship secured fair market value, but @Prestwich_Blue should be able to confirm it.

The rest were all about not being fair & showing respect to other PL clubs etc...

1. Acting in Good Faith
(50 Breaches)

2. Player & Manager Remuneration
(24 Breaches)

3. UEFA FFP Regulations
(5 Breaches)

4. Profitability & Sustainability
(6 Breaches)

5. Non Cooperation
(30 Breaches)

https://www.sportlawmusings.com/post/the-man-city-charges-why-what-when-what-could-happen

And in case it hasn't been noticed, the Non Cooperation is the only one not inherently linked to the others. In the sense that if you prove innocence of one, you are almost by default then not guilty of another 2 or 3 of them. Whereas that one is a bit in isolation, you could be innocent of all of them, but be deemed to not have cooperated.

Last edited:
They’ve appealed the PL decision in the same way we have so we are both at the same stage. There are no appeals after that under normal circumstances.
Not sure I agree here. Everton were charged, supposedly after a three year too and fro and a punishment issued, presumably by the three person panel appointed by the Prem.
They have appealed the punishment and by default the charges.
We have been charged but there is no outcome. We have nothing to appeal against until the initial outcome is decided. This trigger is the decision from the 3 person committee.

So I believe Everton are at stage 2 and we are not yet at the end of stage 1 - maybe not even very close to the starting gate!

Additionally I thought I understood that we had chucked a grenade and brought some sort of legal proceedings against some elements of the charges and the process - possibly the time barred elements, the punishment for historic offences already heard by CAS and maybe the constitution of the 3 person committee and the impartiality of the Chair.

If correct then this will have to be dealt with before the Prem committee can properly look at our case.

Aside from the sheer volume and weight of evidence to consider this is maybe why our case might take years. Any decision on the issues caused by our grenade can presumably be appealed through the legal system outside the Prem closed shop.

All this is second guessing from stuff I’ve read and surmised. I might be miles off and if so sorry for the distraction.

Not sure I agree here. Everton were charged, supposedly after a three year too and fro and a punishment issued, presumably by the three person panel appointed by the Prem.
They have appealed the punishment and by default the charges.
We have been charged but there is no outcome. We have nothing to appeal against until the initial outcome is decided. This trigger is the decision from the 3 person committee.

So I believe Everton are at stage 2 and we are not yet at the end of stage 1 - maybe not even very close to the starting gate!

Additionally I thought I understood that we had chucked a grenade and brought some sort of legal proceedings against some elements of the charges and the process - possibly the time barred elements, the punishment for historic offences already heard by CAS and maybe the constitution of the 3 person committee and the impartiality of the Chair.

If correct then this will have to be dealt with before the Prem committee can properly look at our case.

Aside from the sheer volume and weight of evidence to consider this is maybe why our case might take years. Any decision on the issues caused by our grenade can presumably be appealed through the legal system outside the Prem closed shop.

All this is second guessing from stuff I’ve read and surmised. I might be miles off and if so sorry for the distraction.
Exactly this. I have asked numerous times on this forum ref where our legal challenge is at but we don’t seem to have anyone ITK. Like you I would assume the EPL appointed panel cannot commence until our legal challenges have been addressed.

They didn’t group all the eight charges for Everton though, they didn’t get charged with failure to report related party transactions correctly for example. I agree with your sentiment though in terms of us, some of the charges taken individually are bordering on ridiculous.

On the UEFA one, it’s a follow on from the other charges, they can’t not include it.
They absolutely did group Everton's charges together into a single charge. They charged Everton for failing Profit and Sustainability rules - making it out to be a single charge.

For City, they charged us for breaching every clause within the P&S section of rules - 25 separate charges in total.

The actual rules for 2021/22 (Everton's year) are listed below. If they were to treat Everton and City fairly and equally, they should have said which of E.45, E.46, E.47, E.48, E.49, E.50, E.51 and E.52 Everton were being charged with, and said they had a specific number of charges laid against them.

But no, just look at X, formerly known as Twitter, and you will quickly see that football in general believes Everton had one breach against them, while City has 115 and deserve a 1150 points deduction.

Edit. For the avoidance of doubt that Everton's charges have been aggregated to make it look like a single charge, my view is that they have at least breached E.45, E.48, E.50, E51 and E.52. In addition, the judgement against them says they breached B.15 (acting in good faith towards other clubs). So that's at least 6 charges, not one, as inferred by the original announcement.

fef108aa7bb03fb971b78fb409292e2a.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to end up as one huge shit show that could bring the PL to it's knees.

Too many people have too much to lose and with the ruling that clubs can sue each other the shit is going to hit the fan and everyone is going to get a mouthful
The PL will be in the hands of the regulator by that time. I feel that this will change much about how the PL is run.

This is going to end up as one huge shit show that could bring the PL to it's knees.

Too many people have too much to lose and with the ruling that clubs can sue each other the shit is going to hit the fan and everyone is going to get a mouthful

A creeping death thanks to the "Americanisation" of English football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.