PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

The difference being is back then the Premier League supporting cast could still dream of winning the lottery & joining the scrap for honours at the top table.

Now even the richest club in the world have found their wealth is useless, because the Cartel Clubs have introduced financial rules designed to stop anyone from being able to challenge them.

Newcastle are reportedly being forced to sell SEVEN players, Almiron, Joelinton, Wilson, Botman, Isak, Guimarães & Trippier JUST to avoid the same PSR fate as Everton, let alone to allow them to be able to reinvest in their ageing injury hit squad.

The question is, would you rather the PL as it is now with FFP/PSR, or as it was 20 years ago when ambitious clubs were allowed to dream?

UEFA were rightly concerned about clubs like Leeds, Portsmouth, Fiorentina, Parma, Rangers etc over extending themselves, with over-ambitious owners levying huge debts on their clubs, sending several to the wall as they chased the dream. This is what the original iteration of FFP was supposed to prevent, not minted owners investing their own money to compete with the elite.

I do believe there should be a level of financial controls to prevent clubs from spending themselves into extinction, but not what we have today, where only the clubs at the very top stand to benefit.

I’m sorry but I don’t believe they were concerned in the slightest about Leeds or any other clubs.

A sensible form of FFP would be:

1 - Owners can 'invest' money into their club without reprimand.
2 - Clubs who go into debt/loan money have a spend limit/strict transfer limits they must adhere to until debt is repaid in full

That would safeguard our clubs from extinction, which was the guise FFP was brought in to achieve (we all know the real purpose of FFP though).
For years before it was introduced FFP was about debt. Platini called United and Madrid cheats because of it.

And then for some reason (I can'£ imagin£ what it wa£), things changed.

I'm still not convinced we just let a spending race develop. The reality is that the huge gap to the super clubs is new, and it's at a level that is unbreachable for almost all owners. We need to stop using Newcastle as a benchmark for owners with their hands tied - their owners have vastly more disposable cash than anyone else in the World.

If you look at the list of richest people in the UK, there are probably only two that are rich enough to take on a Premier League club successfully. That can't be sustainable.

Throughout history clubs have fallen on hard times, dropped through the leagues, lost league status & no one gave a fuck. They certainly didn’t give a fuck when we did it & yet now we have fake concern hiding protectionism.
Correct on all counts.

I remember a few years back when Accrington Stanley was facing financial ruin mainly because of, among other things, a huge tax bill owed to HMRC (somewhere north of £300k, if I recall correctly)

The Accy supporters organised money collections at various Premier League club grounds, including ours. I forget who we were playing (it was a night match) and loads of Blues tipped up any change they had to help save Accrington.

As I threw in a couple of quid, I jokingly suggested to the young lad with the collection bucket that he might be more successful more quickly by standing outside the players' entrance and asking Yaya Toure to donate a week's wages to the cause. But as ever, there's often more than a grain of truth said in jest.

The disparity between the wealth of the Premier League and the rest of the English football pyramid over the past three decades has been (for me at least) distasteful.

But then again, not as distasteful as the sanctimony of the 'Big Four' (Red Tops and Levy's Spurs) and their protectionist, attempted 'justifications' for their collective actions in slamming doors of opportunity in the faces of the rest of the football 'family' they love to spout on about, the f**king hypocrites..

May they all rot in their collective Hell.

Last edited:

2 - Clubs who go into debt/loan money have a spend limit/strict transfer limits they must adhere to until debt is repaid in full

That would safeguard our clubs from extinction, which was the guise FFP was brought in to achieve (we all know the real purpose of FFP though).

Why goes there need to be rules? Let them pay someone £50m a week & do a Danny Mills then get relegated.

The difference being is back then the Premier League supporting cast could still dream of winning the lottery & joining the scrap for honours at the top table.

Now even the richest club in the world have found their wealth is useless, because the Cartel Clubs have introduced financial rules designed to stop anyone from being able to challenge them.

Newcastle are reportedly being forced to sell SEVEN players, Almiron, Joelinton, Wilson, Botman, Isak, Guimarães & Trippier JUST to avoid the same PSR fate as Everton, let alone to allow them to be able to reinvest in their ageing injury hit squad.

The question is, would you rather the PL as it is now with FFP/PSR, or as it was 20 years ago when ambitious clubs were allowed to dream?

UEFA were rightly concerned about clubs like Leeds, Portsmouth, Fiorentina, Parma, Rangers etc over extending themselves, with over-ambitious owners levying huge debts on their clubs, sending several to the wall as they chased the dream. This is what the original iteration of FFP was supposed to prevent, not minted owners investing their own money to compete with the elite.

I do believe there should be a level of financial controls to prevent clubs from spending themselves into extinction, but not what we have today, where only the clubs at the very top stand to benefit.

pretty much agree. I've long thought that a version of the spending rules should stay (to protect against administration) but maybe you should be allowed owner investment too.

so you're still not allowed excessive losses but your owner (or investors) can "gift" you money.

that way newcastle fans dreams can be realised as their owners could gift them £100m+, and by extension, the fans of every club can dream.

there's still a 25 man squad limit.

there's still the task of keeping more than around 18 players happy over game time.

maybe the penalty for failing the new rules should be more creative. so instead of the usual points/fine it could be transfer bans or inability to vote at premier league meetings. or something else completely like being forced to play in dunce's hats ;)

there should probably be a very clear process and very clear penalties though. if it's relegation then write it down so we all know. don't leave it as a range.

But it was hugely different when the owner of a few local car franchises could buy a couple of players, and push for a title. Even Jack Walker and his family only spent the equivalent of about £150-200m on Blackburn (and that's including inflation).

Now there are only a few hundred people on the whole planet who could safely take a Premier League club from mid table to the top.
Newcastle are now in the position where they have to grow 'organically'. In other words you will be kept at your level and the so called bigger clubs will be able to tap up your best players by offering them double the money that Newcastle could pay but aren't allowed to. We were so lucky to scrape past these disgusting anti competitive regulations. If nothing changes the big 6 will be set in stone.

There’s another important reason why we able to spend a billion. We cost fuck all, what was it about £200m & yet it’s never mentioned. A club with prime realestate, one of the newest stadia in the country, massive support, major City with infrastructure for pittance.

The problem is that the money involved is at multi-billionaire/state level. Our owners put in around £1.5b and in addition could influence sponsorship deals from Abu Dhabi to add a significant sum on top of that. But Liverpool, for example, have three times the revenue that had in 2008.

If a team from mid-table, even a big city one with the fans/infrastructure, wanted to compete, then they could need £4b+ invested. That's absolutely crazy - and way above even your suggestions.

Even then, Newcastle could afford whatever they want - but Everton could quite easily bankrupted themselves well before they got anywhere near the lower figures you suggested.

The only way you're going to get competition back in any meaningful way, is to reduce the revenues of the richest clubs. Either football is a sport, or it's a business, but it can't be both.
That’s not what I was suggesting. I was suggesting a net spend limit over a 3 year period.
For example Chelsea would have blown their net spend budget during the last two transfer windows which would mean they would have to offload over the next two seasons to get back to a net spend of £500m.

We would be fine as our squad is worth more than we paid and we have academy graduates offsetting any transfers in.

A number of other teams in the league would also have some spending power left but scum utd would struggle so I guess it’s a no then.

Forget I even suggested it lol

damn i just posted something similar. great minds etc.

tbf i don't have a problem with clubs going into administration. its usually their own fault. they'll usually come back and it gives everyone else a chance. IF 20 club's fans get relegated and someone like Stockport County's fans gets into the PL on the back of it, well thats all part of the tapestry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.