PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

The way it works with FFP is that you can keep the £20m cash but have to deduct the £10m from your revenue. So you can only claim £10m. That's also the case under PL rules, where a deal that's been concluded without approval is deemed to be overvalued. If you submit a proposed deal that is deemed to be overvalued then I believe the PL can force the club to renegotiate it to the lower value.

I believe the current rules we're challenging require that any APT has to be commensurate with two other proposed deals you've obtained "quotes" for from non-associated parties. That's complete nonsense. It's saying that if we want to do a new deal with Etihad, we have to get comparable quotes from BA and Delta.
Haven’t they junked the comparable quotes idea in favour of ‘independent’ appraisal?

The way it works with FFP is that you can keep the £20m cash but have to deduct the £10m from your revenue. So you can only claim £10m. That's also the case under PL rules, where a deal that's been concluded without approval is deemed to be overvalued. If you submit a proposed deal that is deemed to be overvalued then I believe the PL can force the club to renegotiate it to the lower value.

I believe the current rules we're challenging require that any APT has to be commensurate with two other proposed deals you've obtained "quotes" for from non-associated parties. That's complete nonsense. It's saying that if we want to do a new deal with Etihad, we have to get comparable quotes from BA and Delta.
It's as if the PL have funded a Law school where it produces its own branded Lawyers. That's Lawyers who are prepared to distort, mangle and re-interprerate Anti Competition Law beyond reason. I sometimes think the substance of this whole 115 shit show is 95% Ethihad Airways. The lengths the PL cartel have gone to is beyond belief, but as we've seen with PSR this will come back to haunt them !
eg if INEOS are thinking of sponsoring the rags they will have to get comparable bids from the likes of BASF or the Dow Chemical Co, their main commercial competitors. No doubt that's why scruffy j is saying its all gone too far.

Is it retrospective ? Let's say a club bought an 80 million pound player for 40 million they would be, stop laughing at the back there, forced to show the higher figure. But, and this is where it gets complicated, if after a couple of years sold that player for 3 shilling and 6 pence*, would they get a refund ?

* That's old money, in new money it would probably be around half a mill. Not that it would ever happen of course

Unless I am misunderstanding, rule E67 requires a club whose threshold transaction has been determined to be above market value to either i) cancel the contract, or ii) change the terms of the contract and repay the excess back to the other party.

It's not just a question of reporting an adjusted income to the PL for PSR purposes, I don't think.

I can't imagine any of that is legal?

Unless I am misunderstanding, rule E67 requires a club whose threshold transaction has been determined to be above market value to either i) cancel the contract, or ii) change the terms of the contract and repay the excess back to the other party.

It's not just a question of reporting an adjusted income to the PL for PSR purposes, I don't think.

Wow - surely not !!!

Of course - I do not doubt you - just shocked

So we get a sponsor for 100m and they value it at 40m - we don't just lose the credit of 60m we have to reduce the revenue?

I'm sure we're doing this anyway, but let's hope every single thing the red cartel do, every loan, transfer, appointment, partnership, sponsorship is micro scrutinised by our in house compliance team. Absolutely anything they do that's suspect and we have grounds then we lodge a complaint with the PL. If we don't get a satisfactory outcome we go straight to arbitration. If that doesn't work straight to the Independent Regulator or the commercial courts. That's the future...

Last edited:

I had a quick read of the handbook but there seemed to be a distinction between deals that had been signed without PL approval and proposed deals that hadn't been signed. But, to be honest, I'm getting pissed off with this stuff and struggle to motivate myself to keep on top of it all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.