PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

That's a good point. They clearly give a big weighting to PLC clubs on the 'Good Governance' part of the index because, as they put it, they have a legal requirement for 'Good Governance'. But they also say: Good Governance draws on 55 different metrics and covers areas such as board structure, accountability and transparency. They do note United, Spurs and Celtic have a significant fan presence on their boards, so maybe that adds to the supposed 'transparency' but I don't think Spurs or United fans think the way their clubs are run is transparent.

I'm not sure the PLC status is all that indicative of good governance either personally(though I'm no expert). Or how United ended up with such as high Financial Sustainability score given their debt, wages, netspend and so on. United fans themselves have been complaining for many years about how poorly the club has been ran, how wasteful they have been, the board structure and ownership has been refreshed exactly because it wasn't considered good.

United and their fans use the PLC card way to often, more recently they were using it to explain why they got way more exceptions approved for PSR by the PL. "Because we are more honest, open and transparent and clubs like Everton aren't, that's why we got everything we wanted and they didn't". Which sounds like bullshit, how would they know how transparent Everton or Forest were being with the exceptions they asked for? UEFA denied United all the exceptions they asked for their part, but we are supposed to believe the PL were justified and move on, nothing to see because United released a PR statement...

I've read business insider articles suggesting their corporate structure is that the brand is based in the Cayman Islands and the club itself is a shell corporation.

50256a55eab8ea302a000000
That’s the way the Glazers commercial property business works. The whole empire is built on a mountain of debt. At some point it will collapse and they will sell up.

Once the PL referred the allegations to the IP, I am not sure what else they could do apart from seeing the process through especially if one believes, as I do, that the club has said no to a settlement. It would be professional suicide to drop the case now. Much better to get a verdict and spin it. These guys are akin to politicians anyway. They would be able to point to a success on non-cooperation if they get one, for example, and spin it as the club "playing the game" on the other allegations.

I have explained before why I think they referred the allegations but I think, once that was done, the die was cast.
I would argue that dropping the case would have been bad due to people's assumption of guilt but if the evidence supplied did not show on the balance of probability that there was a case to answer then it is the correct course of action.

That said it could be completely different from employment law investigations which is my job but it seems similar. Put it this way in my experience when an investigation shows no case or proper procedures have not been followed it unlikely to take to hearing (and definitely not if no case to answer)

The claim that City had not cooperated with the UEFA investigation into our finances resulted in a withholding of CL monies to the tune of some 10 million euros, though we had submitted all requested documents to CAS. The ruling was based on the assumption that UEFA were an honourable governing body and that, as such, they would have terminated their investigation in the face of overwhelming evidence before CAS was involved. This is a principle the PL could well use: if we're guilty it is more evidence of our cheating and dishonesty, but if we are innocent why did we not cooperate and save the PL the trouble and expense of such a lengthy investigation and hearing? Heads they win: tails we lose? The PL a model of integrity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.