PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

This is right. By the same token there is no real reason to single out football as opposed to any other form of trade.
Why does flat horse racing get a free pass?
At the top level it is totally reliant on Arab money. They plough billions into it. The whole of the Goodwood Festival is sponsored by QIPCO who cough up £8m in prize money over just five days of racing. Never a peep or a squeak from the media about it. Never. Not so long ago the big snake Sheikh from Saudi was in the royal carriage with the queen at Ascot. If there is a sport that is ‘sports washing’ then it’s horse racing.

Migrants from India & Phillipines living in abject poverty go to UAE & Qatar to work & send money back to families & no one criticises their homeland.

Exactly, and there's individual accountability. I'm sure most of them know the risks of pretending to do a job they're not qualified to do, and unfortunately in construction the consequences can be fatal. It's not right, and it shouldn't be the case, but people are going to do whatever it takes to earn life changing money when they're living in poverty. For people in suits to talk about it is just ridiculous.

The main point I always make is that the Saudi's for example would be far better off not investing in anything. No one would be talking about them. Their investment in sport is always labelled sport washing now, with their Human Right's record continuously raised. So it's not really doing the job is it. Before they invested in sport no one said a word about what they were up to. In typical fashion the people in suits or on the radio/social media only care when it becomes a buzz word. GNIAC caring so much he took a job in Qatar to "highlight the issues" rather than stay at home without the salary and highlight the issues!

I'm much more concerned about what I see as US sportwashing on our game. The US owners are used to sports that don't have the jeopardy of relegation and that don't have opposition to moving where the money is. They'll do their best to create a league where they don't have to invest much money to make a hell of a lot of profit. That's why our owners are such a big threat. They are willing to invest significantly because they back themselves to employ the right people to secure a huge return on that and play the long game.

Ok but the last one I saw was from Amnesty. It is a moving feast. My point remains that the UAE does not deserve to be singled out as a special case just because City’s owner happens to be from the UAE.
Maybe, but the media's maltreatment of City is a different topic to the UAE's poor human rights.

All hail the Pythons!

You could make a reasonable case for ‘sports washing’ falling under the wider umbrella of the UAE’s 2017 Soft Power Strategy, so it perhaps shouldn’t be dismissed totally out of hand, but personally I don’t think that was the sole, or even primary, reason SM bought the club. It’s a convenient stick to beat us with either way

All countries seek to maximise their soft power, but it's only sinister for the liberal left when it comes to the likes of the Gulf Arabs and China.

There are 64 countries that have laws that criminalise homosexuality, and nearly half of these are in Africa. For example, Kenya has very draconian anti gay laws, and if you go looking for it various international bodies periodically wring their hands about it, but the tourist industry flourishes unfettered, free of any meaningful criticism.

But what does a fat old white geezer know, let's hear it from the chosen one...

Call me cynical, but my guess is homophobia in Black Africa won't figure too prominently in Black History Month.

Last edited:
Exactly, and there's individual accountability. I'm sure most of them know the risks of pretending to do a job they're not qualified to do, and unfortunately in construction the consequences can be fatal. It's not right, and it shouldn't be the case, but people are going to do whatever it takes to earn life changing money when they're living in poverty. For people in suits to talk about it is just ridiculous.

The main point I always make is that the Saudi's for example would be far better off not investing in anything. No one would be talking about them. Their investment in sport is always labelled sport washing now, with their Human Right's record continuously raised. So it's not really doing the job is it. Before they invested in sport no one said a word about what they were up to. In typical fashion the people in suits or on the radio/social media only care when it becomes a buzz word. GNIAC caring so much he took a job in Qatar to "highlight the issues" rather than stay at home without the salary and highlight the issues!

I'm much more concerned about what I see as US sportwashing on our game. The US owners are used to sports that don't have the jeopardy of relegation and that don't have opposition to moving where the money is. They'll do their best to create a league where they don't have to invest much money to make a hell of a lot of profit. That's why our owners are such a big threat. They are willing to invest significantly because they back themselves to employ the right people to secure a huge return on that and play the long game.

It’s possible Saudi are trying to change their own populations attitudes from the elderly ultra conservative to a more liberal attitude. Most of the ruling classes have lived it up in the West & then behave back home.

The bridge to Bahrain on a Friday night is full of revellers on the piss.

Why does flat horse racing get a free pass?
At the top level it is totally reliant on Arab money. They plough billions into it. The whole of the Goodwood Festival is sponsored by QIPCO who cough up £8m in prize money over just five days of racing. Never a peep or a squeak from the media about it. Never. Not so long ago the big snake Sheikh from Saudi was in the royal carriage with the queen at Ascot. If there is a sport that is ‘sports washing’ then it’s horse racing.
You're asking the wrong question though mate. It's not why does racing get a free pass, but why is football being singled out.

Much ignorance continues to be talked about current socioeconomic conditions and trends in the UEA.

Many things have changed and improved most particularly in the construction industry.

Safety standards are higher than in the west, accommodation is appropriate and practical, and wages are good.

South Asians,Philippineos and other nationals have historically been economic blue collar migrants, as have Italians and Irish.

Dubai has over 180 nationalities as residents from all over the planet, including thousands of British and Americans.

To suggest that the UAE today is dangerously exploitative of migrants is wide of the mark & I'm happy to set the record straight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.