PL Ipswich Town (h) post match thread

ITFC fan here - I come in peace! Just wanted to share some thoughts on Saturday and our visit to the Etihad.

First off really impressed by the Etihad as a stadium, which will only improve when the expansion of the other end stand is complete. Been to Old Trafford many times, and it is in a dire state. Much like our older stands at PR - although we keen them in better nick than your rivals. I was in the upper tier right in the gods. But great view.

Thanks for our goal and moment! It was bedlam in the away end. But we then shot ourselves in the foot with multiple errors - including from ex-player Muric. But you hit the cross bar square on twice so score was probably right. Delap was good for us and a beast. But he was isolated. We also didn’t turn moments of threat into actual chances. But we’re still in transition with lots of new players coming in, including Philips.

McKenna is the real deal, and he felt our game management cost us the errors.

Do you think we’ll have enough to stay up?

I was really impressed with Lewis and Savinho. I hadn’t got the hype around Lewis, but he is sublime and all over the pitch. Halland is a beast, and sadly Town are going to learn that in the top flight, you get punished by errors.

Anyway a good day out. This video from the main Ipswich fan site is worth a view, sense of the away day itself but also come good analysis of City from the press box:

To be honest I haven't a clue if you will stay up. The pl is a fucking mess teams getting docked points for trying to compete against the 3 red tops +1.

It's going to be tough for you, Delap needs to remember it's a football match and not try to be a hard man kicking everyone.
Cut out the mistakes and that will help !.

But who knows Everton, Leicester look like being docked points at a time when utd were allowed to be 75million over ffp or whatever its called now. It's going to be a mess as the pl presses the self destruction button.

I like Ipswich town use to go a few times back in the 2010's on a freebie.

Good luck for the season

I think right now it's 50/50 if you stay up. Ask me again at Xmas.

You talk about Fulham as if they're fucking Blackpool a bit like Luton fans last year. I suspect you're going to have your eyes opened a little when you play the "easy teams". The gap between the Championship and the PL is a chasm you've not fully appreciated yet. Wait until just after Xmas when yellow cards and injuries stack up and you have to go deep into your squad, then well see what you've got.

You played a City team at about 80% fitness, most 1st teamers have had no pre-season post Euros. Also without the Leagues two best players from last year, Foden and Rodri and still got bummed. After you scored with your only shot, we took our foot off the gas when you camped in your own box the entirety of the 2nd half by which time, the game was already won. If the 2 efforts that hit the woodwork go in, they often do here, it's likely 6 or 7 and a proper good hiding.

Just for your Info people leave early all the time when the result is not in the balance and partly because the transport infrastructure is fucking garbage unfortunately and quite frankly you're small fry on the big stage. Not meant to be disparaging but it's a fact.

As for the WWYWYWS, cheats and
still wont sing chants , oh do fuck off it's so small time.

I should say well done on selling out your allocation and you were loud and proud which is admirable. Just like our away support is and always has been as you will witness later this season. Unfortunately there is no silverware or plaudits for "best singers".
I think you make some valid points here.

Man City were not at full flight, and we still lost 4-1 and you hit the bar twice, and I’m talking square on!

I also agree too many Town fans are taking Fulham for granted, and the relegation mini-league won’t perhaps include them, Palace, Brighton or Bournemouth. We need Everton to continue to implode along with Leicester. The video I shared does talk about looking ahead to Fulham a lot, and danger it’s positioned as a must win, when we’ve basically got a brand new team.

As for the atmosphere, some of the Town chants and leaving early - all covered in the video below. I don’t think Town fans really see City as plastic as United. We know swathes of you have been where we’ve been. But I think Town fans are a little surprised by the atmosphere in the PL so far. Liverpool away fans were dead quiet - we’re used to Leeds and Sheff Weds! Even QPR.

One question for you? Do you think the thrill of victory and goals has been diminished somewhat due to your continued and massive success?!? Leaving at 80mins is alien to us.

For those coming to Portman Road you’ll love it… club is very ingrained in what is a sleepy Suffolk Town… tractors arise!

Enjoy the rest of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a good point, and to be honest we’ve just spent a £100m net in this window ourselves. This is the level we’re at now. (Note: Amazing result for Maresca yesterday - didn’t expect that).

To be fair on the video I thought it was complimentary to City and the Etihad, and thought the young journalist in the press box gives a brilliant insight to Savinho and Lewis:

Yep I liked the video. Some of us City fans are just prickly when it comes to people mentioning money. Like we're the only ones who spend any.

I don't know about anyone else, but before a ball was kicked this season I was looking forward to this campaign even more than in previous years. The players look well up for defending the trophy. Normally our first few games are a grind because of the precision football we play - it takes until November/December before we get fully into our groove. This season we look slicker than usual with our wide players causing mayhem for defenders and Erling refreshed. More than that, we look like a happy team!!

Their IT people will have to be working like maniacs on that. They've got “customers” now (not just supporters).
It's the same with other things too, not just football supporters becoming customers.
In transport, passengers becoming customers.
In the NHS , patients becoming customers and so on.

This way of thinking removes emotional attachment and just treats people as something to make a profit from.
A very sad state of affairs.

ITFC fan here - I come in peace! Just wanted to share some thoughts on Saturday and our visit to the Etihad.

First off really impressed by the Etihad as a stadium, which will only improve when the expansion of the other end stand is complete. Been to Old Trafford many times, and it is in a dire state. Much like our older stands at PR - although we keen them in better nick than your rivals. I was in the upper tier right in the gods. But great view.

Thanks for our goal and moment! It was bedlam in the away end. But we then shot ourselves in the foot with multiple errors - including from ex-player Muric. But you hit the cross bar square on twice so score was probably right. Delap was good for us and a beast. But he was isolated. We also didn’t turn moments of threat into actual chances. But we’re still in transition with lots of new players coming in, including Philips.

McKenna is the real deal, and he felt our game management cost us the errors.

Do you think we’ll have enough to stay up?

I was really impressed with Lewis and Savinho. I hadn’t got the hype around Lewis, but he is sublime and all over the pitch. Halland is a beast, and sadly Town are going to learn that in the top flight, you get punished by errors.

Anyway a good day out. This video from the main Ipswich fan site is worth a view, sense of the away day itself but also come good analysis of City from the press box:

I don't really know if you have enough to stay up. I think playing at the Etihad is a daunting prospect for any team and I wouldn't like to judge on that single game so I'll have to wait until I've seen you a few more teams, but I think there were positives. Your goal was well crafted and, I believe, the result of weaknesses in our approach spotted by your coaching staff in preparation for the game and this will bode very well for the future if you approach games with this detailed preparation and are capable of putting your plans into action. Unfortunately you immediately underwent a torrid period after your goal in which you conceded 3 quick fire goals and the game was effectively lost. I was rubbing my hands together and looking forward to 6 or 7! That wouldn't have been unusual at the Etihad in the first weeks of the season, and we did rattle the bar a couple of times soon after, but I did admire the way you stuck at it, with great determination and never lost your shape. In the second half you looked quite good on the counter. A good number of teams have come to the Etihad and crumbled completely under the onslaught. So I wish you luck, it will be a difficult season ... but here's hoping. And you won't have to face KdB and a certain Norwegian monster every week! So I think there are grounds to believe that there are (at least) 3 weaker teams in the division, and that's all you need, at least this season.

I’ve just read in The Athletic that Saturday was the earliest in a Premier League game that four goals were scored, since City beat Watford 8-0 in September 2019.

I think you make some valid points here.

Man City were not at full flight, and we still lost 4-1 and you hit the bar twice, and I’m talking square on!

I also agree too many Town fans are taking Fulham for granted, and the relegation mini-league won’t perhaps include them, Palace, Brighton or Bournemouth. We need Everton to continue to implode along with Leicester. The video I shared does talk about looking ahead to Fulham a lot, and danger it’s positioned as a must win, when we’ve basically got a brand new team.

As for the atmosphere, some of the Town chants and leaving early - all covered in the video below. I don’t think Town fans really see City as plastic as United. We know swathes of you have been where we’ve been. But I think Town fans are a little surprised by the atmosphere in the PL so far. Liverpool away fans were dead quiet - we’re used to Leeds and Sheff Weds! Even QPR.

One question for you? Do you think the thrill of victory and goals has been diminished somewhat due to your continued and massive success?!? Leaving at 80mins is alien to us.

For those coming to Portman Road you’ll love it… club is very ingrained in what is a sleepy Suffolk Town… tractors arise!

Enjoy the rest of the season.
Leaving early has been quite a topic between City fans over the years..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.