PL Ipswich Town (h) post match thread

Fair post. I think the billion pound figure won't stand up to scrutiny, frankly, but let that go. As for staying up, the problem is clearly now that there is a constant yo-yoing of teams who are just that bit too good for the Championship, but just not quite good enough for the Premier League. Perhaps they should create an intermediate league — the Premier Championship? You will have this problem. Sometimes, a team just survives by the skin of its teeth for one, two, or even three seasons, and then drops back down. I personally think that'll be Forest's scenario this season.
On another point entirely, addressed not just to you but to all blues who come up from London. Is the service between Euston and Manchester now, finally, reliable? It has been positively nightmarish for about three seasons, and I've taken to simply flying direct into Manchester (from abroad).
It would be nice to think I could take that train again. If it can be counted on…
I've had 2-3 excellent recent experiences, but apparently there were all sorts of problems last Sunday with the trains delayed in both directions.

Fair post. I think the billion pound figure won't stand up to scrutiny, frankly, but let that go. As for staying up, the problem is clearly now that there is a constant yo-yoing of teams who are just that bit too good for the Championship, but just not quite good enough for the Premier League. Perhaps they should create an intermediate league — the Premier Championship? You will have this problem. Sometimes, a team just survives by the skin of its teeth for one, two, or even three seasons, and then drops back down. I personally think that'll be Forest's scenario this season.
On another point entirely, addressed not just to you but to all blues who come up from London. Is the service between Euston and Manchester now, finally, reliable? It has been positively nightmarish for about three seasons, and I've taken to simply flying direct into Manchester (from abroad).
It would be nice to think I could take that train again. If it can be counted on…
Dunno about the overall service but all the London trains through Macc were either cancelled or rerouted this weekend and last, so I wouldn’t say it’s stable yet

ITFC fan here - I come in peace! Just wanted to share some thoughts on Saturday and our visit to the Etihad.

First off really impressed by the Etihad as a stadium, which will only improve when the expansion of the other end stand is complete. Been to Old Trafford many times, and it is in a dire state. Much like our older stands at PR - although we keen them in better nick than your rivals. I was in the upper tier right in the gods. But great view.

Thanks for our goal and moment! It was bedlam in the away end. But we then shot ourselves in the foot with multiple errors - including from ex-player Muric. But you hit the cross bar square on twice so score was probably right. Delap was good for us and a beast. But he was isolated. We also didn’t turn moments of threat into actual chances. But we’re still in transition with lots of new players coming in, including Philips.

McKenna is the real deal, and he felt our game management cost us the errors.

Do you think we’ll have enough to stay up?

I was really impressed with Lewis and Savinho. I hadn’t got the hype around Lewis, but he is sublime and all over the pitch. Halland is a beast, and sadly Town are going to learn that in the top flight, you get punished by errors.

Anyway a good day out. This video from the main Ipswich fan site is worth a view, sense of the away day itself but also come good analysis of City from the press box:

Fair post apart from the Billion Quid. I think you could stay up if you keep Delap under control! He’s going to get a few cards with a more experienced referee.
I sit near the opposition dug out (bit of a misnomer saying dugout these days!) and Kieran McKenna was extremely vocal but only once stepped outside his technical area (I have this chip on my shoulder about that) and was very restrained and thoughtful in my opinion.
Keep trying, I followed us through thick and thin, and thinner and could only dream of times like today. Your day may come.
All the best. :-)

ITFC fan here - I come in peace! Just wanted to share some thoughts on Saturday and our visit to the Etihad.

First off really impressed by the Etihad as a stadium, which will only improve when the expansion of the other end stand is complete. Been to Old Trafford many times, and it is in a dire state. Much like our older stands at PR - although we keen them in better nick than your rivals. I was in the upper tier right in the gods. But great view.

Thanks for our goal and moment! It was bedlam in the away end. But we then shot ourselves in the foot with multiple errors - including from ex-player Muric. But you hit the cross bar square on twice so score was probably right. Delap was good for us and a beast. But he was isolated. We also didn’t turn moments of threat into actual chances. But we’re still in transition with lots of new players coming in, including Philips.

I was really impressed with Lewis and Savinho. I hadn’t got the hype around Lewis, but he is sublime and all over the pitch. Halland is a beast, and sadly Town are going to learn that in the top flight, you get punished by errors.

Anyway a good day out. This video from the main Ipswich fan site is worth a view, sense of the away day itself but also come good analysis of City from the press box:

I thought you looked decent in parts (and could have had a pen)...but not any real threat on goal and City were on cruise control and would hsve stepped it up if you'd have pulled one back.

I think the big questions will be can you score enough goals and will you continue with same style of football throughout or be a bit more pragmatic (tbf you did this a bit after going 3-1 down).

You are a bit like Burnley under Kompany and need to learn from that.
Szomodics/Delap probably need to score 30+ between them. And need to keep under 65 goals conceded.

Good luck and enjoy it. Though must admit, I always preferred Norwich because we always smashed them home and away even WWWS, whereas had a pretty poor record at Portman Road (FA cup game in 2002 being the happy exception). :-)

I think right now it's 50/50 if you stay up. Ask me again at Xmas.

You talk about Fulham as if they're fucking Blackpool a bit like Luton fans last year. I suspect you're going to have your eyes opened a little when you play the "easy teams". The gap between the Championship and the PL is a chasm you've not fully appreciated yet. Wait until just after Xmas when yellow cards and injuries stack up and you have to go deep into your squad, then well see what you've got.

You played a City team at about 80% fitness, most 1st teamers have had no pre-season post Euros. Also without the Leagues two best players from last year, Foden and Rodri and still got bummed. After you scored with your only shot, we took our foot off the gas when you camped in your own box the entirety of the 2nd half by which time, the game was already won. If the 2 efforts that hit the woodwork go in, they often do here, it's likely 6 or 7 and a proper good hiding.

Just for your Info people leave early all the time when the result is not in the balance and partly because the transport infrastructure is fucking garbage unfortunately and quite frankly you're small fry on the big stage. Not meant to be disparaging but it's a fact.

As for the WWYWYWS, cheats and
still wont sing chants , oh do fuck off it's so small time.

I should say well done on selling out your allocation and you were loud and proud which is admirable. Just like our away support is and always has been as you will witness later this season. Unfortunately there is no silverware or plaudits for "best singers".
100%.

First top flight away game, first away game of the season, a new ground and the home of the FOUR in a row CHAMPIONS.....for the Suffolk ploughing champions it was nirvana.

Then they got impertinent and insolent but forgot that City fans have got to go to their midden.....have very long memories & 24 years to keep a simmering wrath warm.

BOOM !!

Good post mate.
I watched your game against the Dippers and you had the best of the first half. If you can maintain that standard in games against the bottom half you will be fine.
Imo there is an increasing gap between top 6 and the rest. There are some poorish teams in the PL so you might be ok if you remember to play football. I saw glimpses of that in the first half on Saturday when you transitioned quickly. Your manager seems sharp so you have a chance. Delap stepped over the line between robust. and physical and dirty bastard. He showed some of that when he was with us and he needs to watch his discipline if he wants to avoid collecting points or injuring someone badly.

Your fans were loud despite is being mainly aimed at us rather than supporting your team but well done for the noise. And to answer your question WWYWYWC? Most of us watching City actually. The attendances when we were in 3rd Div where larger than many get now in the PL. You might want to get some of your mates to google that one.
Inevitably our success attracts tourists. Show me a successful club anywhere in Europe that doesn't. Undoubtedly they have replaced some long term fans that have been simply priced out of the ground. Any club that has success has that as a byproduct. You better pray that we come out of the independent commission ok as if we get taken down by a combination of a corrupt PL and the red shirt cartel, there is no chance that any other team will be allowed to do what we have done in the last ten years. Don't believe the tabloids use some independent thinking as to why we are where we are.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

Good post mate.
I watched your game against the Dippers and you had the best of the first half. If you can maintain that standard in games against the bottom half you will be fine.
Imo there is an increasing gap between top 6 and the rest. There are some poorish teams in the PL so you might be ok if you remember to play football. I saw glimpses of that in the first half on Saturday when you transitioned quickly. Your manager seems sharp so you have a chance. Delap stepped over the line between robust. and physical and dirty bastard. He showed some of that when he was with us and he needs to watch his discipline if he wants to avoid collecting points or injuring someone badly.

Your fans were loud despite is being mainly aimed at us rather than supporting your team but well done for the noise. And to answer your question WWYWYWC? Most of us watching City actually. The attendances when we were in 3rd Div where larger than many get now in the PL. You might want to get some of your mates to google that one.
Inevitably our success attracts tourists. Show me a successful club anywhere in Europe that doesn't. Undoubtedly they have replaced some long term fans that have been simply priced out of the ground. Any club that has success has that as a byproduct. You better pray that we come out of the independent commission ok as if we get taken down by a combination of a corrupt PL and the red shirt cartel, there is no chance that any other team will be allowed to do what we have done in the last ten years. Don't believe the tabloids use some independent thinking as to why we are where we are.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

Balanced, well argued post as usual, Saddleworth.

McKenna was extremely vocal but only once stepped outside his technical area (I have this chip on my shoulder about that) and was very restrained and thoughtful in my opinion.

Agree with you about that, actually. It might seem like a minor detail to some, but I'd like them to respect it (including Pep, incidentally). That said, you can understand that in the heat of the moment, managers get excited like all of us. They're not looking down at their feet all the time.
What I absolutely don't hold with, though, is managers encroaching onto the pitch itself while the match is going on (and that includes dead ball situations). There's no reason for it. There's no justification for it. It's just bullying, pure and simple. (Might be wrong, but I think Ferguson started it. I want him to have started it anyway. It fits him.)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.