PL v CL

SWP's back said:
Skashion said:
Gelsons Dad said:
What's the money for 5th and CL winners compared to 1st and out at the group stage?
There's virtually no money for winning the Premier League versus fifth. There's a boat load of it for winning the Champions League.
That totally ignores bonuses from Sponsors and marketing.
The money from sponsors and marketing from winning the Champions League would dwarf that from winning the Premier League. The Champions League is the ultimate accolade.

Skashion said:
SWP's back said:
Skashion said:
There's virtually no money for winning the Premier League versus fifth. There's a boat load of it for winning the Champions League.
That totally ignores bonuses from Sponsors and marketing.
The money from sponsors and marketing from winning the Champions League would dwarf that from winning the Premier League. The Champions League is the ultimate accolade.
Yes I know, I was talking about the difference between 5th and 1st hence me only emboldening that part.

Winning the PL shows you are the best team in the country, winning the CL, whilst a high accolade is not always won by the best team in the continent (see Porto, Liverpool and Chelsea).

SWP's back said:
Yes I know, I was talking about the difference between 5th and 1st hence me only emboldening that part.

Winning the PL shows you are the best team in the country, winning the CL, whilst a high accolade is not always won by the best team in the continent (see Porto, Liverpool and Chelsea).
In any given season I'd swap a title win for a Champions League win. Wouldn't even have to think about it. Ultimately, it's the harder trophy to win, the one that every wants and will play their best games for. The money, the kudos, the exposure, the bragging rights, everything points to the Champions League being the most important trophy to win.

League all day every day. Champs league is a bonus. It's like the other cups, to me it doesn't matter if you go out in the group stages or the semi finals, you've still not won it.

ninjamonkey said:
League all day every day. Champs league is a bonus. It's like the other cups, to me it doesn't matter if you go out in the group stages or the semi finals, you've still not won it.

Thats exactly how i feel Finishing 4th in the league and getting to a semi or quater final would be a bloody disaster. We should be looking at trying to win silverware every year and not risking everything on one silly tournament.

Skashion said:
SWP's back said:

In any given season I'd swap a title win for a Champions League win. Wouldn't even have to think about it. Ultimately, it's the harder trophy to win, the one that every wants and will play their best games for. The money, the kudos, the exposure, the bragging rights, everything points to the Champions League being the most important trophy to win.
Regarding bragging rights, there was not one Chelsea fan I knew that thought they were better than City in 2011-12.

As we've never progressed in the Chumps as yet then we don't really know how heavily we, as fans, will get dragged into the euphoria of it all. It's imperative we start to do better in it although, as stated by most on here, it's the Prem that really floats my boat - a Chumps semi/final must be one hell of an experience though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.