PL v CL

Even the "best" team in europe rarely win the CL, and even if we have a very good year we are still unlikely to win it, so winning the PL is far more important imho, and there isn't much point finishing 2nd or 3rd if we can win it.

Winning the CL should always be considered a (major) bonus, as its not very likely (for any club), however getting through the groups to the knock out stages should be considered a must, because we have a squad more than good enough, beyond that there will always an element of luck involved.

SWP's back said:
Regarding bragging rights, there was not one Chelsea fan I knew that thought they were better than City in 2011-12.
Aston Villa fans still dine out on their European Cup win, and so will Chelsea in thirty years time. We didn't even have bragging rights for a season.

Skashion said:
SWP's back said:
Regarding bragging rights, there was not one Chelsea fan I knew that thought they were better than City in 2011-12.
Aston Villa fans still dine out on their European Cup win, and so will Chelsea in thirty years time. We didn't even have bragging rights for a season.
Well we are each entitled to an opinion so I wouldn't try and change your mind or question it but thinking of CL ahead of PL is an anathema to me.

The true test of a team is over 38 games and 10 months. The CL is an added bonus but rarely won by the best team in it.

C? What the fuck? That's the worst option there.

Win one major trophy, fail miserably in another > fail with some dignity in both competitions

SWP's back said:
Well we are each entitled to an opinion so I wouldn't try and change your mind or question it but thinking of CL ahead of PL is an anathema to me.

The true test of a team is over 38 games and 10 months. The CL is an added bonus but rarely won by the best team in it.
I feel I have explained my opinion thoroughly enough. Winning the Champions League, against the best opposition in Europe, is a feat managed by few in any particular league. I can only think of Nottingham Forest who have won the league less than they've won the Champions League. Winning the league is easier, your mistakes can be rectified, whereas the Champions League is a harsh environment that will allow any slip up to be punished by one of the best clubs in Europe. Even Arsenal, by average league position the most consistently successful club in England, have not won the thing. For that reason it is to be prized beyond anything else. You keep mentioning Chelsea, yes, they weren't the best side in Europe when they won it, but they'd been in a final, and numerous semi-finals for the past ten years. They had been a great side, and had previously had bad luck, and finally got some good luck, call it law of averages, and only truly great sides win it multiple times in short time periods. You know when the same side wins it more than once they are one of the greats.

We need to do well in the Prem & The Fa Cup for a few more seasons, before I have any interest in the CL.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.