Player (and manager) threads

There is greater debate about many things, and more people involved, imho.

The old player/manager threads just became arguments between a few posters, with most people avoiding them completely, seems more variety to me.

Then surely the mods should have sorted out those arguments by warning/banning those few posters derailing the thread?

Then surely the mods should have sorted out those arguments by warning/banning those few posters derailing the thread?

I agree with the point made by Cleavers. It felt like many threads just became the province of a limited number of posters having their increasingly heated debates with each other. The level of those debates dominated and diverted the thread topic.

The Agenda/Bias thread was a case in point. It is a major issue (IMO) with such detrimental impact to our club - yet 1 or 2 obsessive posters were able to prevent the rest of us having discussion. It felt like a form of thread vandalism leading to the majority of posters to have to give up on the thread. A number of player threads were similar with an increasingly limited number of posters banging on.

Glad they're gone and hope they stay gone. They were the worst thing I remember happening to the forum. Killed the place

It was a good one stop shop for giving your comments on individual player performances. Now it's all jumbled into one which makes it way less enjoyable. The first page of the blue moon section is now full of really shitty threads that get low reply counts.

I think the last two comments alone show how difficult it'll be to keep everyone happy!

Personally, I didn't like the all-encompassing player threads. They tended to breed negativity and personal arguments between certain posters which stifled debate.

However, I don't think the new system is ideal either. People obviously want to discuss individual players on a football forum, that's inevitable. Trying to contain it in the post-match thread makes it convoluted and hard to follow.

There has to be a happy medium. My initial plan was to rename the existing player threads and only allow discussion of performances in those. So you'd have, for example, "Gael Clichy: 2015/16 performances" and so on. Anything else about the player (transfer speculation, gossip, injuries etc) would go in separate threads as and when they arose.

That way people who wanted to discuss individual performances could do, but hopefully those threads wouldn't dominate the forum quite as much as they did previously.

Obviously we'd have to start moderating these more strictly, to clamp down on some of the wums and personal arguments that were a problem on the old threads.

As I've mentioned a few times, nothing is set in stone so we're open to any suggestions if anyone can think of a better way of doing things moving forward.

I think the last two comments alone show how difficult it'll be to keep everyone happy!

Personally, I didn't like the all-encompassing player threads. They tended to breed negativity and personal arguments between certain posters which stifled debate.

However, I don't think the new system is ideal either. People obviously want to discuss individual players on a football forum, that's inevitable. Trying to contain it in the post-match thread makes it convoluted and hard to follow.

There has to be a happy medium. My initial plan was to rename the existing player threads and only allow discussion of performances in those. So you'd have, for example, "Gael Clichy: 2015/16 performances" and so on. Anything else about the player (transfer speculation, gossip, injuries etc) would go in separate threads as and when they arose.

That way people who wanted to discuss individual performances could do, but hopefully those threads wouldn't dominate the forum quite as much as they did previously.

Obviously we'd have to start moderating these more strictly, to clamp down on some of the wums and personal arguments that were a problem on the old threads.

As I've mentioned a few times, nothing is set in stone so we're open to any suggestions if anyone can think of a better way of doing things moving forward.
Ric
I have been giving this quite a bit of thought as to how to keep everyone happy. As you pointed out people do want to comment on individual players, and often this is a jerking knee response to their performance in the latest game.

The current situation is unsatisfactory. For example, in order to comment on Silva, someone started the 'can Silva command a place in the team', this was followed quickly by a 'can KDB command a place in the team'. What this really represented was the pro Silva and pro KDB forces lining up, because I think there is a debate to be had about how they co-exist in the same team. The same goes for the Pellegrini thread which popped up. It allowed debate and discussion to continue about the pros and cons of the gaffer.

I am convinced that this is not the way to go so might I suggest the following:

Move all the player and manager topics into a separate sub-forum. For example, you can have a Gael Clichy 15/16 performance and you can replicate that for every player. You can also have a Manager 15/16 performance contained in that forum. I think by doing it this way it unclutters the bluemoon forum for genuine discussion about general City issues. In addition it would be easier to moderate and still allows the fans to vent their spleen, to condemn or praise, individual players.

I also think this is smarter from a business point of view because I guarantee there will be less traffic on bluemoon if the current situation continues.

All in all its not a perfect solution but I think it tries to placate both sides of the debate. I recall asking you the other day where the Silva thread was (it had been removed for sanitising), and often it is difficult to find a player thread because it can disappear quickly off the first page of the bluemoon forum.

So I believe this approach would actually be more user friendly. I think most fans would adapt to this approach quite quickly.

For your consideration.

Ric
I have been giving this quite a bit of thought as to how to keep everyone happy. As you pointed out people do want to comment on individual players, and often this is a jerking knee response to their performance in the latest game.

The current situation is unsatisfactory. For example, in order to comment on Silva, someone started the 'can Silva command a place in the team', this was followed quickly by a 'can KDB command a place in the team'. What this really represented was the pro Silva and pro KDB forces lining up, because I think there is a debate to be had about how they co-exist in the same team. The same goes for the Pellegrini thread which popped up. It allowed debate and discussion to continue about the pros and cons of the gaffer.

I am convinced that this is not the way to go so might I suggest the following:

Move all the player and manager topics into a separate sub-forum. For example, you can have a Gael Clichy 15/16 performance and you can replicate that for every player. You can also have a Manager 15/16 performance contained in that forum. I think by doing it this way it unclutters the bluemoon forum for genuine discussion about general City issues. In addition it would be easier to moderate and still allows the fans to vent their spleen, to condemn or praise, individual players.

I also think this is smarter from a business point of view because I guarantee there will be less traffic on bluemoon if the current situation continues.

All in all its not a perfect solution but I think it tries to placate both sides of the debate. I recall asking you the other day where the Silva thread was (it had been removed for sanitising), and often it is difficult to find a player thread because it can disappear quickly off the first page of the bluemoon forum.

So I believe this approach would actually be more user friendly. I think most fans would adapt to this approach quite quickly.

For your consideration.

Sounds a pretty good idea.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.