Player thread: Aleksandar Kolarov (2014/15)

Has played well the last 5 or 6 games and scored some great free kicks but for most of the season he has been poor.

So in the 5 years he’s been at City, we’ve finished 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, and 2nd. He’s had assists at Wembley, and against United, and also scored the crucial equalizer in the 3-3 against Sunderland in 2012 (or did I dream that we eventually won the title on goal difference?)

Of course he’s inconsistent, but unlike some of the more fashionable players who rarely receive criticism, (even when regularly underperforming against Bayern, and Barcelona,)Kolarov can boast some pretty important goals and assists in the Champions League. Equalizer against Villarreal anyone?

Are there better left backs in Europe? Of course there are. How many of them will cost less than the 16M we paid for Kolarov? How much did the Rags pay for Luke Shaw?

As for the abuse at the Norwich game, I don’t recall too many City fans complaining when Kolarov responded to the taunts from the Albanian fans at Newcastle the other season, or even at White Hart Lane last Month when a Tottenham fan had a go.

Clichy has made just as many, if not more stupid mistakes, but doesn’t receive anything like the personal, spiteful, vitriol aimed at Kolarov. In fact, I suspect that some of it might be due to the fact that he’s Serbian.

I’m not going to play the York Card, but Christ I’ve witnessed some shte since my first game in 1971. Don’t lecture me on crap Left Backs unless you’ve trembled with fear every time Kanchelskis, or whoever, has got the ball

Kolarov is Kolarov, but let’s celebrate him for contributing to Joe Hart’s record number of clean sheets, rather than this persistent myopic obsession with slating everything he does.

Point made.

Have a great summer everyone.

grim up north said:
We have some bizarre followers wouldn't call them fans or supporters

If this is a game of hangman then I'm guessing we call them the plural of a 4 letter word. Starts with a C & ends with a T.

Tim of the Oak said:
Excellent defending today from AK!

Not quite his usual self going forward!
I thought (not for the first time recently) that he had a good game today. I've never been his greatest fan, but every time he gets a run of games he gains consistency, as does Clichy.

The real issue seems to be the same for both, not long enough in the team, too much rotation.

Tim of the Oak said:
Excellent defending today from AK!

Not quite his usual self going forward!

My thoughts as well. Some of his crosses were really poor but one of his corners led to Kun's goal today so on reflection I hope he stays as he will be a valuable squad member and at worst will keep the other left back(s) on the top of their game.

He's not a left back, he's a left midfielder who helps out on defence!
And a bloody good one for the last few months!

It is no surprise that most of our attacking wing play....the kind that ends up in the box creating havoc in the opposition defence....comes from Aleks getting his foot through, or around, the ball. His free kick goals have been an added bonus this season, although I think there is far more to come from his game if he stops flopping and using his only move (left footed flick inside the defender) followed, usually by a flop!

I wouldn't get rid unless the price was close to "younger, quality replacement" price...and I don't see who that could be!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.