Player thread : Edin Dzeko (2014/15)

Re: Edin Dzeko (continued)

Hung said:
City had a player a long long time ago called Wynn Davies. He only played for one season. He was big, ungainly, but effective. He was never the most popular with the fans because he wasn’t Francis Lee or Colin Bell. Of course, he wasn’t as accomplished as either of them as a footballer, but, he was effective.

Dzeko is in a similar slot. He isn’t Aguero, he isn’t Silva and is not as accomplished a footballer as either of them. He is effective however and the stats prove it. If we win the league this year it will be in part down to Dzeko’s contribution, both in front of goal and as was proved yesterday, occasionally in defence.

His many detractors should recognise that.

ps - before anyone points it out, I accept entirely that Wynn Davies was more aggressive than Dzeko, but, that was 1971 and in those days, all centre forwards were SAS candidates.

Probably the most accomplished header of a football I've ever seen - "The Mighty Wynn"

Astley Lad said:
Hung said:
City had a player a long long time ago called Wynn Davies. He only played for one season. He was big, ungainly, but effective. He was never the most popular with the fans because he wasn’t Francis Lee or Colin Bell. Of course, he wasn’t as accomplished as either of them as a footballer, but, he was effective.

Dzeko is in a similar slot. He isn’t Aguero, he isn’t Silva and is not as accomplished a footballer as either of them. He is effective however and the stats prove it. If we win the league this year it will be in part down to Dzeko’s contribution, both in front of goal and as was proved yesterday, occasionally in defence.

His many detractors should recognise that.

ps - before anyone points it out, I accept entirely that Wynn Davies was more aggressive than Dzeko, but, that was 1971 and in those days, all centre forwards were SAS candidates.

Probably the most accomplished header of a football I've ever seen - "The Mighty Wynn"

he scored a lot of goals for saints , had a decent season for us , but he then wanted a rest from football , so he signed for yooonited. :)

pudge said:
yeah whatever !! said:
Elk said:
I agree. He can be frustrating with the poor touches, careless passes etc, but it's difficult to argue with his record!

You can have the missus from hell tbh and she could be lacking in most missus'y skills...but if she takes you to heaven and back in bed do you get rid..??
Depends how shallow you are I suppose

It's like the missus getting rid of you for being bad at analogies cue the posters who stopped reading after "anal..."

Too busy doing the ironing to worry about analogies..

Project said:
Think he played well today. When he puts in the effort he is a good guy to have around. Very good target man who scores important goals. Not bad for a third choice striker at all. Its those games where he clearly couldn't give a shit that has hurt his reputation among blues. To be fair these are becoming much less frequent. He has been generally good in 2014.

Stop with this third choice striker bullshit will you. If you haven't notice he has been Manuel's first choice striker for the whole second half of the season. He was always going to be his first choice striker as he said it in the preseason. He dropped him off in the first half of the season only because Negredo had that unbelievable run of the form. It is obvious that MP prefers his big guy up front.

Zizi4City said:
Project said:
Think he played well today. When he puts in the effort he is a good guy to have around. Very good target man who scores important goals. Not bad for a third choice striker at all. Its those games where he clearly couldn't give a shit that has hurt his reputation among blues. To be fair these are becoming much less frequent. He has been generally good in 2014.

Stop with this third choice striker bullshit will you. If you haven't notice he has been Manuel's first choice striker for the whole second half of the season. He was always going to be his first choice striker as he said it in the preseason. He dropped him off in the first half of the season only because Negredo had that unbelievable run of the form. It is obvious that MP prefers his big guy up front.

Said this morning on Sunday supplement the Dzeko was the frist player contacted by Pellers to stay..

I just hope the new contract negotiations are well under way..

Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
After the Wigan game I said, in a moment of anger, that I no longer expected anything whatsoever from Edin Dzeko. Believe me, I am so happy to hold up my hands and say I was wrong. That headed goal was a fine goal. His second was a tap in, but there's a knack to being in the right place at the right time, that's part of a striker's skills too, and Edin has it. Now he's never going to be a Sergio Aguero - you notice how Sergio has this ability to put his shots right in the corner of the goal, where the keeper can't possibly get to them, whereas Edin's shots, whether off the foot or the head, are pretty centrally placed - but credit to the lad, he's had a good season overall, and his work rate has definitely improved. He's a good squad player, but he's never going to be automatic first choice for the starting eleven. I'm very happy to have him in the squad, but I wouldn't blame him at all if he wanted to move on to get first team football at a lesser club this summer.

He won't be going to lesser club believe me.

Zizi4City said:
After the Wigan game I said, in a moment of anger, that I no longer expected anything whatsoever from Edin Dzeko. Believe me, I am so happy to hold up my hands and say I was wrong. That headed goal was a fine goal. His second was a tap in, but there's a knack to being in the right place at the right time, that's part of a striker's skills too, and Edin has it. Now he's never going to be a Sergio Aguero - you notice how Sergio has this ability to put his shots right in the corner of the goal, where the keeper can't possibly get to them, whereas Edin's shots, whether off the foot or the head, are pretty centrally placed - but credit to the lad, he's had a good season overall, and his work rate has definitely improved. He's a good squad player, but he's never going to be automatic first choice for the starting eleven. I'm very happy to have him in the squad, but I wouldn't blame him at all if he wanted to move on to get first team football at a lesser club this summer.

If he was on open sale we'd be flabberghasted at the top clubs showing interest..

yeah whatever !! said:
Zizi4City said:
Project said:

Said this morning on Sunday supplement the Dzeko was the frist player contacted by Pellers to stay..

I just hope the new contract negotiations are well under way..

Some people obviously don't understand. He is a crucial player to his way of playing games and he will stay.

Zizi4City said:

If he was to go all other teams are "lesser clubs" to City, surely..

there will be plenty of top clubs chasing him if we decide to sell him this summer ,yes he can be frustrating and clumsy, but his record is fantastic and I would much rather see him banging the goals in, in a blue shirt than some one elses He is a natural goalscorer and not so easy to replace

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.