Player thread: Edin Dzeko (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
robbieh said:
Let's get this right. Edin Dzeko is a good player. But he is not a good player for us.

If he played for a team that did more counter attacking he'd score more. But the way we like to play, slow build up, congestion in front of opposing defence is never gonna work for him. You have to be a very nippy, mobile forward for this.

Good post and I agree but........the least that is expected of him is to chase down, work hard, compete for headers and lay off a pass to a fellow player. He did nothing of the sort last night. Made my blood pressure go up watching him doing everything half heartedly.

citymad said:
robbieh said:
Let's get this right. Edin Dzeko is a good player. But he is not a good player for us.

If he played for a team that did more counter attacking he'd score more. But the way we like to play, slow build up, congestion in front of opposing defence is never gonna work for him. You have to be a very nippy, mobile forward for this.

Good post and I agree but........the least that is expected of him is to chase down, work hard, compete for headers and lay off a pass to a fellow player. He did nothing of the sort last night. Made my blood pressure go up watching him doing everything half heartedly.

Agree time to take out the deadwood for this year and he's one. Everything for him is done halfheartedly and it's like he's going through the motions in a match. He's been a disappointment this entire season. ^

I think it is time for Dzeko to come in as a sub and win us a game against the rags. It's time to turn the topic upside down, as usual.

citymad said:
robbieh said:

He was brilliant against Newcastle when he recognised that his place was under threat from Bony. I just do not understand why he doesn't show the same effort in every game.

Bluekiwi said:
citymad said:
robbieh said:

He was brilliant against Newcastle when he recognised that his place was under threat from Bony. I just do not understand why he doesn't show the same effort in every game.
Because he only puts in good effort when he wants to or feels like it, it seems. Too many passengers in this team....

I think Dzeko's height has been one of the main reasons people have been on his back.

It sounds silly, but everybody expects him to be a target man. He's 6'4 and well built, we all expect Dzeko to win loads in the air, hold the ball up well and be good with his back to goal.

Reality is, Dzeko isn't good at any of that. And that's where the frustration lies. Dzeko doesn't really know how to use his size.

Dzeko is a great finisher, his goal record proves that, but he isn't much else.

I think if Dzeko was 5'10, the fans could accept that he was just a striker who could score and not much else. A proper poacher. Being 6'4, fans expect a lot more and want him to be a big, powerful striker and he simply isn't that type of player.

CityFan94 said:
I think Dzeko's height has been one of the main reasons people have been on his back.

It sounds silly, but everybody expects him to be a target man. He's 6'4 and well built, we all expect Dzeko to win loads in the air, hold the ball up well and be good with his back to goal.

Reality is, Dzeko isn't good at any of that. And that's where the frustration lies. Dzeko doesn't really know how to use his size.

I think if Dzeko was 5'10, the fans could accept that he was just a striker who could score and not much else. A proper poacher. Being 6'4, fans expect a lot more and want him to be a big, powerful striker and he simply isn't that type of player.

Kind've agree with that despite my anger towards him, trouble is we don't play the quick counter attacking style, just the usual tippy tally stuff on the edge of the box. Makes it hard for him to create space and find that opening. Doesn't excuse the lack of effort and desire, it's disgraceful at times.

CityFan94 said:

He really isn't, I'm pretty sure I saw that his shot conversion rate this year is amongst the 10 worst in the league. He's not a good finisher at all, he's always missed an arse load of chances. His strength seems to be his ability to keep getting chances, not in his ability to conisistently put them away (which is odd, as his movement is frequently awful)

BigOscar said:
CityFan94 said:

He really isn't, I'm pretty sure I saw that his shot conversion rate this year is amongst the 10 worst in the league. He's not a good finisher at all, he's always missed an arse load of chances. His strength seems to be his ability to keep getting chances, not in his ability to conisistently put them away (which is odd, as his movement is frequently awful)

Dzeko's movement can be quite erratic.

Outside the box, his movement is pretty awful, I agree. It's like he has no idea how to get in behind a defence, I think i can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen Dzeko run in behind the defence. Someone like Welbeck has excellent movement outside the box, in terms of getting in behind a defence, but he can't finish a chance to save his life.

Inside the box, Dzeko's movement can be very good. When full backs or wingers (mostly full backs) get to the byline and cut the ball back, Dzeko's movement is very good in that situations.

Dzeko relies very heavily on wing play and we obviously don't play like that.

I think he'll be sold this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.