Player thread: Fernando (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
der-bomber said:
Earlier in the thread someone compared him to a traffic cone .

l think this is being harsh on the traffic cone .

At least a traffic cone would get in the way sometime .

This clown would purposefully move out of the way .

Aye, yesterday the idiom 'rabbit in caught in the headlights' kept coming to mind when watching Fernando. But, I was incorrect to think that because like you say, the rabbit would of been in the way.

I have no settled on the idiom, 'fish out of water' to describe Fernando.

Anyone that was there last night will testify to the fact that he was atrocious, static, statuesque and on the rare occasion the ball landed near him, cowardly. Should not be at city. There is nothing wrong with his effort ( unlike a certain mr nasri who haven't talked the talk failed abysmally to walk the walk) he just is what he is, a poor player. Whoever thought he would improve our midfield needs to be shown the door pronto.

Ok, I just rewatched the game and to be honest, I don't quite get all the criticism he gets now. He's started a bit shaky, but as the game went on, he had few successful interceptions and played well all round, he even had one beautiful dribble ffs! He's limited, but so was Javi Garcia and I can't accept the moaners that say he's much worse than Javi Garcia (who constantly spouted shit on Garcia while he was here), who was of course very good last season, but it's not like he would have changed yesterday's game on his own. I would say Fernando was the last of our issues; Fernandinho should have started alongside him, but it's not his fault that he didn't.

I do not know what people actually expect from him anymore, quite clearly we didn't buy him to be a starter, and yes he's been poor for most of the season, but it's still early days to completely write him off (see Garcia, again). One could argue that why we even bothered to sign him when we've got Garcia who just about settled in last year, but I can see the reasoning behind the fact that we tried to change that element in our squad. He was highly rated in Porto (not just by our scouts) and he's surley much more dynamic than Garcia with at least as good passing range as the Spaniard. His reactions seem too slow though still, which is a concern of course.

Even if he will not improve and won't be an upgrade on Garcia, can't we just accept it somehow? These things, i.e., bad signings happen all the time at any club. Although, I hope this is not the case, and he'll become better.

Hungarian blue said:
Ok, I just rewatched the game and to be honest, I don't quite get all the criticism he gets now. He's started a bit shaky, but as the game went on, he had few successful interceptions and played well all round, he even had one beautiful dribble ffs! He's limited, but so was Javi Garcia and I can't accept the moaners that say he's much worse than Javi Garcia (who constantly spouted shit on Garcia while he was here), who was of course very good last season, but it's not like he would have changed yesterday's game on his own. I would say Fernando was the last of our issues; Fernandinho should have started alongside him, but it's not his fault that he didn't.

I do not know what people actually expect from him anymore, quite clearly we didn't buy him to be a starter, and yes he's been poor for most of the season, but it's still early days to completely write him off (see Garcia, again). One could argue that why we even bothered to sign him when we've got Garcia who just about settled in last year, but I can see the reasoning behind the fact that we tried to change that element in our squad. He was highly rated in Porto (not just by our scouts) and he's surley much more dynamic than Garcia with at least as good passing range as the Spaniard. His reactions seem too slow though still, which is a concern of course.

Even if he will not improve and won't be an upgrade on Garcia, can't we just accept it somehow? These things, i.e., bad signings happen all the time at any club. Although, I hope this is not the case, and he'll become better.
A tackle would be nice

He had at least one on Neymar, unless they counted it as an interception, which would seem strange.

He's not a Kondogbia by any means. :) But I'm still surprised by the amount of stick he gets after we played against Barcelona and were totally outclassed basically just because of the system our coach decided to play. So if he would had 1 or 2 tackles we would have won? I thought that yesterday's display was a bit more complex than that. I think he covered his space just about fine mostly. He wasn't good, he was average, but I just don't think it's fair to label individuals after this game, we lost this game when Pellegrini made up his mind about the way he wanted to face Barca.

He was better in the second half.

Mike Riley may want refs to watch videos of some of Fernando's performances. The refs may then learn how to be close to the play but stay far enough away from the ball so as not to affect play.

Hungarian blue said:

I expect that defensive midfielder could tackle and make some interceptions.. but he doesn't do neither. he is useless.

MeatHunterrr said:
Hungarian blue said:

I expect that defensive midfielder could tackle and make some interceptions.. but he doesn't do neither. he is useless.

I was defending him earlier this season, but watching him last night, my word he was truly awful. He's incapable of passing the ball forward at all, and pretty unreliable at passing it sideways or backwards. I felt like we were playing with 10 men for much of the first half and 10 against 12 when he had the ball.

I hope he will improve and who knows, maybe he will come good, but it's hard to imagine right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.