Player thread: Fernando (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to totally write him off yet. This time last year most people were saying Demichelis was shite & needed to go, but he proved me & quite a few others wrong. He's not been great so far, but it might just take time for him to adapt & settle in.

I'm clinging to the belief that he can't possibly be as bad as he has looked in recent weeks. He was very highly regarded in Portugal, and you don't lose your ability overnight. Maybe it's a confidence/settling in issue, or maybe he's just not suited to the Premier League. Either way, he needs to improve quickly or his spell in England could be a short one.

Juan King said:
Not going to totally write him off yet. This time last year most people were saying Demichelis was shite & needed to go, but he proved me & quite a few others wrong. He's not been great so far, but it might just take time for him to adapt & settle in.

Absolutely. Martin was a great case in point. Lets give him and Eli a decent amount of time before sentencing them

I wouldn't imagine it's too easy to settle into a side that's struggling for form either.

Still holding out hope that he'll come good.

mosssideblue said:
Juan King said:

Absolutely. Martin was a great case in point. Lets give him and Eli a decent amount of time before sentencing them

Difference is Martin took only a dozen games to turn it around and even when he was making mistakes diving in, his desire to have possession and passing was good. Fernando looks poor in most aspects of the game and that is why so many on here, including myself are worried his signing was a mistake.

Juan King said:
What a load if rubbish about Demichelis.
Folks were criticizing him in Oct. By Christmas most had decided he was better than OK and by the start of Feb he had his own song!
Its mid March now and Fernando is still very very poor and showing ZERO signs of improvement. Worse still if he starts the opposition win record is very high.
He's unlikely to come good. More importantly we can't give him the time to do so.

Mr HJ said:
mosssideblue said:
Juan King said:

Difference is Martin took only a dozen games to turn it around and even when he was making mistakes diving in, his desire to have possession and passing was good. Fernando looks poor in most aspects of the game and that is why so many on here, including myself are worried his signing was a mistake.

It was more than a dozen before the majority start giving him a break, funnily enough it was almost exactly a year ago when we played and beat Hull 2-0 that most started to realise that he's actually a very good player.

We should be careful that we don't develop Fergieitis when talking about Demichelis.

Fergieitis is a disease that football fans catch when they want their underperforming manager to stay purely because Alex Ferguson was given time in the 80s and managed to turn it around. This forgets the thousands of managers who got given time and didn't manage to turn it around.

Same with Demichelis, just because a bad player became good doesn't mean that all bad players will become good or are even capable of doing so.

I admit that I've been worried about Fernando since we signed him. Even in a 3 man midfield I don't understand him as a player and don't understand how best to utilise him as he hasn't shown a particular side of his game that he's really good at and we can work around it. Instead the lad seems to be poor at everything. Not having watched him too many times in Portugal and certainly not to the amount that we'd have scouted him, I do think that this is probably an issue with the difference in quality of leagues and it might be better if he went this coming January if he still hadn't improved. We only actually paid £12m for him so it isn't like he was a big signing for us anyway. He was a replacement for Rodwell and we earned money on the trade in.

BlueAnorak said:
Juan King said:
What a load if rubbish about Demichelis.
Folks were criticizing him in Oct. By Christmas most had decided he was better than OK and by the start of Feb he had his own song!
Its mid March now and Fernando is still very very poor and showing ZERO signs of improvement. Worse still if he starts the opposition win record is very high.
He's unlikely to come good. More importantly we can't give him the time to do so.

So the barometer is all new players must be playing well by Christmas or your shite. They are not robots off a production line. Each will have his own period of settling, and if you and others are calling for his head now, that's an opinion, doesn't make any opposing view as beinbg rubbish.

At the level City are at now, I would expect new players to be OK by Christmas and better than OK by March. I certainly wouldn't expect them to play regularly if they were playing as badly as Fernando is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.