Player thread: Fernando (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fernando

cleavers said:
Bluewonder said:
He's been excellent for the last 2 months in helping us win 9 consecutive games and had a tough 2nd 45 after playing 90 mins just 48 hours before. Give the lad a break, FFS.
He'll get one now, 5 bookings isn't it, and the last 2 when he's got the ball.

A good tackler, who isn't yet fully at the pace of the PL, and who wasn't helped out much by the mess on our left against Burnley.

I agree, mate, and a more progressive passer than Garcia/ de Jong as well. He has the technique and tactical ability, he just needs to adjust to the 100mph nature of the league. He was a wrecking ball in Portugal and will be vital for our CL campaign.

city91 said:
super_city_si said:
city91 said:
He's a good player but nothing else. An upgrade on Garcia but a downgrade on De Jong.
Cant agree with that. Fernando has much more to his game and he has shown glimpses of real quality in his distribution. I think he's coming to terms with the league and will be a good player once he settles. I liked De Jong but I feel Fern is a better, De Jong was very 1 dimensional.

De Jong was possibly the most one dimensional player I've seen in a City shirt. However he was the master at it. He was in his prime in the big games. The match when we beat Chelsea at home was one of the best performances from a City player in recent years.

If we are judging Fernando and De Jong as overall midfielders then I'd agree that Fernando is better. But as natural holding midfielders then De Jong is leagues above him.
At this moment in time i would agree that De Jong was better purely as a stopper. But to be where we want to be we need a player with more to his game, more like Matic. Not saying Fernando can achieve that as he does look a little clumsy but he's closer. I view Fernando as a squad player and in that respect I think he is a step up on DJ and Garcia especially. We will need a whole other level of CM to replace Yaya.

Fernando broke up play against West Brom, carried the ball down the field by himself and created the third goal, turning defence into attack in a couple of seconds. NDJ and Garcia would never have done this. Fernando would be better in a 3-man midfield but has done a good job in many games for us and will probably keep improving. He's certainly better than NDJ and Garcia were in their first 6 months at the club.

LoveCity said:
Fernando broke up play against West Brom, carried the ball down the field by himself and created the third goal, turning defence into attack in a couple of seconds. NDJ and Garcia would never have done this. Fernando would be better in a 3-man midfield but has done a good job in many games for us and will probably keep improving. He's certainly better than NDJ and Garcia were in their first 6 months at the club.

I hope you are right mate - ive not see it so far but it's early days so let's judge after the 5-6 weeks when he'll be sharing midfield duties with fernandinho when Yaya is away.

city91 said:
He's a good player but nothing else. An upgrade on Garcia but a downgrade on De Jong.

i'm a big de jong fan but this lad is just so much better. i also rated garcia and again he is an upgrade on him too.

It takes time for new players to settle, generally.

Happy to trust City management on this one.

Maybe a better time to judge is at end of this season.

Excellent today. One fabulous bit of tracking a late run into the box probably saved us from going 2 down. Could be a big player for us in the run in, as was Javi last year.

He played well over all today, I like him. He is a little panicky sometimes on the ball, but not too often.
That free header he had today though that he spooned 30ft over the bar, from a corner of all things! I nearly choked on my burger at the time..
In fairness though he probably thought there is no way this ball is gonna reach me, they never have before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.