Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

Re: James Milner - Striker

Vienna_70 said:
He was superb today, especially when he went up front.

What a great way to celebrate his birthday.

And as a side-note, is he Merlin in disguise?

It's funny how people see the game differently because I thought he was absolutely diabolical in the first half. Took both of his goals very well though.

And regarding Merlin, he came on and completely changed the game with his intelligence, movement and quality, not really 3 things I would say are Milner's strengths. In fact, far from being Merlin in disguise, I think for two players who play in similar positions you couldn't really get much more of a stark contrast between the two of them!

Milner brings great physicality and work rate, excellent defensively and does an awful lot of unselfish work when we don't have the ball. He's a huge asset to the club. But Silva in disguise? I don't get that one at all.

Shaelumstash said:
Vienna_70 said:

It's funny how people see the game differently because I thought he was absolutely diabolical in the first half. Took both of his goals very well though.

And regarding Merlin, he came on and completely changed the game with his intelligence, movement and quality, not really 3 things I would say are Milner's strengths. In fact, far from being Merlin in disguise, I think for two players who play in similar positions you couldn't really get much more of a stark contrast between the two of them!

Milner brings great physicality and work rate, excellent defensively and does an awful lot of unselfish work when we don't have the ball. He's a huge asset to the club. But Silva in disguise? I don't get that one at all.

I wouldn't go as far as describing Milner's first half as diabolical.

Shaelumstash said:
Vienna_70 said:

Milner lacking intelligence? Fucking hell, he may lack finesse but lacking intelligence???!!! He is intelligent and he plays intelligently

Shaelumstash said:
Vienna_70 said:

I was being cryptic.

Merlin is an anagram of Milner.

Vienna_70 said:
Shaelumstash said:
Vienna_70 said:

I was being cryptic.

Merlin is an anagram of Milner.

Haha! Bloody hell sorry mate, right over my head, I was always more of a 15-1 man than a Countdown!

BringBackSwales said:
Shaelumstash said:
Vienna_70 said:

Milner lacking intelligence? Fucking hell, he may lack finesse but lacking intelligence???!!! He is intelligent and he plays intelligently

Football intelligence? Did you see the Bayern Munich game at home this season mate?

BringBackSwales said:
Shaelumstash said:
Vienna_70 said:

I think he's one of our most intelligent players, off the ball, the runs he makes are exceptional. With the ball though, he's a lot less intelligent. Like a lot of english players, he has to look at the ball all the time so rarely gets his head up to pick the right man out, which was on display a fair bit today. If his vision was as good as his movement, he'd be exceptional.

Well Milner can talk to any club now if he wants a move so we'll find out in the next week or two if we have offered him enough dosh

Shaelumstash said:
BringBackSwales said:
Shaelumstash said:

Football intelligence? Did you see the Bayern Munich game at home this season mate?

And did you see the Bayern Munich away game last season, mate?

BringBackSwales said:
Shaelumstash said:
BringBackSwales said:

And did you see the Bayern Munich away game last season, mate?

Yeh he played really well in that game. For me Milner's attributes are his physicality, his determination, effort, work rate, he's not a bad crosser, and he does make some good runs off the ball. Saying intelligence is one of his main attributes is a new one on me though, I've never heard anyone say that before.

His decision making in possession is poor, particularly when playing centrally. When playing against weaker oppossition where he has time to think, he often has his worst games.

While he's been playing up front he has worked so hard for the team, I give him huge credit for that. But his runs are all in straight lines, they're predictable. It's actually proved how hard playing up front is. As Alan Shearer says, you need to make one run for the defender, and another run for your team mate. For all Dzeko's faults, he's excellent at that subtle, intelligent movenent. Aguero is one of the best in the world at it. Lampard is excellent too. Milner grafts so hard up there, but there's not much subtlety or intelligence to his movement.

Not his fault, he's a fish out of water filling in. As I said, his runs while on the wing are quite good, but overall I think it's a stretch to call Milner an intelligent footballer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.