Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

I can only take it as a good sign that milner knows we have top class players arriving this summer so wants out.

How can a player in future leave us then without you thinking hes a greedy footballer?
Hes stayed his full contract. Never moans. Always gives 100%. Said he wants regular 1st team football so thats why hes dropping down a level to play week in week out at Liverpool.

Good luck to him.

I can't fault his commitment, what I do question is his hunger and desire to win trophies. He's already a multi-millionaire and he strikes me as a sensible bloke who is unlikely to blow all his money within a couple of years of retiring.
If it was me, with all that money in the bank, then the most important thing would be to win as much as I possibly could before I retire.
He's no fool, he knows his best chance of medals is staying at City. He will win nothing at Liverpool.
I suppose he can laminate his bank statements and Liverpool wage slips and stick them on the wall above his trophy cabinet.

It’s a weird move and I think it’s got more to do with trying to get in the England squad than anything else. He’s clearly concerned that a big summer spending spree will lead to his isolation and I can’t help but thinking he wants to make the England squad for the Euros next summer and that’s driving him more than anything. Why would you go to Liverpool, where you might make more appearances, but are unlikely to make a huge amount more than currently, and they’re less likely to challenge for trophies… It’s an odd choice. I could understand a move down the league but Liverpool have wide players and a lot of midfield options so I can’t see him getting any more games there than here. They’re not in the CL either. I think it’s a combination of one last significant pay day with a signing on fee and a slightly better chance of game time to get into the England side.

Milner will also have to consider, what if Liverpool have a poor start Brendon gets sacked next manager doesn't fancy him and plays him as a bit part winger?! but hey that's the gamble Milner is taking so in a way if he's thought this through he must be getting a signing on fee and a decent weekly wage, as in stay at city new players coming this summer plus how we do incentives in wages now he might think he might on a basic of say 80/90k.. So it's about money for me if you look at it this way...

well going of this season that's a lie regarding playing time, only reason he is going is he knows we are going to be bringing in next season if he stayed he would get less playing time, anyway good luck to him been a model pro in the field

Exactly, so he knows he won’t play much. His contract has ended so he mays well move on. If he had 3 years left and he was piping up saying he needs more playing time I could understand people moaning but he’s stayed 5 years being a bit part player.
Its a no brainer for me. He wants to play. Liverpool are about his level. He will play most weeks for them. Go for it lad...
People are short sighted. Next season probably wouldn’t even be the problem season for him. If he stayed he would still prob get his 20 plus starts. Its the seasons after where he would be benched and trapped in a contract.

I can't fault his commitment, what I do question is his hunger and desire to win trophies. He's already a multi-millionaire and he strikes me as a sensible bloke who is unlikely to blow all his money within a couple of years of retiring.
If it was me, with all that money in the bank, then the most important thing would be to win as much as I possibly could before I retire.
He's no fool, he knows his best chance of medals is staying at City. He will win nothing at Liverpool.
I suppose he can laminate his bank statements and Liverpool wage slips and stick them on the wall above his trophy cabinet.

Spot on Stony. Well said ... especially the bit at the end about laminating his bank statements. Made me chuckle.

GX Blue agreed people are short sighted when it comes to Milner anyway. Most who don't rate him haven't seen the work he does when he hasn't got the ball. That doesn't often show up on TV. The people who go to match after match and sing his name know what he does. He will take some replacing imo as a "water carrier" as they used to be called is vital to a team to free up and protect the more talented. I'm sorry to see him go

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.