Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

KnaresboroughBlue said:
pudge said:
KnaresboroughBlue said:
I don't think anyone has interpreted it in any way other than the only way that it can be construed. That is an employee trying to get as good a contract as he can from his current employer. If he doesn't get what he feels he deserves, then he goes somewhere else where they are willing to offer him what he thinks he's worth. That's his right.
Was Silva's new 5 year contract met with such cynicism or was it a signal of intent from him that he wanted to be here for a long to come?

There's no cynicism. It's just the reality of how employment contracts work. Silva signed a new deal because he was offered a deal that he found acceptable. I'm sure if he hadn't, he would have looked elsewhere. If we offer Milner what he thinks he's worth, I believe he would sign a new contract. All players do the same except for those at the rags who play for free for love of the club.
What if Milner thinks he's worth a 4 year deal because he believes he has more to offer the club and wants to stay for the foreseeable future?

He's been one of our best players and arguably one of our most important players this season and he sees players of a similar age or standing within the team, i.e. perhaps not a regular starter being offered better deals then why shouldn't he ask for the same?

pudge said:
KnaresboroughBlue said:
pudge said:

I don't think anyone has interpreted it in any way other than the only way that it can be construed. That is an employee trying to get as good a contract as he can from his current employer. If he doesn't get what he feels he deserves, then he goes somewhere else where they are willing to offer him what he thinks he's worth. That's his right.
Was Silva's new 5 year contract met with such cynicism or was it a signal of intent from him that he wanted to be here for a long to come?

Come off it, don't try to pretend that Milner has gotten offered anywhere near the terms that Silva was offered or is anywhere near as sure of his place in our plans going forward. Not to mention Silva's contract was done and dusted long before he reached his final season.

aguero93:20 said:
pudge said:
KnaresboroughBlue said:

Come off it, don't try to pretend that Milner has gotten offered anywhere near the terms that Silva was offered or is anywhere near as sure of his place in our plans going forward. Not to mention Silva's contract was done and dusted long before he reached his final season.
Where am I saying that?

You're wildly overthinking it. When Silva signed his contract it was "Great, shows he's committed and wants to be here signing a deal that long"

Now Jimmy wants a longer contract it's "He's trying the milk the club of every penny"

Silva's contract is merely an example, could have used Edin's recently signed 4 year deal instead.

pudge said:
pudge said:

Where am I saying that?

You're wildly overthinking it. When Silva signed his contract it was "Great, shows he's committed and wants to be here signing a deal that long"

Now Jimmy wants a longer contract it's "He's trying the milk the club of every penny"

Silva's contract is merely an example, could have used Edin's recently signed 4 year deal instead.

Unless you have any proof that Dzeko or Silva were offered a shorter contract originally and held out for a longer offer it's a completely pointless comparison.

Gaudion M said:
KnaresboroughBlue said:
Blue Til Death said:
It does on my calculator too - 80k a week for 3 years = 12,480,000
60k a week for 4 years = 12,480,000 please put me out of my misery if this does not work out the same..!

It's not the maths that doesn't work out, it's the logic. Why would someone choose to work 4 years for the same pay as 3 years?

You: Do you want your £12m over the next 3 years or over the next 4?

Me: 3 years please.

Who's talking about logic? the statement was, 60k over 4 years is not the same as 80k for 3, well it is..! Should he accept that, should he fuck and if he doesnt accept the deal City offer he's entitled to go, I hope they work something out though as I feel he is key to our future success...!

pudge said:
Where am I saying that?

Unless you have any proof that Dzeko or Silva were offered a shorter contract originally and held out for a longer offer it's a completely pointless comparison.
Unless anyone has any evidence of Milner's motives, if true, then the cynicism is completely pointless.

pudge said:
KnaresboroughBlue said:
pudge said:

There's no cynicism. It's just the reality of how employment contracts work. Silva signed a new deal because he was offered a deal that he found acceptable. I'm sure if he hadn't, he would have looked elsewhere. If we offer Milner what he thinks he's worth, I believe he would sign a new contract. All players do the same except for those at the rags who play for free for love of the club.
What if Milner thinks he's worth a 4 year deal because he believes he has more to offer the club and wants to stay for the foreseeable future?

He's been one of our best players and arguably one of our most important players this season and he sees players of a similar age or standing within the team, i.e. perhaps not a regular starter being offered better deals then why shouldn't he ask for the same?

I'm sure he has asked for what he feels he's worth. It's up to the club to try and reach agreement with him. If not, he'll go where he can get the deal he wants. That exactly how it should be and how it is for every other player.

I'm not sure who you think believes he's milking the club dry. He isn't. He's negotiating a contract, just as Silva (or rather his agent) did.

pudge said:
pudge said:
Where am I saying that?

Unless anyone has any evidence of Milner's motives, if true, then the cynicism is completely pointless.

I'm being cynical because I don't automatically assume that one of our players is a mercenary when he hasn't signed a new deal?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.