Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

Re: James Milner - Striker

Puppet Master Silva said:
grim up north said:
If you could both do me a favour and shut up forever, that'd be splendid.

If he goes he will be replaced by a better player

Crazy how we've been playing a player for 4 years who isn't good enough.

I said if he goes he will be replaced by a better player what's the problem

MaineRoadBlue said:
Jesus, it's not often I feel compelled to make comment when just browsing, but some of the absolute shite talked on here about James Milner conclusively proves that City have as many morons supporting them as any other team!

If anyone seriously believes they could find another player who gives anywhere near the effort and commitment James Milner does then they are seriously stupid.

All this shit about 'if he goes he'll be replaced by a better player' is absolute toss. Yes I agree you may find a better technical player, but for commitment absolutely no chance.

In 40 years of watching City I've only seen 2 players come remotely close to the effort that Milner gives on the pitch and that was Doyle and Tevez.

If it was all about technique and ball skill then we'd sign a bloody football freestyler!

Simply put, thank fuck none of you are in charge of player acquisition for City or we'd be in deep shit.

I agree. Although I think Dickov was more tenacious than Tevez. But still, these types of players have immense value.

TangerineSteve17 said:
MaineRoadBlue said:
Jesus, it's not often I feel compelled to make comment when just browsing, but some of the absolute shite talked on here about James Milner conclusively proves that City have as many morons supporting them as any other team!

If anyone seriously believes they could find another player who gives anywhere near the effort and commitment James Milner does then they are seriously stupid.

All this shit about 'if he goes he'll be replaced by a better player' is absolute toss. Yes I agree you may find a better technical player, but for commitment absolutely no chance.

In 40 years of watching City I've only seen 2 players come remotely close to the effort that Milner gives on the pitch and that was Doyle and Tevez.

If it was all about technique and ball skill then we'd sign a bloody football freestyler!

Simply put, thank fuck none of you are in charge of player acquisition for City or we'd be in deep shit.

I agree. Although I think Dickov was more tenacious than Tevez. But still, these types of players have immense value.

Agree with this. I have watched us since 1968. Mike Doyle, Tevez and Milner are the hardest working players we have had in that time. (Colin Bell excepted)

grim up north said:
If you could both do me a favour and shut up forever, that'd be splendid.

If he goes he will be replaced by a better player

Crazy how we've been playing a player for 4 years who isn't good enough.

Remind me again how many games did Edghill play for us

"Effort and commitment", bloody hell. Next I suppose it will about his passion and desire, or maybe his heart or how he always puts in a shift? He's a top level footballer, not a bloody dog. We won't find a better player because he tries harder than anyone else you've seen? That's pretty much the attitude as to why england is shit at football. Any pub player can try his hardest, it's quite frankly doing Jimmy a disservice to only use these descriptions of him. He's a lot better than just some mindless runner "putting in a shift". His movement is very intelligent and his link up play has come on a lot in the past couple of years, and his crossing is amongst the best in the club imo.

The reality is though at the top level you need more ability than he has, no matter how hard he tries. His versatility is an asset, but how often do we actually play him anywhere other than the wing? Once or twice a season for bits of games? So if you wanted to find a better winger in world football to replace him with, would you really struggle? I might struggle to find one who works harder, but I wouldn't struggle to find ones who are better and more effective wingers than he is.

I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for pointing it out, as he is one of the untouchables on here, but he's not a world class player and we could do better. That doesn't mean I think he's useless or don't think he's helpful, it just means I think there are considereably better wingers out there.

BigOscar said:
"Effort and commitment", bloody hell. Next I suppose it will about his passion and desire, or maybe his heart or how he always puts in a shift? He's a top level footballer, not a bloody dog. We won't find a better player because he tries harder than anyone else you've seen? That's pretty much the attitude as to why england is shit at football. Any pub player can try his hardest, it's quite frankly doing Jimmy a disservice to only use these descriptions of him. He's a lot better than just some mindless runner "putting in a shift". His movement is very intelligent and his link up play has come on a lot in the past couple of years, and his crossing is amongst the best in the club imo.

The reality is though at the top level you need more ability than he has, no matter how hard he tries. His versatility is an asset, but how often do we actually play him anywhere other than the wing? Once or twice a season for bits of games? So if you wanted to find a better winger in world football to replace him with, would you really struggle? I might struggle to find one who works harder, but I wouldn't struggle to find ones who are better and more effective wingers than he is.

I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for pointing it out, as he is one of the untouchables on here, but he's not a world class player and we could do better. That doesn't mean I think he's useless or don't think he's helpful, it just means I think there are considereably better wingers out there.

This is a great post. Personally I hope we extend Milner's contract, he's a brilliant utility man, gives us great balance, and every squad could do with a Milner.

But what I don't like is this idea that he's an "unsung hero". He's very much a "sung" hero. His name gets the biggest cheer at the Etihad, his name gets sung more than any others, and he's the type of player that gets applauded and cheered for running around a lot, even when he makes a mistake when he actually gets the ball.

He's the latest in a long line of players including Dickov and Bellamy who are hero worshipped by certain fans because they love the work rate and desire they see in these players. It's easy to relate to, it's how most fans would play if they had chance. The lack of quality just seems to be completely overlooked because of the work rate.

It's a shame the likes of David Silva don't get anywhere near the same level of adulation from fans in the ground, particularly at home. An absolute genius of a footballer, but because he doesn't charge around after lost causes, some fans don't give him the credit his incredible talent deserves.

Shaelumstash said:
BigOscar said:

This is a great post. Personally I hope we extend Milner's contract, he's a brilliant utility man, gives us great balance, and every squad could do with a Milner.

But what I don't like is this idea that he's an "unsung hero". He's very much a "sung" hero. His name gets the biggest cheer at the Etihad, his name gets sung more than any others, and he's the type of player that gets applauded and cheered for running around a lot, even when he makes a mistake when he actually gets the ball.

He's the latest in a long line of players including Dickov and Bellamy who are hero worshipped by certain fans because they love the work rate and desire they see in these players. It's easy to relate to, it's how most fans would play if they had chance. The lack of quality just seems to be completely overlooked because of the work rate.

It's a shame the likes of David Silva don't get anywhere near the same level of adulation from fans in the ground, particularly at home. An absolute genius of a footballer, but because he doesn't charge around after lost causes, some fans don't give him the credit his incredible talent deserves.
Jimmy's a brilliant asset for Manchester City and I think we'd be a poorer team without him, however I do agree that for all the positions he can play for us, that we either have better or could find better.

The thing is though, that Jimmy and the likes of Jimmy are the glue that gels a team. They are the players who do the ugly things so the gem stones around him can do their thing and shine.

I think the question that needs to be asked with players like Jimmy isn't are there better players than him out there, but would our squad be stronger with or without him?

City are a team and no longer just a collection of expensively assembled individuals and as such we need the Jimmy's of this world to make it work. On a final note; all of what I've said doesn't detract from the fact I also think he's a fine footballer. He's no David Silva, but how many players can we truly say are?

Also, could you imagine a team of David Silva's and how it would fair? We'd have little pace, be shit at tackling and no-one would 'track back'! :-)

Shaelumstash said:
BigOscar said:

Great post BigOscar.

Shaelumstash..who doesn't sing Silva's praises? He is, I think, one of the best footballers we've ever had. Doesn't everyone think that?

There is however something to be said about someone giving 100% or 110% (if you're American) in a game of football. It's not about being an athlete, although that helps, it's about the will to win, the will to do your best. Let's lump in desire, commitment etc.

An easy comparison is Yaya. Yes he is more eye-catching than Milner, he has more ability on the ball, he has pace, power etc.

Milner, on the other hand, gives his all every game. Over a season that is invaluable.

I have lost sense in this reply. Cos I know you like Milner. It isn't an attack, I just want to clarify his effectiveness. His worth.

Fucking post is redundant.

TangerineSteve17 said:
Shaelumstash said:
BigOscar said:

Great post BigOscar.

Shaelumstash..who doesn't sing Silva's praises? He is, I think, one of the best footballers we've ever had. Doesn't everyone think that?

There is however something to be said about someone giving 100% or 110% (if you're American) in a game of football. It's not about being an athlete, although that helps, it's about the will to win, the will to do your best. Let's lump in desire, commitment etc.

An easy comparison is Yaya. Yes he is more eye-catching than Milner, he has more ability on the ball, he has pace, power etc.

Milner, on the other hand, gives his all every game. Over a season that is invaluable.

I have lost sense in this reply. Cos I know you like Milner. It isn't an attack, I just want to clarify his effectiveness. His worth.

Fucking post is redundant.

Everyone I ever speak to who goes to the games raves about Silva, and quite rightly so. The point I'm making is that I hear far bigger cheers when Milner's name is mentioned on the Tannoy. I hear far more chants for Milner at the Etihad than I hear for Silva.

I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, what I'm saying is, the idea that Milner is an unsung hero is just absolute bollocks. He's probably the most popular player at the club among home fans.

It's a trend with City fans to love the workhorse over the magician, like I say I remember it starting in the Dickov era. Far more talented players like Berkovic and Bernarbia got nowhere near the level of adulation from fans as Dickov, because of the workrate.

You couldn't imagine Darren Fletcher getting the same praise as Paul Scholes, or Ray Parlour getting a louder cheer than Denis Bergkamp. It's something that City fans have done with Dickov, Bellamy and Milner, they are the most popular player's at the club because of their work rate. The trend probably started out of desperation when we were in the third tier and desperate.

Put it this way, I couldn't imagine any other top 6 club if they had our incredible squad of players where Milner would be the most popular player among home fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.