Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

Re: James Milner - Striker

Shaelumstash said:
Everyone I ever speak to who goes to the games raves about Silva, and quite rightly so. The point I'm making is that I hear far bigger cheers when Milner's name is mentioned on the Tannoy. I hear far more chants for Milner at the Etihad than I hear for Silva.

I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, what I'm saying is, the idea that Milner is an unsung hero is just absolute bollocks. He's probably the most popular player at the club among home fans.

It's a trend with City fans to love the workhorse over the magician, like I say I remember it starting in the Dickov era. Far more talented players like Berkovic and Bernarbia got nowhere near the level of adulation from fans as Dickov, because of the workrate.

You couldn't imagine Darren Fletcher getting the same praise as Paul Scholes, or Ray Parlour getting a louder cheer than Denis Bergkamp. It's something that City fans have done with Dickov, Bellamy and Milner, they are the most popular player's at the club because of their work rate. The trend probably started out of desperation when we were in the third tier and desperate.

Put it this way, I couldn't imagine any other top 6 club if they had our incredible squad of players where Milner would be the most popular player among home fans.

Yep, completely agreeable. Just the last bit I struggle with slightly. It is obvious to see he isn't the most gifted. I actually liken him to Navas. They don't do what Silva does, Yaya, Nasri.... but they both give their all. They both perform to the best of their abilities.

I don't understand your last sentence :/ It's a human nature quality. As a fan, to back the trier, to empathize with the (as it were) underdog. I am not saying he isn't replaceable. But I prefer to think, and I hope rightly, that the fans see the value in his utility and his performances.

Incidentally, I don't think Milner is the most popular player. I think it's Zabaleta. But they are similar players. Hence my point about fans backing the workhorse.

TangerineSteve17 said:
Shaelumstash said:
Everyone I ever speak to who goes to the games raves about Silva, and quite rightly so. The point I'm making is that I hear far bigger cheers when Milner's name is mentioned on the Tannoy. I hear far more chants for Milner at the Etihad than I hear for Silva.

I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, what I'm saying is, the idea that Milner is an unsung hero is just absolute bollocks. He's probably the most popular player at the club among home fans.

It's a trend with City fans to love the workhorse over the magician, like I say I remember it starting in the Dickov era. Far more talented players like Berkovic and Bernarbia got nowhere near the level of adulation from fans as Dickov, because of the workrate.

You couldn't imagine Darren Fletcher getting the same praise as Paul Scholes, or Ray Parlour getting a louder cheer than Denis Bergkamp. It's something that City fans have done with Dickov, Bellamy and Milner, they are the most popular player's at the club because of their work rate. The trend probably started out of desperation when we were in the third tier and desperate.

Put it this way, I couldn't imagine any other top 6 club if they had our incredible squad of players where Milner would be the most popular player among home fans.

Yep, completely agreeable. Just the last bit I struggle with slightly. It is obvious to see he isn't the most gifted. I actually liken him to Navas. They don't do what Silva does, Yaya, Nasri.... but they both give their all. They both perform to the best of their abilities.

I don't understand your last sentence :/ It's a human nature quality. As a fan, to back the trier, to empathize with the (as it were) underdog. I am not saying he isn't replaceable. But I prefer to think, and I hope rightly, that the fans see the value in his utility and his performances.

Incidentally, I don't think Milner is the most popular player. I think it's Zabaleta. But they are similar players. Hence my point about fans backing the workhorse.

I totally agree with you about people love rooting for the underdog / the trier. I think it's a British cultural thing though. I don't think the Italians or the Germans cheer for the trier ahead of the gifted genius. As someone else pointed out earlier, maybe that's one of the reasons why England are so shite at national level? We look at the game in the wrong way.

I also agree about Zabba, he's idolised by the fans, and rightly so. But I think Milner is overtaking him in home fans affections this season. We played absolutely wonderfully for 45 minutes against Sunderland, Lampard could have had a hat trick, his movement and technique in striking the ball were incredible, Yaya ran the show, Fernandinho played well, Silva while not at his best still played some astonishing through balls, DeMichelis was superb, Clichy had arguably his best game in a City shirt, yet the first chant for a player was when Milner came on, chased a lost cause in the the corner, then miscontrolled it out for a goal kick.

Personally I don't think fans of the shite, or Arsenal or Liverpool, or Barca or Bayern for that matter would hold Milner in the same regard that City fans do. They are used to seeing world class players over many years, so while they appreciate hard work, they probably realise that quality and technique and composure are the qualities that win you trophies ahead of graft.

I'm not criticising Milner, personally I just find it baffling that he is more idolised by our fans than some of our other players who I personally hold in higher esteem, such as Silva and Aguero.

I wonder if the chants are trying to influence him to tell his adviser to stop messing about with his new contract and just put pen to paper

Hopefully bullshit, but could well be off to Dipperpool.

Barcon said:
Maly Wilson said:
Hopefully bullshit, but could well be off to Dipperpool.

Where did you get that from?

From an ex-copper. Don't want to say where he heard it from as it wouldn't be fair on them.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did end up at Liverpool.

Mignolet
Toure Skirtel Lovern
Delph Henderson Milner
Lallana Berahino Sturridge Sterling

Europe watch out.

Shaelumstash said:
TangerineSteve17 said:
Shaelumstash said:

I totally agree with you about people love rooting for the underdog / the trier. I think it's a British cultural thing though. I don't think the Italians or the Germans cheer for the trier ahead of the gifted genius. As someone else pointed out earlier, maybe that's one of the reasons why England are so shite at national level? We look at the game in the wrong way.

I also agree about Zabba, he's idolised by the fans, and rightly so. But I think Milner is overtaking him in home fans affections this season. We played absolutely wonderfully for 45 minutes against Sunderland, Lampard could have had a hat trick, his movement and technique in striking the ball were incredible, Yaya ran the show, Fernandinho played well, Silva while not at his best still played some astonishing through balls, DeMichelis was superb, Clichy had arguably his best game in a City shirt, yet the first chant for a player was when Milner came on, chased a lost cause in the the corner, then miscontrolled it out for a goal kick.

Personally I don't think fans of the shite, or Arsenal or Liverpool, or Barca or Bayern for that matter would hold Milner in the same regard that City fans do. They are used to seeing world class players over many years, so while they appreciate hard work, they probably realise that quality and technique and composure are the qualities that win you trophies ahead of graft.

I'm not criticising Milner, personally I just find it baffling that he is more idolised by our fans than some of our other players who I personally hold in higher esteem, such as Silva and Aguero.

:) nice post, but again, I don't see what is baffling about the fans idolizing the ultimate grafter over the wizard.

Fans want to be in touch with the football team they support. Milner and Zaba represent their love for the team. They do their utmost (as we would as fans) on the pitch to ensure victory. Regardless of goal scoring/assists, they do what what we would do. Again they're aren't the best footballers, but they are the most devoted.

City are a fantastic team these days, and full of winners too. Yet we aren't the best in the world and even now some players let their head drop/give in/give up. I have never seen Milner do that. I have never seen Zaba do that. Actually, Kompany too, and Dickov and others... That a reason why they receive such adulation.

Is that so strange? They will chase lost causes, commit to tackles, stretch every sinew. It's a natural thing to admire these types of players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.