Player thread: James Milner (2014/15)

Blue warrior said:
whp.blue said:
How misleading.

it what way is it misleading?

He cost 16m in essence as Ireland was bit part player if that.[/quote]
Sorry, but this is just revisionist history. Ireland was no bit part. He was a legitimate 8 million dollar player. So yes, he cost us about 24 million.

Dax777 said:
Blue warrior said:
whp.blue said:
How misleading.

it what way is it misleading?

He cost 16m in essence as Ireland was bit part player if that.
Sorry, but this is just revisionist history. Ireland was no bit part. He was a legitimate 8 million dollar player. So yes, he cost us about 24 million.[/quote]

He was not not really catching our side after one standout season so did end up a bit part player. We never physically shelled out 24 big ones on Milner. We put a player in the deal who had no real value to the team and whacked 8 m on his head. That's my view skippy.

Blue warrior said:
He was not not really catching our side after one standout season so did end up a bit part player. We never physically shelled out 24 big ones on Milner. We put a player in the deal who had no real value to the team and whacked 8 m on his head. That's my view skippy.

Tbh, whether Milner cost 14 or 24 million is largely irrelevant. The point is we'll get nothing for him, and he would have with a few years left on his contract, quite a sizeable value (certainly close to 20 million pounds). So from an FFP point of view it's quite a loss if he walks on a free.

Mister Appointment said:
Blue warrior said:

Tbh, whether Milner cost 14 or 24 million is largely irrelevant. The point is we'll get nothing for him, and he would have with a few years left on his contract, quite a sizeable value (certainly close to 20 million pounds). So from an FFP point of view it's quite a loss if he walks on a free.

He's worked a nice position for himself, like you say losing money on a player is never good especially in times of ffp.

Sergio Picasso Aguero said:
So James Milner is off in the Summer? Is that such a bad thing?

You want to know why we have been signing average players like Fernando and Navas lately. It's because most City fans worship mediocre players like Milner because he runs about a lot. City fans set the bar so low they would probably rather have Milner at the club then Messi. People always say he's so underrated when it's actually the complete opposite. He is so average that when he finally has an above average game people go over board with the praise because they know they won't have a chance to heap lots of praise on him for a long time. Let's forget about all of the other games when he does fuck all, they are not important. Whereas a player like Navas who is probably on the same level as Milner, has just as much work rate if not more will get slagged off for every bad game he has and when he has a good game like Chelsea away or Leicester at home people just completely ignore it. Everyone always says how versatile he is and he can play so many positions, well that is just BS because when he played up front he missed chance after chance and whenever he has played in central midfield he has been awful. And for people who say he is scoring goals now, he has 2 goals in his last 52 league appearances, whoop-de-fucking-doo. Add to the fact that he will be 30 next season which is when players are usually in decline. And add to the fact that he supposedly wants 120k per week when we are are trying to reduce the wagebill in the FFP era. And if his demands are that he wants to be guaranteed a starting role in a team that includes players like Aguero, Fernandinho, Silva, Yaya, Nasri and a team that will in all likely hood be massively reinforcing their squad in the summer then I would say he needs to have a reality check and realise that he is an average player with limited skill who doesn't score many goals and who will soon be past his best.

City fans need to ask themselves if Milner leaving is really such a bad thing or do we maybe need to set the bar a bit higher than players who "put a shift in" and "fill the English quota" and start investing in world class talent which will actually take us to the next level (Champions League glory) and stop crying over the departure of James fucking Milner of all people.

Is that why we bought another striker we didnt need ?

actually I agree with you about Milner, runs about a lot, no real skill, runs about a lot and has a steel face

nimrod said:

You want to know why we have been signing average players like Fernando and Navas lately. It's because most City fans worship mediocre players like Milner because he runs about a lot. City fans set the bar so low they would probably rather have Milner at the club then Messi. People always say he's so underrated when it's actually the complete opposite. He is so average that when he finally has an above average game people go over board with the praise because they know they won't have a chance to heap lots of praise on him for a long time. Let's forget about all of the other games when he does fuck all, they are not important. Whereas a player like Navas who is probably on the same level as Milner, has just as much work rate if not more will get slagged off for every bad game he has and when he has a good game like Chelsea away or Leicester at home people just completely ignore it. Everyone always says how versatile he is and he can play so many positions, well that is just BS because when he played up front he missed chance after chance and whenever he has played in central midfield he has been awful. And for people who say he is scoring goals now, he has 2 goals in his last 52 league appearances, whoop-de-fucking-doo. Add to the fact that he will be 30 next season which is when players are usually in decline. And add to the fact that he supposedly wants 120k per week when we are are trying to reduce the wagebill in the FFP era. And if his demands are that he wants to be guaranteed a starting role in a team that includes players like Aguero, Fernandinho, Silva, Yaya, Nasri and a team that will in all likely hood be massively reinforcing their squad in the summer then I would say he needs to have a reality check and realise that he is an average player with limited skill who doesn't score many goals and who will soon be past his best.

City fans need to ask themselves if Milner leaving is really such a bad thing or do we maybe need to set the bar a bit higher than players who "put a shift in" and "fill the English quota" and start investing in world class talent which will actually take us to the next level (Champions League glory) and stop crying over the departure of James fucking Milner of all people.

Is that why we bought another striker we didnt need ?

actually I agree with you about Milner, runs about a lot, no real skill, runs about a lot and has a steel face

On this particular ship of fools, that has to be the dumbest comment i've read. BM really is full of d**kheads these days.

Are you banned from your own clubs forum?

It'll be a blow to lose Milner, especially on a free transfer. He's been a good servant for the club, and we can ill afford to lose home grown players.

Looks like he's off though, as is his right having served his contract. He doesn't owe us anything. Still not convinced he'll get more first team opportunities at Liverpool though, assuming that's where he's heading.

Ric said:
It'll be a blow to lose Milner, especially on a free transfer. He's been a good servant for the club, and we can ill afford to lose home grown players.

Looks like he's off though, as is his right having served his contract. He doesn't owe us anything. Still not convinced he'll get more first team opportunities at Liverpool though, assuming that's where he's heading.

I have no real issue with players leaving when they have seen their contract out as much as we could do with the FFP contribution but it's the bullshit that pisses me off. If when City sat down and tried to extend his contract he had been honest and said I will be leaving at the end of my current contract The club may have made different decisions.
Milner however took the cowards (City's Sol Campbell) approach and has strung the club along. He at least owed City a straight answer.

As for loosing him as a player he is no great loss a modern day Stevie Lomas but for some reason half this forum seem to think he is some sort of utility playing God when really he is a modest Jack of all trades and master of none.

I posted on here ages ago that I was told he had no intention of staying and I for one think we will no only replace him in a heart beat but make a huge upgrade.

u2fme2 said:
Past experience tells me if a player not signed this late
into his final year it means there off to
pastors new. which in this case is a shame.
Wow, he's only got 3 or 4 months left and you're predicting he's going to leave...

Do you have Saturday's Lotto numbers while you're hear Gypsy Rose?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.