Player Thread: Patrick Roberts

What's the crack with him, has he been out of favour or recovering from injury?

He got injured and the person who replaced him, Forrest, played well (4 goals 3 assists in 11 games so far) so he's having a job getting his shirt back. Sounds like Celtic fans are a bit frustrated by a lack of end product from Roberts, but not playing him won't help.

New manager was always going to favour building his own team and securing his position over developing someone for us. Celtic will probably go 10 points lear today, which is testimony to how easy the domestic league is, and it's hard to see Roberts getting any significant game time in the remaining CL matches.

If Roberts fails to break into the starting eleven in the coming weeks, when Celtic have more fixtures, I fail to see the value of his remaining in Glasgow.
He'll have a month of in January, for the reinstated winter break, which means he is unlikely to gain any momentum. Assuming Celtic fail to reach the UEFA league, he will then have, at best, some playing time in meaningless fixtures in an already won league. Will he have learned anything from that?

As soon as Deila was shown the door, which was long under consideration at Celtic Park, much of the above could have been foreseen, which makes me wonder why we never had some form of escape clause inserted in his contract.

A word that I hear all too often in connection with loanees is 'frustrating'. Perhaps we need to reappraise what we expect from loan spells and measure whether players who remain develop any less than those who depart.

Surprised to be honest Rodgers hasn't played him more. Its been mentioned repeatedly on here our owners rate him, you'd think his ego would love the idea of being able to say "I made Patrick the character he is today, and I can make the rest of your squad play with spirit and with character". Guess I've somewhat misjudged his opportunistic nature.

New manager was always going to favour building his own team and securing his position over developing someone for us. Celtic will probably go 10 points lear today, which is testimony to how easy the domestic league is, and it's hard to see Roberts getting any significant game time in the remaining CL matches.

If Roberts fails to break into the starting eleven in the coming weeks, when Celtic have more fixtures, I fail to see the value of his remaining in Glasgow.
He'll have a month of in January, for the reinstated winter break, which means he is unlikely to gain any momentum. Assuming Celtic fail to reach the UEFA league, he will then have, at best, some playing time in meaningless fixtures in an already won league. Will he have learned anything from that?

As soon as Deila was shown the door, which was long under consideration at Celtic Park, much of the above could have been foreseen, which makes me wonder why we never had some form of escape clause inserted in his contract.

A word that I hear all too often in connection with loanees is 'frustrating'. Perhaps we need to reappraise what we expect from loan spells and measure whether players who remain develop any less than those who depart.
He played plenty last season (he only joined in February) which doesn't jibe with Rodgers wanting to build his own team really.

He played plenty last season (he only joined in February) which doesn't jibe with Rodgers wanting to build his own team really.

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'jibe'. Rodgers only became manager in the summer.

My point is that we had a relationship with Deila, and him with us. The moment that relationship ended and Rodgers became manager, the prospects of Roberts playing more diminished. Much will be made of his injury, but he was already heading to the fringes of the team before that.

I can understand Rodgers playing him less, but what I cannot understand is why we don't have a plan B for such eventualities.

Had a good game against a German team midweek and played the full 90 yesterday. Hopefully he'll be a good option for us for the bench next season.

Patrick Roberts (on loan at Celtic) on making it at Manchester City: "I have never resigned myself to not making it there. I never give up."

Patrick Roberts: "I never give up. I’ll go back there (City) and show them what I can do. That’s the kind of person I am."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.