Player Topic: Aleks Kolarov 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meanwhile on the other flank Zaba was diving in like a madman every 5 minutes and did actually cost us a goal.

The desire of some on this forum to blame Kolarov for everything is getting silly, he's even being blamed for Sterling's loss of confidence/form by actually doing his job as an overlapping full back.

Zabaleta gets the benefit of the doubt given it was his first game back after a long lay off, and he's long proven himself both defensively solid and a threat going forward.

Kolarov is a liability defensively, and always has been. These are long standing flaws that have cost us in the past, and will cost us in the future.

There were glimpses of it throughout our strong spell even, we were just lucky it didn't cost us.

In recent weeks it's began to cost us once more.

Kolarov never gets tight to his man, he can't, because 9 times out of ten it leads to him getting spun and the wide player running into the 18 yard box or playing a square ball for a tap in - just like Spurs' 4th goal last weekend.

So he just stands off his man, and lets them whip it in every time. Take Juve's disallowed goal as an example.

It's no coincidence that most teams attack down our left, it's clearly been indentified as a weak spot, and that's because it is.

He's poor positionally as well, take the goal midweek in Germany for example. He doesn't have the very most basics of defending as a fullback.

Kolarov's contributions going forward will never gloss over his absolutely atrocious defending. Never.

Our problem though is that Clichy, while the much more competent defender, is shite going forward.

Left back is a weak link for us. Defensively, Kolarov is a complete liability as far as I'm concerned.

The club obvious think highly of Kolorav or they wouldn't have signed him to a new 4 year contract. But yes, tracking back, he does lose his man more often than not. But obviously, the club value THAT left foot and his ability to push the ball up the left side. Any back n the Academy might give him a run for his money? Angelino isn't going to replace the somebody on my MLS side much less City.

Wonder what Angelino is up to in NYC. Hopefully, he's developing properly because I think he's the perfect guy to give Kolarov a breather and eventually take over. Angelino has class potential IMO, hopefully he's tapping into that stateside.

Wonder what Angelino is up to in NYC. Hopefully, he's developing properly because I think he's the perfect guy to give Kolarov a breather and eventually take over. Angelino has class potential IMO, hopefully he's tapping into that stateside.
He isn't learning sh-t at that club. I understand they want to acclimate prospects to a long hardened schedule but they are better doing it with an established MLS club. If it was the Galaxy or even the Red Bulls, the coaching infastructure and overall level of play at those clubs is much better. But our owner wants to build a brand I understand that.

He isn't learning sh-t at that club. I understand they want to acclimate prospects to a long hardened schedule but they are better doing it with an established MLS club. If it was the Galaxy or even the Red Bulls, the coaching infastructure and overall level of play at those clubs is much better. But our owner wants to build a brand I understand that.

I think NYCFC will be a great loan destination in the future, but right now the club seems a bit of a shambles. They brought in the likes of Lampard and Pirlo as designated players to raise the profile, which obviously is a key part of establishing a new club, but they need players like Giovinco - decent European players who aren't 35.

Angelino seems to be impressing going forward in spurts, but a complete liability going backwards, but because the entire defence is an embarrassment it's hard to pin point exactly how bad he's been defensively.

He will have picked up valuable experience playing professional football every week, but I think it would be a better idea to see him get a domestic loan in January or next season.

Nowhere near ready to put pressure on Kolarov.

Zabaleta gets the benefit of the doubt given it was his first game back after a long lay off, and he's long proven himself both defensively solid and a threat going forward.

Kolarov is a liability defensively, and always has been. These are long standing flaws that have cost us in the past, and will cost us in the future.

There were glimpses of it throughout our strong spell even, we were just lucky it didn't cost us.

Kolarov never gets tight to his man, he can't, because 9 times out of ten it leads to him getting spun and the wide player running into the 18 yard box or playing a square ball for a tap in - just like Spurs' 4th goal last weekend.

So he just stands off his man, and lets them whip it in every time. Take Juve's disallowed goal as an example.

It's no coincidence that most teams attack down our left, it's clearly been indentified as a weak spot, and that's because it is.

He's poor positionally as well, take the goal midweek in Germany for example. He doesn't have the very most basics of defending as a fullback.

Kolarov's contributions going forward will never gloss over his absolutely atrocious defending. Never.

Our problem though is that Clichy, while the much more competent defender, is shite going forward.

Left back is a weak link for us. Defensively, Kolarov is a complete liability as far as I'm concerned.
Great post. I think a left back, a central midfielder and a top class striker to provide competition for Sergio will be our 3 primary areas to address in January or next summer.

Yesterday I moved from my usual spot in tier 2 - to sit with some friends - and I was able to see close up Kolarov (row J on tier 1, so quite close to pitch side) and two things struck me. Firstly he was visibly upset when De Bryune took the freekick that should have led to an early goal for Fernando, so much so he was moaning about it for about 5 mins. Secondly when Sergio took a shot instead of passing to him he started an argument with Kun that went on for far too long. When Kun scored he brushed off Kolarov in celebration he was that incensed. I am glad that Sergio is confident enough to stand up to him, and I suspect that Sterling as a young player trying to find his way will be intimidated by our Serbian hard man! He needs to concentrate on his own job. Primarily stopping the endless stream of crosses flashing across from his side. Sissoko like many players this season, was allowed two metres space in which to put in cross after cross and Kolarov needs to get closer to his man to stop this from happening.

Those who will look at my previous posts will know I'm not a big fan - as I believe he is a glaring weakness in our team. I held my hands up when for four or five games he was excellent and I really was hopeful he'd turned into the player I thought he would be when we first got him. But, he is back to his 'strutting like a peacock, lazy attitude' best perfectly summed up when he took a free kick near the end of the game and almost handed a simple chance to an opposition destroyed by a player who he was critical of for taking an early shot - the very trademark that makes Sergio one of the best in the world. The sooner he has some competition for his place the better.

How on earth did we manage 6 straight clean sheets in the PL with such a liability in the back four?

I also LOL'd at "Clichy.. the much more competent defender", that's definitely gilding the lily given some of his dire performances last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.