Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say he's been poor for us is just plain wrong in my opinion. Fair enough he's had some dodgy moments but he's also had his fair share of quality moments too.

I'd say overall he's been a 6/10 player so far, wasn't expecting anything more from his first season with us tbh.

His dips in form and mistakes seem to happen in the games where we're expected to win whilst his impressive performances have been against the tough, better quality teams.
That tells me he just needs to work on his focus/concentration a bit more because his attributes are all there to see. He's not the only guilty player of that either, I think it's noticable how our overall game this season hasn't been at full throttle against so called smaller clubs.
The boy will come good in time.

Re: Mangala

Ballymagash Blue said:
whicko said:
FantasyIreland said:
Considering the backline in which he was employed was alien to each other,add the fact one of them was kolarov......and I think he did a fine job,again.

Mangala is another player with a great attitude and appetite,we cant have enough of those.
Match of the day highlighting Mangala out of position for the first goal today, utter bollocks the fact Kolarov had gone walk about upfield and made no attempt to get back leaving Mangala totally exposed wide out had fuck all to do with it then!!

You're joking, right. Mangala has no problem if he sees what's going on. That goal was another example of his lack of awareness of what's going on around him.

Objective observers can see this guy's weaknesses. it doesn't mean he won't improve or that he's a waste of money. Just that he's some way to go before he's a top class centre half

yes he can and will imp;rove, he is an international, also all the goals we concede usually come from our left hand side being at the wrong end of the pitch

If we had brought in him for less than £15M, the thread wouldn't be such a battle pit.
Now, his price tag makes it a controversial matter.
Sure, the lad has tremendous traits to maybe become a dominant world-class CB in the future, but the mere fact that the other way around could also happen, makes this hole investment based on potential very risky financially.

I am not witting Mangala off since he is only 24, barring the likes of Maldini or Ramos, CBs tends to peak in their late 20s, that's plenty of time for him to become the world beater we have paid for.

ZZmaestro said:
If we had brought in him for less than £15M, the thread wouldn't be such a battle pit.
Sure, the lad has tremendous traits to maybe become a dominant world-class CB in the future, but the mere fact that the other way around could also happen, makes this hole investment based on potential very risky financially.

I am not witting Mangala off since he is only 24, barring the likes of Maldini or Ramos, CBs tends to peak in their late 20s, that's plenty of time for him to become the world beater we have paid for.

He certainly hasn't reached his peak and will not for a few years. But he's not far off the age where, if he is to become a world beater CB, then that will be apparent and unarguable.

To draw a comparison with an undisputable world beater, Vincent Kompany, he's now at the age that VK was in March 2010. Mangala has played 205 first team games for 3 pro clubs. At the same age VK had played about 240 games. VK also had greater PL experience by then albeit mainly in midfield. Quite clearly VK wasnt anywhere near his peak in March 2010. He probably achieved world class the following season. But he was still consistently a damned fine player. I would say appreciably better than Mangala currently is.

Its impossible to judge now just how good Managala can become. It really depends on whether he can cut out the errors. Most centre backs reduce their error count and become more consistent with age. But some dont, they just remain prone to errors. That's where the risk lies with Mangala. He might always be a David Luiz type player, great on his day, shocking on other days. Or he might become a genuine world beater. Next season we should have a much better idea.

Wio Gumflapdinand said:
grim up north said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
All those players that took time to settle Komps, Silva, Demi etc. they were having the same problem as most foreign players did when coming to English football, that they needed time to adjust to the speed and physicality of the league but you could see they had great technical skills. Where as Mangala is the opposite, and I don't think you can teach composure, awareness or instinctive passing or ball control at this stage in his career. If he's not got it now he never will. Micah never could and neither will Mangala, he's a good physical pacy defender but don't expect him to ever lead a backline....that would be a horror show.
As for Nastasic, if he gets playing consistenGB13938276tly again he'll be a top drawer intelligent Demi type player in a few year, and you can save this and quote me on it in a couple of years

Hilarious
Explain what part is so hilarious it's making your sides split. Point it out and back up your argument against rather than just one word

Your second sentence onwards is hilarious no need to back up with an argument

grim up north said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
grim up north said:
Hilarious
Explain what part is so hilarious it's making your sides split. Point it out and back up your argument against rather than just one word

Your second sentence onwards is hilarious no need to back up with an argument
Well then we should have kept Richards and thought him positional sense awareness and technical skills as he'd be a great player if he had these attributes. We should forget about dreaming of signing Messi and just buy Aaron Lennon and teach him to be technically gifted and aware...couple of months on training pitch should put him right. It's clear Mangala lacks these attributes, he's a good physical defender and those should never cost more than €20,000,000

ZZmaestro said:

Folks keep saying he'd become a world beater. Fine! I pray he does, but for 32 mil, you should not be buying future potential. Rather you should be buying a ready made Super Star. Potential, you pay 12 million for and hope he puts a all the raw skills together and one day in the near future become a rock. But 32 million for potential? That's just poor front office work.

This 32m figure is a myth, an accounting procedure designed for Porto to receive a higher proportion of the combined fee for two players. Porto owned more of Eli's contract than Fernando's. They therefore received more of the total fund when the accountants 'dropped' fern's fee and increased eli's.

Even if that were not the case I do not understand why many on here are bothered by the fee. We are on a sound financial footing and investing all over the club. The fee for one particular player is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things as long as the entire club operates soundly..

He looks a good prospect to me and has already had some superb games. Getting used to a new league, country and culture does take time; have we not learned that over the last few years with most of our new players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.