Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nimrod said:
Thenumber1blue said:
crmcfc said:
I posted on here that I did not rate him when we signed him and got loads of abuse, I made the point that he was not a good player just because we paid silly money for him, again I got hammered.

His is performing for us exactly how he performed for Porto so I do wonder what our obsession with him was and what scouting went on.

That said with his age we might make a player of him but its difficult to learn your trade in the glare of the PL.
I don't really get what point you are trying to make and what Mangala has done wrong.A young lad in a whole new life,who so far after a handful of games,has been outstanding at times and dodgy at times.£32 million is fuck all in football amongst the top teams nowadays .

I'll suggest 2 things, 1) Give new signings time. 2) Don't believe negative bullshit in the papers,especially about our signings !

Is he really that much better prospect that Nastasic? who we just kicked out for free

No he is not any better a prospect than Nastasic.

Wio Gumflapdinand said:
lasereyes said:
cibaman said:
At the moment both extremes of view, total wank or eventually one of the world's finest, seem hard to justify.

He is neither, but that's not the point. The valid question being asked is being cash strapped, did we spend 32 mill (or whatever the fee actually was) wisely? It is of course too early to say. The key is going to be how coachable this lad is. It's a bit concerning that he was making the same mistakes at Porto last year.
All those players that took time to settle Komps, Silva, Demi etc. they were having the same problem as most foreign players did when coming to English football, that they needed time to adjust to the speed and physicality of the league but you could see they had great technical skills. Where as Mangala is the opposite, and I don't think you can teach composure, awareness or instinctive passing or ball control at this stage in his career. If he's not got it now he never will. Micah never could and neither will Mangala, he's a good physical pacy defender but don't expect him to ever lead a backline....that would be a horror show.
As for Nastasic, if he gets playing consistently again he'll be a top drawer intelligent Demi type player in a few year, and you can save this and quote me on it in a couple of years

Hilarious

mosssideblue said:
What an awful lot of negativity on here for a guy who has had a handful of games for us. I think when a new player joins us releases a trigger for all the moaners to come out to play.

Wasn't that long ago many on here were complaining about the fee we paid for Dihno (look back if you don't believe me) and now he is perceived as one of our best.

You are basically chastising our full scouting network, as they gave the nod and agreed the price. I would rather have faith in the pros who scout for a living than a few moaners on here who think we are wasting money.

Eli wants to, and will learn to be one our best also. Cut him some slack and afford him that space.

Dread to think the slating Bony will get if he doesn't knock in two a game minimum. Not long now lads, sharpen your pencils ready.

At the moment fans are entitled to say he has been poor because he has been. He gets good support in the stadium in terms of no one has been on his back and nor should they be, so he is getting cut some slack unless he spends his nights on here!!

As for Fernandinho one of our best, are you sure?

grim up north said:
Wio Gumflapdinand said:
lasereyes said:
He is neither, but that's not the point. The valid question being asked is being cash strapped, did we spend 32 mill (or whatever the fee actually was) wisely? It is of course too early to say. The key is going to be how coachable this lad is. It's a bit concerning that he was making the same mistakes at Porto last year.
All those players that took time to settle Komps, Silva, Demi etc. they were having the same problem as most foreign players did when coming to English football, that they needed time to adjust to the speed and physicality of the league but you could see they had great technical skills. Where as Mangala is the opposite, and I don't think you can teach composure, awareness or instinctive passing or ball control at this stage in his career. If he's not got it now he never will. Micah never could and neither will Mangala, he's a good physical pacy defender but don't expect him to ever lead a backline....that would be a horror show.
As for Nastasic, if he gets playing consistently again he'll be a top drawer intelligent Demi type player in a few year, and you can save this and quote me on it in a couple of years

Hilarious
Explain what part is so hilarious it's making your sides split. Point it out and back up your argument against rather than just one word

I've said it many times,Mangala has the lot,in buckets.....the only problems he has are inexperience and an overenthusiasm which is causing him the occasional mishap.

The positives with this lad far out weigh the negatives,although for some bizarre reason,some wish to focus and exaggerate the latter.

Top class.

FantasyIreland said:
I've said it many times,Mangala has the lot,in buckets.....the only problems he has are inexperience and an overenthusiasm which is causing him the occasional mishap.

The positives with this lad far out weigh the negatives,although for some bizarre reason,some wish to focus and exaggerate the latter.

Top class.
The positives are mainly to do with potential i.e. the future

The negatives are mainly to do with decisions and actions he takes in games occurring now, this season, hence they're the main focus.

Again, I don't doubt he will be a world beater. He'll be our CB for years to come and a brick wall I'm sure of it. However, that won't stop me calling it like it is after his most recent and only relevant performance.

As bad as some are with not letting his mistakes go others are equally as bad when they ignore them and big up his potential.

If he has a poor game, he has just that. Previous form and potential are irrelevant.

Conversely, if he has a good game that should be acknowledged and praised. Previous mistakes are then irrelevant.

For example;

Defending the Hull performance because of his performance against Chelsea is wrong. He had a bad game at Hull, fact. I won't shy from saying that when that happens but that doesn't mean I don't rate him.

Then say it was the reverse, saying that the Chelsea performance was good but that doesn't make up for his game at Hull is just as wrong.

FantasyIreland said:

Top class.

I don't think he has the lot. I think physically he is probably the perfect mould for a world class CB but so far he has shown a shocking lack of intelligence on the football pitch and doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. A good CB adapts during the game so if a striker does them once they will learn from that and make sure it doesn't happen again during that match but Mangala keeps getting done by strikers doing the same tricks. The question is can he improve on this if yes then we have a player on our hands but not every player is capable of learning just look at Richards who had the lot physically but was brain dead on the pitch. Personally I thought Nasty was worth sticking with as he showed he had the intelligence to be a CB and the weaknesses in his game could have been solved by him hitting the gym but we decided to spend the money on Mangala and we need to stick with him and hope he becomes the player they think he can be.

Why did, I'll apologise if it's already been mentioned, I've not had the chance to visit the forum recently and it might have been broached and I'm not going to re visit previous posts, so there, take it or leave it but why was Mangala booked for a foul on Lukaku when all he did was match Lukaka for pace, power and fairness in challenging for the ball concedes a corner and lo and behold he's booked for a foul that didn't occur.

Mangala is absolute quality. He cost a fair sum but why wouldn't he? He's a precise, strong and angry defender. The nay saying know noughts highlight his occasional discrepancies because they are jealous how good he is for Man City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.