Player topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2014/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
pudge said:
city91 said:
He's an easy target for people to slate due to his transfer fee.

After a shaky start to the season I would go as far as saying he has been our best CB this season. It's no coincidence that our best spells of the season have all come with him in the side. He has everything in his locker to be the best CB in the PL, if not Europe. He's fast, strong, can play a pass and is developing a good reading of the game.

However, that won't stop the media and the pundits from giving him unnecessary stick.

Fernando lost his man at a corner and Mangala gets blamed. A mix up in communication between Manga and Hart which leads to Eli putting the ball in row z and he gets blamed. Demichellis plays Kane onside and Manga gets blamed.
I highly doubt anyone has blamed Mangala for the occasion when Dier had a free header after Fernandinho lost him at a corner. Perhaps he has been criticized for losing track of his man, Fazio, at a subsequent corner with similar poor marking.

As for the occasion when Hart called for the ball, that was simply poor play from Mangala; poor communication and it general poor play taking the ball towards his own goal.

Also, again, I highly doubt anyone has criticized Mangala for Demichelis' poor play in the lead up to Kane's one on one with Hart. I suggest that's just hyperbole; shockingly it goes both ways in this thread.

I am in no doubt that Mangala will be a fantastic player for us, however, I don't feel the need nor insecurity to constantly say that like so many others. If he has a poor game, I'll say so; that's not a comment on him generally as a player it's always regarding his performance. If he has a good game, I'll say so; that doesn't mean I think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

He had a decent game overall yesterday, shaky first half for the most part and a solid second half. I don't feel the need to say "Demichelis was worse/He's playing next to Kolarov and has no support" every time after a game whenever someone doesn't agree with them. I don't have an opinion on him based on what a newspaper says, I can think he plays poorly and well without it having to be influenced by an article written 6-8 months ago.

This thread is filled with more comments from people who slag off other defenders and players to almost excuse any small mistake from Mangala. As well as numerous people slagging off other posters and dismissing their opinion because The Sun once printed a negative story about him so that's why any negative comment on here is based; "Idiots on here writing him off because of what the media says" etc, not true in the slightest or at all relevant at this stage but it makes people seem bluer than blue.

He's a good player, potentially great, who can have a bad game/moment like anyone else. Both sides going to needless extremes reeks of sensitivity and insecurity. Next week if he plays well the first post will no doubt be "where are all those who wrote him off?" or if he plays poorly "Where are all his supporters now?" Give it a rest and stop being so touchy.

MOTD said that it was poor play from Mangala for not covering Dier and 5 live said the same.

Mangala did 100% the right thing during the mix up with Hart. If you are not sure then you get rid. Poor communication happens between two players not one. It could have easily have been another Nastasic/Hart mix up if he did not take control.

And of course people have a right to criticise players but at least be consistent with the criticisms and give praise where its due. Mangala has been far more impressive than worse this season as the stats show.

Finally, people are bound to compare performances between players. That's why we have a competitive squad. People are always going to judge Eli's performances to Kompany's and Demi's. That's the way it goes.

Those arseholes on soccer Saturday the week before last savaged mangala to the point. Where they actually taking the piss out of the lad, Nicholas saying 32 mill I wouldn't pay 32 quid, stelling merson and Thompson joined in really what I thought was going over the top, I can see something in the lad but he always looks like he's facing a firing squad you know the same look on boyatas face, where MD looks like he hasn't got a care in the world?

city91 said:
pudge said:
city91 said:
He's an easy target for people to slate due to his transfer fee.

After a shaky start to the season I would go as far as saying he has been our best CB this season. It's no coincidence that our best spells of the season have all come with him in the side. He has everything in his locker to be the best CB in the PL, if not Europe. He's fast, strong, can play a pass and is developing a good reading of the game.

However, that won't stop the media and the pundits from giving him unnecessary stick.

Fernando lost his man at a corner and Mangala gets blamed. A mix up in communication between Manga and Hart which leads to Eli putting the ball in row z and he gets blamed. Demichellis plays Kane onside and Manga gets blamed.
I highly doubt anyone has blamed Mangala for the occasion when Dier had a free header after Fernandinho lost him at a corner. Perhaps he has been criticized for losing track of his man, Fazio, at a subsequent corner with similar poor marking.

As for the occasion when Hart called for the ball, that was simply poor play from Mangala; poor communication and it general poor play taking the ball towards his own goal.

Also, again, I highly doubt anyone has criticized Mangala for Demichelis' poor play in the lead up to Kane's one on one with Hart. I suggest that's just hyperbole; shockingly it goes both ways in this thread.

I am in no doubt that Mangala will be a fantastic player for us, however, I don't feel the need nor insecurity to constantly say that like so many others. If he has a poor game, I'll say so; that's not a comment on him generally as a player it's always regarding his performance. If he has a good game, I'll say so; that doesn't mean I think he's the best thing since sliced bread.

He had a decent game overall yesterday, shaky first half for the most part and a solid second half. I don't feel the need to say "Demichelis was worse/He's playing next to Kolarov and has no support" every time after a game whenever someone doesn't agree with them. I don't have an opinion on him based on what a newspaper says, I can think he plays poorly and well without it having to be influenced by an article written 6-8 months ago.

This thread is filled with more comments from people who slag off other defenders and players to almost excuse any small mistake from Mangala. As well as numerous people slagging off other posters and dismissing their opinion because The Sun once printed a negative story about him so that's why any negative comment on here is based; "Idiots on here writing him off because of what the media says" etc, not true in the slightest or at all relevant at this stage but it makes people seem bluer than blue.

He's a good player, potentially great, who can have a bad game/moment like anyone else. Both sides going to needless extremes reeks of sensitivity and insecurity. Next week if he plays well the first post will no doubt be "where are all those who wrote him off?" or if he plays poorly "Where are all his supporters now?" Give it a rest and stop being so touchy.

MOTD said that it was poor play from Mangala for not covering Dier and 5 live said the same.

Mangala did 100% the right thing during the mix up with Hart. If you are not sure then you get rid. Poor communication happens between two players not one. It could have easily have been another Nastasic/Hart mix up if he did not take control.

And of course people have a right to criticise players but at least be consistent with the criticisms and give praise where its due. Mangala has been far more impressive than worse this season as the stats show.

Finally, people are bound to compare performances between players. That's why we have a competitive squad. People are always going to judge Eli's performances to Kompany's and Demi's. That's the way it goes.
They said his reaction was poor as his man, once again Fazio, purposely blocked Fernandinho and Mangala didn't react quick enough to the situation; true, not harsh. He was not "blamed" for Fernandinho not tracking his man at all.

He did not in my opinion do the right thing at all in that instance. He was a mere 3 yards away from Hart (not 4 yards from the goal itself for a cetain someone's point of view...) who inexplicably called for the ball. He didn't clear his lines at first instead opting to take a touch towards his own goal and keep the pressure on us; poor, simple as that just one occasion of poor play. The initial comment on that instance in the matchday thread came from the insecurities of others once again jumping the gun with protective comments.

Also, my point is not that people are comparing performances not at all, you've missed it entirely. People are instead ironically scapegoating others to deflect from any possible criticism of the player. "Mangala was poor".. "Well he had Kolarov playing alongside him of course he was, he has to cover for his shiteness" that's not comparing players at all, so it's not the way it goes. The first post after yesterday's game;
Had a bloody good game today, yet we'll still get people saying he was shit.
Those comments account for saying "shit" in reference to Mangala more so that people actually calling him shit.

All these white knights defending him at every corner from previous comments are ironically the one's who are stuck in their ways.

Mangala did the right thing in the mix up with Hart; he was decisive and had he dwelled on the ball, it might have become a Neville/Goater situation.

But the worrying thing is he's positionally awful; for Lamela's misshit volley, he's just bouncing around a few yards away from him. He will ultimately cost us too many goals from similar situations if we persist with him on the next few seasons, goals that will lose us vital points.

Demichelis is no better; one key issue to address this summer is finding a proper defender who complements Kompany like Lescott and then Nastasic did.

With Mangala we seem to get a real mixed bag. The one that summed him up yesterday was when he used his body to get in front of Kane on the touchline. Think it was first half. But then instead of clearing the ball allowed Kane to take the ball off him in a real dangerous area. I certainly don't dislike him, really want him to do well, but got to cut out his poor decision making.

.A. said:
Mangala did the right thing in the mix up with Hart; he was decisive and had he dwelled on the ball, it might have become a Neville/Goater situation.

But the worrying thing is he's positionally awful; for Lamela's misshit volley, he's just bouncing around a few yards away from him. He will ultimately cost us too many goals from similar situations if we persist with him on the next few seasons, goals that will lose us vital points.

Demichelis is no better; one key issue to address this summer is finding a proper defender who complements Kompany like Lescott and then Nastasic did.

This urban myth again.

lasereyes said:
.A. said:

This urban myth again.
Agreed never rated him. Not dominant enough for a centre back.

Theres a lot of shit from both sides of the argument. You have people calling him shit no matter what and then you have people trying to convince themselves he is the best CB in the world and that every mistake he makes was in fact either the mistake of someone else or good play from Mangala. There was a real mixed bag from the lad against Spuds. He did some things very well but then he also had some truly shocking moments as well. I honestly don't know if he's going to become a world beater or not but he certainly hasn't shown enough in his time here to suggest he will be so those saying people will be eating their words next season or that he will be the best CB ever is just pure conjecture and wishful thinking,

There are glaring weaknesses in his game that should have been coached out of him at youth level and that is the one thing that really worries me. He has a touch of the Kompany and runs out of position all the time, he ball watches and his marking on set pieces is frankly gash but then there are very good things like his pace, his strength, his passing, his ability in the air. Maybe he can still learn (but with our defensive coaching god knows) but to be honest I see next season as more of the same. The odd good game, the odd gash game and probably back on the bench when Kompany is fit.

RandomJ said:
Theres a lot of shit from both sides of the argument. You have people calling him shit no matter what and then you have people trying to convince themselves he is the best CB in the world and that every mistake he makes was in fact either the mistake of someone else or good play from Mangala. There was a real mixed bag from the lad against Spuds. He did some things very well but then he also had some truly shocking moments as well. I honestly don't know if he's going to become a world beater or not but he certainly hasn't shown enough in his time here to suggest he will be so those saying people will be eating their words next season or that he will be the best CB ever is just pure conjecture and wishful thinking,

There are glaring weaknesses in his game that should have been coached out of him at youth level and that is the one thing that really worries me. He has a touch of the Kompany and runs out of position all the time, he ball watches and his marking on set pieces is frankly gash but then there are very good things like his pace, his strength, his passing, his ability in the air. Maybe he can still learn (but with our defensive coaching god knows) but to be honest I see next season as more of the same. The odd good game, the odd gash game and probably back on the bench when Kompany is fit.

Depends who the manager is,if it's mp and his defensive team it'll be more of the same,a different manager and he could thrive

At the moment he doesn't measure up to Micah Richards . He puts it about in the opposition penalty area but is static in ours. He may very well have the attributes (for £35 million you'd hope so) in which case he needs coaching one to one.
When we bought him I was in Portugal and asked a cab driver about him and he pissed himself laughing.
He's had a few games now and needs to start showing the basics of a defensive player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.