Player Topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he's largely been excellent all season. The worrying thing is, Otamendi and Mangala both had good games last night yet we looked so shaky at the back. That's something for Manuel to figure out.
I thought we looked good at the back, we're just open in midfield so are 'got at' quite easily. But Mangala and Otamendi dealt with a great deal quite easily last night.

He did so much defensive work single-handedly in the early stages of the game. He seems to have cut out the over aggressiveness in closing down and pressing out wide often. I'm happy with him and Otamendi, like others have said the midfield can often leave the back four with very little protection.

I thought we looked good at the back, we're just open in midfield so are 'got at' quite easily. But Mangala and Otamendi dealt with a great deal quite easily last night.
Yeah i agree i thought Mangala and Otamendi were good, but as a unit, we are conceding chances. Unfortunately none of the pundits seem to understand that defending is down to the full team so they wait for Mangala to slightly miscue a clearance before telling everyone how the jury is still out on him. He's been excellent ever since the derby at the swamp last season (not including that game).

I thought him and Otamendi fought hard and kind of did well to just about hold it together enough but there was a total lack of leadership and understanding at the back. The amount of times the back 4 were all so out of sync and out of line - sometimes when one of the was playing offside with 2 or 3 behind him, was ridiculous. Probs partly down to Otamendi settling and the back four playing together as a unit for the first time, but we probably can't afford to be as ragged as that many times this season

Think he's largely been excellent all season. The worrying thing is, Otamendi and Mangala both had good games last night yet we looked so shaky at the back. That's something for Manuel to figure out.

Yaya wasn't helping the defense. They are always going to look shaky when we play Yaya in a midfield two against good competition. Looked fine once Fernando came on.

I don't like the way he backs off so much from forwards approaching our penalty area...the Bournemouth goal last week, by a very average player like Murray, was a typical example of this.

I don't like the way he backs off so much from forwards approaching our penalty area...the Bournemouth goal last week, by a very average player like Murray, was a typical example of this.

I have to say i agree. I am not convinced by Mangala ..., and ive prev backed him to turn things round.
On a slightly diff note, how is a player of his size and build,as a centre half, NOT causing absolute chaos in the opponents penalty box EVERY time we get a corner or set peice?

I remember Derek Mountfield ,a rugged ,leggy,determined centre half heading something like 12 goals in one season by making himself a nuisance at set peices...
Is mangalas apparent incompetence in this dept. down to a lack of technique ,desire or simply the manager not advocating center halfs using their presumed ability to be able to time their leaps towards a crossed ball to the maximum advantage of the team....
His decision not to close down Murray last week was horrendous,and i think it was him who gave the ball away in the first place anyway.

He looks shaky and a liability to me, and a million miles away from the rugged determined hard bastard performance he conjured up on his debut against Costa.

i hope i,m proved wrong and he fully settles in the team, but when a work-aday striker like Murray brings a ball down,advances towards goal,looks up and pcks his spot without being closed down by the center half, the alarm bells are ringing.

I have to say i agree. I am not convinced by Mangala ..., and ive prev backed him to turn things round.
On a slightly diff note, how is a player of his size and build,as a centre half, NOT causing absolute chaos in the opponents penalty box EVERY time we get a corner or set peice?

I remember Derek Mountfield ,a rugged ,leggy,determined centre half heading something like 12 goals in one season by making himself a nuisance at set peices...
Is mangalas apparent incompetence in this dept. down to a lack of technique ,desire or simply the manager not advocating center halfs using their presumed ability to be able to time their leaps towards a crossed ball to the maximum advantage of the team....
His decision not to close down Murray last week was horrendous,and i think it was him who gave the ball away in the first place anyway.

He looks shaky and a liability to me, and a million miles away from the rugged determined hard bastard performance he conjured up on his debut against Costa.

i hope i,m proved wrong and he fully settles in the team, but when a work-aday striker like Murray brings a ball down,advances towards goal,looks up and pcks his spot without being closed down by the center half, the alarm bells are ringing.
So.....you choose to focus on a negative from a bucket load of positives during his appearances this season - brilliant,simply brilliant.....

So.....you choose to focus on a negative from a bucket load of positives during his appearances this season - brilliant,simply brilliant.....

just my honest opinion FI.
like i say hope i,m wrong.
wasn,t there wed but ive not been comfortable with him at centre back this season.and he,s not looked comfortable either.imo

The Mangler has greats qualities, but he's surely now 3rd choice behind VK and NO. Will he be at the Etihad at next year. Not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.