Player Topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is Pudge, this hardly warrants discussion, it wasn't a major error or mistake on Mangala's part, it was more a case of he might have done better there.

He had a decent game on Tuesday night and it was his defensive partner that was causing a lot of the problems in that first half by charging around like a bull, being rash in the challenge, it reminded me of some of Vinnie's performances last season.

The thing is Pudge, this hardly warrants discussion, it wasn't a major error or mistake on Mangala's part, it was more a case of he might have done better there.

He had a decent game on Tuesday night and it was his defensive partner that was causing a lot of the problems in that first half by charging around like a bull, being rash in the challenge, it reminded me of some of Vinnie's performances last season.
Then do you know what you do? Ignore it.

If someone doesn't agree with an opinon then surely it's best to ignore it or at the very least offer a counter point rather than lying and resulting to insults as that hardly adds or initiates any discussion, does it?

Again, I haven't seen anyone pull up the "he's shit" post in the midst of the last few pages because that doesn't merit acknowledgement. But something that doesn't merit discussion somehow does merit pages and pages of posts about it. How does that work?

Then do you know what you do? Ignore it.

If someone doesn't agree with an opinon then surely it's best to ignore it or at the very least offer a counter point rather than lying and resulting to insults as that hardly adds or initiates any discussion, does it?

Again, I haven't seen anyone pull up the "he's shit" post in the midst of the last few pages because that doesn't merit acknowledgement. But something that doesn't merit discussion somehow does merit pages and pages of posts about it. How does that work?

Don't get why you're aiming that about insults at me. I haven't insulted you, have I?

I was surprised myself that there were pages of posts on what was such an insignificant incident.

as for the "he's shit" post, I personally don't see the point in engaging that type of crap because usually you just get drawn into tit for tat, panto style debates if you do.

Don't get why you're aiming that about insults at me. I haven't insulted you, have I?

I was surprised myself that there were pages of posts on what was such an insignificant incident.

as for the "he's shit" post, I personally don't see the point in engaging that type of crap because usually you just get drawn into tit for tat, panto style debates if you do.
I'm not, apologies if that's how it's read.

I actually think that play matters. So do many others that don't result in goals.

It was a mistake by Mangala. He mis-judged the trajectory of the ball. That the striker also mis- judged the trajectory of the ball is frankly irrelevant. Mang's job is not to defend whwn the striker is doing the right thing, its to defend all the time. If he didn't misjudge that ball, it would have been an easy clearance. Actually it could have been a controlled headed pass to one of the 4 City players in the vicinity.

But instead, that unforced error led to a breakaway. The post discussion of Otamendi moving into his position or Clichy closing in, is more after the fact hubris. At that point Gladbach controlled play, and based on City's movements they could have made different decisions. Ota could have moved closer and the point of play switch to create something just as dangerous.

Point here i s this, there was only 1 point in that sequence in which City had a 50/50 chance, Mang had it, and messed it up by overrunning the play coz he was closing the striker and not focussing on the ball.

Everything beyond that point was always advantage Gladbach. Sure Yaya could have moved more aggressively, Otamendi could have squeezed the space, kolarov could have stayed with his guy, e.t.c. But the only significant error occurred on the 50/50 ball.

To that effect, Pudge is right. It was Mang's mistake.

I actually think that play matters. So do many others that don't result in goals.

It was a mistake by Mangala. He mis-judged the trajectory of the ball. That the striker also mis- judged the trajectory of the ball is frankly irrelevant. Mang's job is not to defend whwn the striker is doing the right thing, its to defend all the time. If he didn't misjudge that ball, it would have been an easy clearance. Actually it could have been a controlled headed pass to one of the 4 City players in the vicinity.

But instead, that unforced error led to a breakaway. The post discussion of Otamendi moving into his position or Clichy closing in, is more after the fact hubris. At that point Gladbach controlled play, and based on City's movements they could have made different decisions. Ota could have moved closer and the point of play switch to create something just as dangerous.

Point here i s this, there was only 1 point in that sequence in which City had a 50/50 chance, Mang had it, and messed it up by overrunning the play coz he was closing the striker and not focussing on the ball.

Everything beyond that point was always advantage Gladbach. Sure Yaya could have moved more aggressively, Otamendi could have squeezed the space, kolarov could have stayed with his guy, e.t.c. But the only significant error occurred on the 50/50 ball.

To that effect, Pudge is right. It was Mang's mistake.

Kolarov could have won the ball when Mangala forced it out wide? No?

Otamendi trying to play offside wasn't an error?

Fuck me, are people arguing over one mistake?

Christ, I'm off to the Silva thread as I remember him giving the ball away twice - he's utter shite.

Kolarov could have won the ball when Mangala forced it out wide? No?

Otamendi trying to play offside wasn't an error?
Kolarov went in to double the player and the ball squibbled out toward the sideline the striker and Kolarov gives chase, he and the striker body each other and the, ball pops to his teammate. In that sequence, the Striker had the advantage.

Yaya should have dropped further or closed in on his man ( But either decision still left Gladbach with options) point being Gladbach still had options.

Otamendi jumping in to try to get an offside is similar to Yaya not dropping deeper, neither changes the fact that Gladbach had the advantage at that point.

If you consider those errors, then it was an error for Mangala not to drop back into position once he pushed the play outside where Kolarov was now in position to deal with the striker. Instead he follows the play to stay with the striker which is fine, but then left the striker and gambled on intercepting the ball.

All these are errors in a sense, but they are instantaneous errors. You find yourself in a bad situation and you make quick decision hoping for the best result.

That wasn't the case when the ball was in the air. At that point it was really advantage Mangala. He muffed that, and from that point on, it was advantage Gladbach with us scrabbling.

Fuck me, are people arguing over one mistake?

Christ, I'm off to the Silva thread as I remember him giving the ball away twice - he's utter shite.
That's really not the point now is it?

Kolarov went in to double the player and the ball squibbled out toward the sideline the striker and Kolarov gives chase, he and the striker body each other and the, ball pops to his teammate. In that sequence, the Striker had the advantage.

Yaya should have dropped further or closed in on his man ( But either decision still left Gladbach with options) point being Gladbach still had options.

Otamendi jumping in to try to get an offside is similar to Yaya not dropping deeper, neither changes the fact that Gladbach had the advantage at that point.

If you consider those errors, then it was an error for Mangala not to drop back into position once he pushed the play outside where Kolarov was now in position to deal with the striker. Instead he follows the play to stay with the striker which is fine, but then left the striker and gambled on intercepting the ball.

All these are errors in a sense, but they are instantaneous errors. You find yourself in a bad situation and you make quick decision hoping for the best result.

That wasn't the case when the ball was in the air. At that point it was really advantage Mangala. He muffed that, and from that point on, it was advantage Gladbach with us scrabbling.

Ok, if you insist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.