Player Topic: Eliaquim Mangala (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a mad assessment that shows a disappointing grasp of basic defensive concepts
What part of the basics of defending is getting sucked in high up, spun by the striker and dragged out wide out of position? Chapter 1 or?

Again, a City striker does that and we applaud him, a City defender is the victim and we excuse it.

Such vague posts that only hint at intelligence add so, so much.

Once that ball bounces and goes out wide, yes, Otamendi and Clichy should come across instead of leaving the gap they did. However, that ball shouldn't have been allowed to bounce.

If it makes all of you feel better then insult me all you like, at least I didn't call him "shite". You'd ignore if I did apparently..

Last edited:
It's probably a good job Jason Denayer is out on loan, he would probably be classed as 'shit' by now if he wasn't. Imagine a 'Brendan Galloway' thread in bluemoon if he was a City player and he got torn apart like he did against Navas, he would be classed as a league one player at best I imagine.

The way he has treat Mangala in the passed is a disgrace and it can only stall a young players progress until confidence is reinstalled. He doesn't think twice about hooking or dropping Mangala when things aren't going right. I only imagine what Mangala must feel like in them situations while other players who are as bad get left on and seem to escape critics. Demi is a fine example, whoever plays next to Demi is in for one hell of a game the majority of the time and whoever is paired with him will be made to look average. Now it's not just Demi, sometimes the system makes matters worse aswel, but my point is Manuel always seems to blame young Mangala for his poor decisions as a manager. And for this I would say he's one of the reasons why Mangala receives so many critics from the press and pundits.

"I only imagine" being the most important thing you have said in this post. You can't blame the manager for everything. Mangala has potential IMO but most fans & pundits agree he has made mistakes & the manager HAD to take action. He hasn't ruled him out in any way!

Mangala was in very good form at the start of the season until being (unfairly IMO) dropped to make way for Otamendi. His form hasn't really been the same since but he hasn't really had a settled partner if defence. I'm confident he will be a good partner for Kompany when he returns and also for Otamendi when they have had a bit more time together in the PL.

What part of the basics of defending is getting sucked in high up, spun by the striker and dragged out wide out of position? Chapter 1 or?

It was Yaya Toure's fault.

Mangala has an issue whereby the entire pitch misjudged the flight of the ball, and then he tries to make up for players around him not doing their job. This is an incredibly large stretch to blame Mangala or even Otamendi for not moving across for that shot because the ball bounced.

I'm not good with videos so you'll have to pause this as the text changes.

Yaya Toure either had to press that man so he couldn't get the ball or he had to drop back into the gal and leave it solid. Instead he did neither, I don't even think he turned his head to realise it was there.

Mangala has an issue whereby the entire pitch misjudged the flight of the ball, and then he tries to make up for players around him not doing their job. This is an incredibly large stretch to blame Mangala or even Otamendi for not moving across for that shot because the ball bounced.

Yaya Toure either had to press that man so he couldn't get the ball or he had to drop back into the gal and leave it solid. Instead he did neither, I don't even think he turned his head to realise it was there.

Fancy vid but after 2 seconds it's disregarded.

Note how the striker looks over his shoulder when Mangala comes towards, seeing he's sucked the defender in. He then knows the balls going in behind over his head as that was his intention, he spins in behind Mangala who was half focused on the ball/half focused on the player. Good play from the striker, niave from Mangala. He's allowed the striker to get in behind him by, your words, misjudging the flight of the ball. That alone is a mistake is it not?

I won't say that it's a poor grasp of basic attacking play from a striker though..

Had that been Iheanacho everyone would be praising his savvy play turning the defender, no doubt about it.

Last edited:

What do you mean by the entire pitch misjudged the flight of the ball? It was Mangalas job to judge it in the air and deal with it as it was more or less on his head. I think the text is being pretty kind when it says it might have changed trajectory. The only other explanation would be they both lost sight because of the floodlights.
That said, you're correct about Toure. He was also well behind play on their first goal although I'm putting that down to Clichys awful defending on the half way line allowing himself to be turned so easily. It happened a couple of times with Toure last night, finding himself at least 10 yards behind where he needed to be. That's why I'm surprised that so many think he was excellent. His couple of impressive runs have blinded people to the fact that he wasn't doing other aspects of his job as well as he should.

Fancy vid but after 2 seconds it's disregarded.

Then if you're at a point in this discussion where you're disregarding it "after two seconds" then we're done here and you're useless to a discussion forum.

Then if you're at a point in this discussion where you're disregarding it "after two seconds" then we're done here and you're useless to a discussion forum.
But insults, accusations of fabrication and questioning poeple's integrity are useful to such discussions and make this quaint little forum just that are they?

Good to know what's what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.