Player topic: Frank Lampard (2014/15)

Re: Frank Lampard (staying until end of season confirmed P11

goalmole said:
andrewmswift said:
m7mcfc said:

Despite living in a city with another major MLS franchise who I previously kinda-sorta supported—but never vehemently by any means).

I do not understand I kind of supported.

I live in D.C., but only moved here when I was almost 25. I paid zero attention, at all, to the MLS before 2011-2012 really, and I've been to only a few games. So it's my local "club" since if I had to choose any of the MLS franchises it's clearly the one I previously had the most affinity with. NYCFC changed all that.

It's hard to understand, I know, but the league isn't even 20 years old. None of these fanbases are entrenched really
So an American football fan watches a team for 20 years and still his loyalty is not entrenched? Fuck me.
You're not kidding, that really is hard to understand.

I would say he doesn't speak for the whole fan base of US football. I've been supporting the Chicago Fire since I moved to the city (coming from Wisconsin where there is no MLS side). Just because NYCFC has an affiliation with Manchester City doesn't mean I'm dropping the Fire. Good luck to NYCFC and all as it will help out MCFC along the way, but I've got a team and I am entrenched.

Like they say only in America.. a new club, not played a game, dont have their own ground... the "fans" have never seen them train ....but they have a supporters club ?? 3rd rail...( maybe they will be the new inter city gang)

They also say they are the voice (3rd rail) of the fans ???

Victoria-bahs said:
Like they say only in America.. a new club, not played a game, dont have their own ground... the "fans" have never seen them train ....but they have a supporters club ?? 3rd rail...( maybe they will be the new inter city gang)

They also say they are the voice (3rd rail) of the fans ???

In USA you got more supporter clubs than teams... The supporter clubs usually do the groundwork for actually having a team in place, stuff like political lobbying for instance.
Some supporter clubs have an history much longer than the teams itself and if the team disappear they might attach themselves to another club or try to make sure that a new club turn up in their area.

Where does this idea that he was always a City player and never in fact a NYCFC player come from?

Is this just something invented by the press to stir the shit or is there something official on this?

Surely the most important aspect of all this is the player himself ?

Frank has decided that the best thing for his career is to stay at City..

The club and player both want this and that should be the matter closed...

Prestwich_Blue said:
I can't help but think that we've scored a major PR own-goal with this if you look back to the announcement on the NYCFC webpage.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nycfc.com/post/2014/07/24/welcome-new-york-city-frank-lampard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nycfc.com/post/2014/07/24/we ... nk-lampard</a>

New York City FC, Major League Soccer’s 20th expansion team, is thrilled to announce the signing of England National Team and Chelsea FC legend Frank Lampard. One of the most illustrious and respected English Premier League midfielders of all time, Lampard becomes the team’s fourth team member, as the Club continues to assemble a competitive and dynamic squad ahead of its inaugural season next year.

Lampard joins David Villa, Jeb Brovsky and Josh Saunders on the roster at the Club and has signed a two-year contract which starts August 1st. He will wear the number 8 jersey, the number he has worn throughout his decorated career in European football.

It really isn't in any way ambiguous from that statement.

It isn't but nowhere in that statement does it stipulate when Lampard would begin playing for them.

yayas trusty right foot said:

So what do we say to the New Yorkers that have bought tickets to see him and shirts with his name.. ?
This is a PR disaster worse than anything we have ever seen before, even papers in China and India are pushing this story. Abu Dhabi will not be happy I tell you.

Rolee said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
I can't help but think that we've scored a major PR own-goal with this if you look back to the announcement on the NYCFC webpage.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nycfc.com/post/2014/07/24/welcome-new-york-city-frank-lampard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nycfc.com/post/2014/07/24/we ... nk-lampard</a>

New York City FC, Major League Soccer’s 20th expansion team, is thrilled to announce the signing of England National Team and Chelsea FC legend Frank Lampard. One of the most illustrious and respected English Premier League midfielders of all time, Lampard becomes the team’s fourth team member, as the Club continues to assemble a competitive and dynamic squad ahead of its inaugural season next year.

Lampard joins David Villa, Jeb Brovsky and Josh Saunders on the roster at the Club and has signed a two-year contract which starts August 1st. He will wear the number 8 jersey, the number he has worn throughout his decorated career in European football.

It isn't but nowhere in that statement does it stipulate when Lampard would begin playing for them.
I only reproduced part of it but there's nothing in the whole thing that suggests he won't be starting the season with them.

S04 said:
yayas trusty right foot said:

So what do we say to the New Yorkers that have bought tickets to see him and shirts with his name.. ?
This is a PR disaster worse than anything we have ever seen before, even papers in China and India are pushing this story. Abu Dhabi will not be happy I tell you.

Tell them they'll still see him but it will just be a bit later than they may have anticipated

Prestwich_Blue said:
Rolee said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

I only reproduced part of it but there's nothing in the whole thing that suggests he won't be starting the season with them.

True but there's also nothing in the statement saying he would.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.