Player Topic: Jesus Navas (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
By having Navas and Sterling out wide, it not only stretches the midfield but leaves both open to long passes from across the pitch. This is clearly something we've been working on and was immediately evident in the Melbourne City game. The microphones picked up their management team complaining that we were pulling them to one side, forcing them to double up, and then releasing the freeman on the other side. I'd imagine Sterling will be the prime beneficiary of Navas' discipline in holding the line and, in turn, our width.

It was a fabulous team performance and everyone did their bit and played well. However Navas is not at the standard of Aguero, Silva, Toure, Zabaletta, Kompany or Nasri.

If we are aiming for the highest high then Navas should be an impact substitute and a Capital One starter, he is not good enough to start, especially when DeBruyne joins us. He will howeve be one of the best squad players we have ever had.

Anyone that thinks he's regular first team material are not looking to win the CL.

I noticed a few slagging him off in the after match thread but I thought he had an excellent game, arguably one of his best in a City shirt. Aside from one cross which sailed over everyone's head and almost went into the opposite stand, he was absolute quality.
His work rate is often overlooked too. Of all our attacking players, he is the one most likely to track back at pace and help out defensively.

Surprised Navas hasn't been mentioned more after his excellent performance against West Brom. Didn't stop working all night, got some excellent balls into their box and put their defenders under pressure.

Really important team player who's always been underestimated IMHO.
I wouldn't say he is over a whole season. He's a cracking team player, he works his socks off, his short passing is good -but- about seven games out of ten his crossing quality is poor and his finishing is poor. The amount of times he hits the defenders shins when crossing or has a poor effort at goal is very high.

Saying that he is capable of getting it right. He was excellent at Stamford Bridge for 93 minutes last season (and then was bobbins in the 94th minute with poor choices and a poor corner - but still had a good game overall) and he was excellent the other night and was good in the run-in last season.

He certainly needs improving on for first choice though, hence the chase of de Bruyne. But I hope he stays because he brings a lot to the team and he'd be an ideal squad player.

It was a fabulous team performance and everyone did their bit and played well. However Navas is not at the standard of Aguero, Silva, Toure, Zabaletta, Kompany or Nasri.

If we are aiming for the highest high then Navas should be an impact substitute and a Capital One starter, he is not good enough to start, especially when DeBruyne joins us. He will howeve be one of the best squad players we have ever had.

Anyone that thinks he's regular first team material are not looking to win the CL.
Over a 60 game season, he's perfectly good enough to start 20-25 games, not just FL Cup and FA Cup. But he does need improving on for the biggest games.

I noticed a few slagging him off in the after match thread but I thought he had an excellent game, arguably one of his best in a City shirt. Aside from one cross which sailed over everyone's head and almost went into the opposite stand, he was absolute quality.
His work rate is often overlooked too. Of all our attacking players, he is the one most likely to track back at pace and help out defensively.

Hard working - Agreed
Speedy - Agreed
Committed - Agreed

Do you think he's worthy of a starting place? For me it's a big NO! However he will have a massive impact as a substitute late on when defences are knackered, that is the key role and biggest contribution Navas can make to this squad. He is just not good enough to warrant a starting place IMO.

Mmmm one half decent game doesn't cover up his normal performance. A winger that rarely beats his man and can't cross. Mystifying why we persist with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.