Player Topic: Kelechi Iheanacho (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick stat: 133 minutes of playing time - 3 goals and 2 assists... That's a goal or assist every 27 minutes... That's Messi in his prime stat level... He can't keep this stat up, can he?

(p.s. Yes, I know. One of the goals didn't count... but it should have.)

Glad you are counting his second goal because i feel the same way...
3 goals scored in my books....
Let's hope he remains grounded and continues to work hard.

Without wanting to do a disservice to Nigeria/Africa and its football, it's astonishing how good he has become after playing in amateur and youth football in Nigeria.

He must have stood out like a sore thumb in his last few years, either that or that academy of his is an absolute hotbed of talent.

I wonder how much of a difference playing in Europe from a young age (early teens say) at top standard academies, would have made to his ability?

Kelechi Iheanacho is one of the first products of a new youth development programme in Nigeria. He has played since U13 level and much like many of his U17 gold winning squad there are extremely talented. And honestly - at youth level I think the exposure to football kids have in Africa actually benefits them. The problem is proper training once the players hit 18+, not below.

His teammate Isaac Success is a starter in La Liga, albeit at a weak club, while Musa Yahaya (Tottenham) has yet to be 18 years old and isn't playing yet. You also have Taiwo Awoniyi (Liverpool), Chidere Ezeh (Porto), Dele Alampasu, Musa Muhammed, Saviour Godwin who are all doing decent despite their young age. I also think Chidiebere Nwakali who was also bought by Manchester City is a bit of a unheralded player due to his position.

This was a supremely talented bunch of youngsters and it looks like the next generations won't be any different. Kelechi Nwakali (Chidebere's younger brother) is tearing it up at this U17 World Cup and apparently he is also going to join Manchester City. Also Victor Osimhen is a truely powerhouse striker (7 in 4 at the tournament).

I just honestly think the future belongs to Nigerian footballers, but they have to build proper senior training facilities in Nigeria.

Kelechi Iheanacho is one of the first products of a new youth development programme in Nigeria. He has played since U13 level and much like many of his U17 gold winning squad there are extremely talented. And honestly - at youth level I think the exposure to football kids have in Africa actually benefits them. The problem is proper training once the players hit 18+, not below.

His teammate Isaac Success is a starter in La Liga, albeit at a weak club, while Musa Yahaya (Tottenham) has yet to be 18 years old and isn't playing yet. You also have Taiwo Awoniyi (Liverpool), Chidere Ezeh (Porto), Dele Alampasu, Musa Muhammed, Saviour Godwin who are all doing decent despite their young age. I also think Chidiebere Nwakali who was also bought by Manchester City is a bit of a unheralded player due to his position.

This was a supremely talented bunch of youngsters and it looks like the next generations won't be any different. Kelechi Nwakali (Chidebere's younger brother) is tearing it up at this U17 World Cup and apparently he is also going to join Manchester City. Also Victor Osimhen is a truely powerhouse striker (7 in 4 at the tournament).

I just honestly think the future belongs to Nigerian footballers, but they have to build proper senior training facilities in Nigeria.

You got it exactly right. That team that won the 2013 U17 is the most talented team ever produced by Nigeria. They should have won the U21 this year, but the coach messed up the team. Kelechi was actually not the best player on the team, it was Isaac Success, but he got injured at the WC which allowed Kelechi to overtake him.

As a Nigerian, I am very happy Kelechi is with Man City. We still remember how Mourinho ruined Mikel, which the Super Eagles have not recovered from. Unlike City fans, I actually agree with Pellegrini's plan to bring him on slowly.

You got it exactly right. That team that won the 2013 U17 is the most talented team ever produced by Nigeria. They should have won the U21 this year, but the coach messed up the team. Kelechi was actually not the best player on the team, it was Isaac Success, but he got injured at the WC which allowed Kelechi to overtake him.

As a Nigerian, I am very happy Kelechi is with Man City. We still remember how Mourinho ruined Mikel, which the Super Eagles have not recovered from. Unlike City fans, I actually agree with Pellegrini's plan to bring him on slowly.

Thanks for the info....we have high hopes for Kelechi and he is already a crowd favourite. Do you think his success here would result in more Nigerians supporting City.

Thanks for the info....we have high hopes for Kelechi and he is already a crowd favourite. Do you think his success here would result in more Nigerians supporting City.
Most definately , I'm a Nigerian and a Chelsea fan a loyal one at that but the rate at which I follow man city of recent will make you think otherwise

I rep Nigeria (Naija as we often call it)!!!! I think we have one of the most talented U17 players in the world but we have not found a way to nurture them to stardom. I hope city would partner with such academies that produced Kelechi and his mates.

Does anyone know why Alex Iwobi was in the original squad before Kelechi? If I remember correctly the Nigerian coach said Kelechi had to be playing for us before he would make the senior squad.

However, that can't be true if Iwobi, also 19, hasn't been starting for Arsenal barring the other night. Is Iwobi dual nationality so they fast tracked him?

I like the look of the lad. However, some Blues need to calm down a bit.

Absolutely agree. He is being well managed by the club and slowly integrated into the first team. He has shown great ability, but we need to allow his development and staking a claim as a first teamer to continue to be managed and introduced as and when the management see fit.

I'm sure he will come good, but patience will be needed by fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.