Player Topic: Raheem Sterling (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
loan back to liverpool. his confidence is gone, for whatever reason as 2+2 in all comps isn't THAT bad.

OK, let me try and make this easier for some of you....

The City game is to have attacking full backs and to pack our players into the width of the pitch between the 18 yard box. It is not a new tactic, and is what made Zaba famous,many Clichy deemed a liability (because he never gets a cross in and loves to check back inside and slow/stop the play).

Sterling was bought to add speed and backtracking to our left flank, because we need to have some speed AND COVER for our marauding full backs. His forte is taking in players and pulling them outside while he heads inside for a shot on his right foot...because his left is for standing on. It was even mentioned in the commentary today by Danny Mills when Kyle Walker got jinked. Sterling does NOT want to go outside and whip a ball in....cue Aleks Kolarov!

Kolarov is an option to get the ball into the danger area for our striker and attacking midfielders. I think you can count the number of times Sterling has done that on one hand....not because he is shit, but because that is not his game, just like Navas (which is another story!).

Sterling clearly has ability, but he has to use that ability to produce results in the City scheme. He can do it, because he has already done it. Today was a bad day at the office for him. The defender was up his arse the whole game and he rarely had a chance to run at anyone. However, as we saw when Lloris made a magnificent save down to his right, Sterling definitely has the ability to cut inside, make half a yard for himself and grab a hatful for goals over time, but he just looks short of confidence.

Today, I'd have taken him off and put Barker on for the last 15-20 minutes. As it was, Pelle chose to give Roberts another run out and put Sterling in the middle, giving Aguero a bit of a rest for midweek.

Kolarov is there to provide him an option. If he could cut inside and beat a player, then Kolarov would not be an issue. However, Sterling seems unable to get the ball out from under his feet and is making it easy for the defenders to dispossess him or simply take him out of the play. Looks to me like his confidence has taken a knock, possiblybevause he realizes he is in a squad that is at a different level than he was at with the Dippers.

Our problem on the left is definitely NOT Kolarov!

Absolutely this. If Nasri or Silva had been playing on the left side, he would have surely whipped in some deadly crosses. It was Kyle Walker, for God's sake!

His game is stalled sheerly because of the ineptitude of Aleksandar Kolarov. The lad is constantly looking over his shoulder to track back, which yes is needed but that's all he seems to be doing as Kolarov bombs past him and ambles back to where his position should be. The sooner we get Clichy back in this team, the sooner we see the real potential of Raheem.
you need to watch the game, he was ambling about and not getting back today to help kolarov, a lot of their attacks came down that side

Another poor game from him. Still waiting for him to live up to the hype.
Before he signed for us I used to laugh at the hype. He's just a half decent, little, tricky-ish player with good pace. He's English and played for Liverpool so was way overhyped.

He might end up being a decent player but I've read posts by Blues since he's signed for us saying he's going to be the best player in the world. I think people need to reign that shit in big time. For me, with all the deficiencies in his game he should be in rotation with Nasri this season and not put too much pressure on him to perform week-in-week-out.

Yes full backs go forward. It's ok to go forward and provide an option. However, the full back must choose when to overlap and when to hold a run. Koralov overlaps when he shouldn't, there was times today he choose to overlap when he should of left the space for sterling to run into. Not only did he take the space Sterling would of liked to use, he left City open to a counter attack.

It will take time for Sterling to improve his finishing. Whether he can get that right this season is debatable but I will continue to back him as he will improve and he has other parts of his game which very useful to the team.

you need to watch the game, he was ambling about and not getting back today to help kolarov, a lot of their attacks came down that side

There was a passage late in the game when Kolarov made another lengthy run to overlap and Sterling, not for the first time today, lost possession. He made no attempt to chase back with Kolarov who, given the number of times he burst a gut for absolutely no reward, can feel justifiably peeved this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.