Player topic: Stevan Jovetic (2014/15)

Damocles said:
Ecstatic he's going.

One of our least effective signings since the takeover. All style and no substance, good riddance to him.

Slightly harsh that dam, he's a good player and its a shame he's just never got going for us.

Shown bits towards the end of last season which made me think he could do well this season however due to injuries(again) and poor form it just hasn't worked out

I can see him being successful in Italy where the game is slower and he's quickr than most but I just don't think he's up to it in this league

I'm hopeful of getting 15-20mil for him but it wouldn't surprise me if he was loaned out!

He's a headless chicken... thought he was going to be a great signing but he's been a big dissapointment

richards30 said:
Damocles said:
Ecstatic he's going.

One of our least effective signings since the takeover. All style and no substance, good riddance to him.

Slightly harsh that dam, he's a good player and its a shame he's just never got going for us.

I'm ecstatic too! I feel like we can move forward with his depature. All the signs are that Bony will come in and get the goals we need and take some pressure of Kun.

richards30 said:
Damocles said:
Ecstatic he's going.

True but the lad drives me absolutely daft. He tries things that look good rather than are good decisions and that's one of my hot button annoyances for players. I love seeing players do a little trick and open up some space but there is a difference between this and doing it for the sake of it which Jovetic does.

Straight from the basics - I think he often comes on late when we're chasing a game and actually wastes more time by holding on to the ball for far too long and trying some of the most ridiculous long shots I've seen since Didi Hamann had that period of twatting it from 30 yards every time he went near the ball. Not sure he's ever even hit the target or won a corner from them, they all seem to fly into the stands and often in injury time when we need a goal.

He also has one trick that he consistently and repeatedly gets wrong - a chipped through ball over the line of defence so Aguero or whomever can run on to it. The amount of times he misjudges this one pass and it either goes out or a goalkeeper gratefully catches the ball has become irritating.

One of my biggest bugbears is what I mentioned earlier; his inability to just be a footballer and not attempt to be flashy. An example that coems to mind immediately was his backheel goal against Sunderland:

[video]https://vine.co/v/ODDInhLK7Ur[/video]

There is absolutely no reason to backheel that ball and add ten times the risk to the contact than there is to sidefoot it cleanly into the net - something Aguero, who is a far superior striker in every regard, does on almost every near post cross. He does it because he wants to score goals and doesn't care if he scores them with his cock, he does the lowest risk for the highest reward. Whilst that touch actually went in there have been numerous times he has done things like that and has completely missed, numerous times where he had a little backheel that went nowhere at all and it is frustrating to see from a 25 year old.

Speaking of age, I'm also ecstatic because one of the bees in my proverbial bonnet recently has been our commitment to youth or lack thereof and specifically where in the world Marcos Lopes who is playing first team football now is going to fit into our squad when he returns. If Jovetic goes then Lopes slots straight in. Given that he is a homegrown player at the club and that he would suffer far, far less injury issues than Jovetic, you could argue that he would probably be the more effective member of the squad in that off-the-striker position that Jovetic has played.

Best news I've heard in weeks this. £15m in the bank from some Italians, place for Lopes in the squad and we probably come out on top in terms of effectiveness.

Damocles said:
richards30 said:
Damocles said:
Ecstatic he's going.

True but the lad drives me absolutely daft. He tries things that look good rather than are good decisions and that's one of my hot button annoyances for players. I love seeing players do a little trick and open up some space but there is a difference between this and doing it for the sake of it which Jovetic does.

Straight from the basics - I think he often comes on late when we're chasing a game and actually wastes more time by holding on to the ball for far too long and trying some of the most ridiculous long shots I've seen since Didi Hamann had that period of twatting it from 30 yards every time he went near the ball. Not sure he's ever even hit the target or won a corner from them, they all seem to fly into the stands and often in injury time when we need a goal.

He also has one trick that he consistently and repeatedly gets wrong - a chipped through ball over the line of defence so Aguero or whomever can run on to it. The amount of times he misjudges this one pass and it either goes out or a goalkeeper gratefully catches the ball has become irritating.

One of my biggest bugbears is what I mentioned earlier; his inability to just be a footballer and not attempt to be flashy. An example that coems to mind immediately was his backheel goal against Sunderland:

[video]https://vine.co/v/ODDInhLK7Ur[/video]

There is absolutely no reason to backheel that ball and add ten times the risk to the contact than there is to sidefoot it cleanly into the net - something Aguero, who is a far superior striker in every regard, does on almost every near post cross. He does it because he wants to score goals and doesn't care if he scores them with his cock, he does the lowest risk for the highest reward. Whilst that touch actually went in there have been numerous times he has done things like that and has completely missed, numerous times where he had a little backheel that went nowhere at all and it is frustrating to see from a 25 year old.

Speaking of age, I'm also ecstatic because one of the bees in my proverbial bonnet recently has been our commitment to youth or lack thereof and specifically where in the world Marcos Lopes who is playing first team football now is going to fit into our squad when he returns. If Jovetic goes then Lopes slots straight in. Given that he is a homegrown player at the club and that he would suffer far, far less injury issues than Jovetic, you could argue that he would probably be the more effective member of the squad in that off-the-striker position that Jovetic has played.

Best news I've heard in weeks this. £15m in the bank from some Italians, place for Lopes in the squad and we probably come out on top in terms of effectiveness.

Excellent post.

A great summary of Jovetic at City.

kenzie115 said:
Hardly a shocking revelation, in fact, I think he's done well to limit his comments to this. In reality I'd imagine he's thoroughly pissed off.

It's a shame because I think if he's used correctly he could be brilliant, but he'll likely leave in the summer.

Why couldn't he just keep his mouth shut, work hard and try to make it work at City. If that didn't work then move in the summer.
Milner may stay or go but he's a model pro and doesn't go crying to the press about the club that pays him so well.

Bye Bye Stevan, I'd say thanks for the memories but I can only remember one. Chelsea at home in the FA cup.

Still not sure about him - is he all style and no substance or is he a misunderstood talent? I agree with others that his flicks and decision making are often infuriating but is this because he 's trying too hard to impress? No one is going to displace Kun so perhaps he feels he needs to go for glory - counter argument is he wants to impress quickly because he is always sodding injured.
In the end if he does go it's his injury record plus the fact he seems to want to play in the withdrawn role that Silva has that says to me if we get a decent price then best to get rid.

Too many injuries to justify his place in the CL squad like he said he deserved. Too many times he has been in and out of the team, thought this year might be the time he steps up but its the same dillema as last season.

If he does back to Italy no doubt he will be firing on all cylinders and the uk media will brand city for making a mistake on how we play and choosing Bony rather than him leading him to leave us.

Bye Stevan

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.