Player Topic: Vincent Kompany (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very sad day today and sort of had the Lake/Bell feel about it. Hope he is back soon as he has played perhaps the biggest part of our success over the years and will not be easily replaced. However, I just felt his comments and those of Hart last week do not sound hopeful of him recovering his true fitness and form.

Reading his statement is a reminder of what kind of footballer and man Vincent Kompany is. Worldy-wise enough to put things into perspective but determined to get back his fitness and wants to be the best, for himself and for the club he loves and for the country he loves. All of you on here moaning about him should remember his leap when he scored v ManU in the 1-0 in the 2012 title-winning season and how he was jumping like a kid on his birthday at the end of the QPR match. Brave, strong, dedicated, that's Kompany, and none of you moaners would dare say any of what's been said against him to his face. He'll be back and he'll be lifting a trphy or three before May is done.

He has played about half of our matches in all competitions for the previous three seasons and has now played a fourth of the matches so far this season.

I don't think he should leave—he can still contribute—but asking why we need to buy a replacement or designate/develop a new captain is a bit perplexing. It implies that the best course of action for the club/team is to continue with the current situation of more often than not playing second, third, or fourth choice centrebacks, and a makeshift captain (Yaya), while we wait for Kompany's latest injury to heal.

He'll always be a legend in my mind but it is looking more and more likely he'll never get back to the standard he showed a few seasons ago (even when he was back last year he looked slower and more rash than before).

We need to start looking for his replacement while he can still play from time-to-time and mentor our youngsters. Actually, we need to convince him to become a coach in 5 or 6 years.

I'm no expert, but his warm up didn't seem particularly extensive, I would have thought that the warm up before your first competitive action for ages would need to be built up slowly and focussed on getting that calf nice and loose.

From what I could see he seemed to warm up for quite a long time and was doing lots of stretches and seemed to be concentrating on loosening up the calf. However, I wonder if the fact that he didn't warm up at all during the first half might have hampered him? Also, he didn't appear to be limping as he walked off the pitch, not to the extent I would have expected if it were serious.

I'm not even sure that he would have come off at all if it hadn't been for Kolarov frantically signalling to the bench, I think they thought at first that it was him but then he started gesturing to his sleeve as in the arm band and pointing over toward Kompany.

Let's hope that it isn't serious and that it was just a precaution.

From what I could see he seemed to warm up for quite a long time and was doing lots of stretches and seemed to be concentrating on loosening up the calf. However, I wonder if the fact that he didn't warm up at all during the first half might have hampered him? Also, he didn't appear to be limping as he walked off the pitch, not to the extent I would have expected if it were serious.

I'm not even sure that he would have come off at all if it hadn't been for Kolarov frantically signalling to the bench, I think they thought at first that it was him but then he started gesturing to his sleeve as in the arm band and pointing over toward Kompany.

Let's hope that it isn't serious and that it was just a precaution.
He didn't go down so maybe he's just felt it's not right. But I think he'll be out for some weeks.

I felt for him today when he came off. He looked absolutely gutted.

The sad reality is that we can no longer rely on him to remain fit for any significant length of time.

Someone on here said they were told Kompany's calf will never really recover. Didn't really believe it, but not so sure after today.

Can anybody see Kompany coming back to play 30+ games a season? I can't. Surely all these injuries will start to have an effect on his performance level too. Very sad times, probably our best ever centre back.

He has played about half of our matches in all competitions for the previous three seasons and has now played a fourth of the matches so far this season.

I don't think he should leave—he can still contribute—but asking why we need to buy a replacement or designate/develop a new captain is a bit perplexing. It implies that the best course of action for the club/team is to continue with the current situation of more often than not playing second, third, or fourth choice centrebacks, and a makeshift captain (Yaya), while we wait for Kompany's latest injury to heal.

He'll always be a legend in my mind but it is looking more and more likely he'll never get back to the standard he showed a few seasons ago (even when he was back last year he looked slower and more rash than before).

We need to start looking for his replacement while he can still play from time-to-time and mentor our youngsters. Actually, we need to convince him to become a coach in 5 or 6 years.

Agreed for the most part. I think you're spot on with the last part, he's always been a fantastic embassador for the club.

The problem with the issue of captaincy is that who else can step into that role in the squad? Having Yaya as the captain makes very little sense to me but the rest of the squad clearly respect him so maybe I'm wrong. Joe Hart would be a better fit but it's hard to command the rest of the team from the back. I have a soft spot for Kolarov but he is never a captain for a top team. The issue isn't with the armband so much as that we're missing another vocal presence outfield who can galvanise and inspire the rest of the team.

In terms of "replacing" him, I was hoping this was the season to try and integrate Denayer into the team. Not that he would be ready to take on Vinny's level of influence but he looks like a pretty solid bet from what has been available to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.